Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old December 27 2013, 07:13 PM   #16
E-DUB
Captain

Re: Destiny Trilogy - Totally awesome (spoilers)

Been down with a bug this week so I re-read this series. "Epic" doesn't begin to describe it. Loved the nod to "Shawshank" at the end.
E-DUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2013, 04:39 AM   #17
Mr Light
Admiral

I just finished the Destiny trilogy! It was excellent! This is the kind of epic grandeur that I feel that old school Star Trek didn't really accomplish. I loved how vast and sweeping the story was, how it encorporated so many characters and managed to tie into about 30 different Trek episodes from all the series.

It felt like the series finale of the Star Trek universe! I never expected such an apocalyptic story to take place within main Trek continuity.

My only complaint is that WAY too much time is spent with the Columbia crew living with the Caeliar. I understand this is vital to the story and they're the ones that originate the Borg and defeat them... but there was just too many pages about them sitting around doing nothing while in captivity.

I did think the origin of the Borg was a really clever way to do it (even if I did see it coming a mile away).

I was a little disappointed that the Voyager cast was barely in it the final Borg story. Seven contributes nothing to the story and Voyager gets knocked off off-screen.

I just realized something. When the Caeliar send their signal to another galaxy and get blown up for it, and they surmise it's one of their future cities knocked into the past... we never learn anything more about that. That evil city is still out there.

Does anyone know the origins of this story? Who came up with it and what led to the decision to get rid of the Borg once and for all?

I'd love to see a list of every single continuity nod in this series:
transphasic torpedoes from VOY "Endgame". Thalarion weapon from ST Nemesis. Omega Molecule from VOY "Omega Directive". Hirogen from VOY Season Four. Caeliar build a Dyson sphere like in TNG "Relics". Erika Hernandez from ENT. the Galactic Barrier from TOS.

Last edited by Mr Light; December 28 2013 at 05:13 AM.
Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2013, 05:30 PM   #18
lvsxy808
Rear Admiral

Romulan_spy wrote: View Post
If I had to imagine what a Star Trek Lord of the rings style epic movie trilogy on the big screen would look like, I think the Destiny trilogy, would fit the bill.
Corran Horn wrote: View Post
Agreed - if they were to have ever made a giant crossover filmed miniseries this would've been great.
In my version of adapting this story, I turn it into a nine-episode arc across all four concurrent TV series - TNG, DS9, Voyager and Titan. So that's 36 episodes, equivalent to 27 hours of screen time. It incorporates all the material from Destiny itself, plus the Voyager material from Full Circle, the DS9 material from Rough Beasts of Empire, and additional material for the Klingons and actual DS9 (as opposed to Aventine).

Mr Light wrote: View Post
My only complaint is that WAY too much time is spent with the Columbia crew living with the Caeliar. I understand this is vital to the story and they're the ones that originate the Borg and defeat them... but there was just too many pages about them sitting around doing nothing while in captivity.
I felt the same way - the Columbia portions of the book were my least favourite. But a lot of other people really love those bits. *shrug*

I was a little disappointed that the Voyager cast was barely in it the final Borg story. Seven contributes nothing to the story and Voyager gets knocked off off-screen.
As I said, Voyager's perspective on events is covered in Full Circle, and Sisko and Vaughn's in Rough Beasts. Ro, Kira, Bashir et al are still up for grabs (he says with an evil yet secretive grin).

Read Deep Space Nine, Season 10
All 22 eps available to read on-screen or download and keep!
lvsxy808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2013, 06:48 PM   #19
Mr Light
Admiral

Oooooh, so there's additional Borg War material in other novels? Cool!

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2013, 06:57 PM   #20
Christopher
Writer

Oooooh, so there's additional Borg War material in other novels? Cool!
There are two chapters set during the Borg Invasion (it was far too one-sided to be called a war) in Full Circle. The first few chapters of Rough Beasts of Empire are during the Invasion and its immediate aftermath, though only one chapter depicts any of the fighting.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2014, 11:20 AM   #21
Endgame
Lieutenant Commander

I finished "Gods of Night" on September 24, 2013. I finished "Mere Mortals" on October 14, 2013. And, I finished "Lost Souls" on October 27, 2013. I was glad that I had read a number of books prior to these. I shall probably measure my Star Trek reading as before Destiny and afterwards.

I have read many TOS books, most older TNG books and the Time to... series, about half the numbered DS9 books, and next to no VGR books or ENT books. I have watched the TOS and DS9 television series. But not all of the TNG and VGR. Just watching as far as Season 3 of ENT series now. I needed all I could get to better appreciate Destiny. I had read more modern TNG books and Titan too.

Destiny has some of that 'indistinguishable from magic' appeal. I look forward to reading more about Ezri Dax and the Aventine. "A Singular Destiny" is waiting. I just finished reading the "Gateways" series and wonder if Iconians could have been brought to bear in the Destiny universe.

I suppose now I can read more of the Titan series as well as Typhon Pact and Vanguard and Cold Equations... so many books to read!
Endgame is offline   Reply With Quote