RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,705
Members: 24,834
Currently online: 437
Newest member: kamkaran

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old January 7 2014, 07:24 AM   #61
Harvey
Admiral

Re: Season 1 is underrated, and better than season 7

TOS season three has a handful of episodes that I'd call great: 'Spectre of the Gun,' 'The Tholian Web,' and 'Day of the Dove' among them.

TNG season one doesn't have a single episode I'd call great. There are a few episodes that are good, mind you, but none that are great.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2014, 03:22 PM   #62
MikeS
Fleet Captain

jimbotron wrote: View Post
From seasons 5-7, there was only one episode with notable music.
The Inner Light?

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
Season 7 the show was running out of gas, but it still had a few good episodes here and there. And, even with the absolute worst episode of the season (we all know which one I mean), the actors had a very good grasp of their characters.
No, which episode do you mean?
Old January 7 2014, 04:37 PM   #63
Lance
Commodore

MikeS wrote: View Post
Season 7 the show was running out of gas, but it still had a few good episodes here and there. And, even with the absolute worst episode of the season (we all know which one I mean), the actors had a very good grasp of their characters.
"Sub Rosa", presumably.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2014, 04:52 PM   #64
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

Lance wrote: View Post
"Sub Rosa", presumably.
I prefer to keep it ambiguous.

Anyway, I will agree that the first two seasons had better music. Firing Ron Jones because his music was too good. Absolutely insane.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2014, 05:36 PM   #65
sonak
Vice Admiral

"Sub Rosa", presumably.

huh, I was thinking "Genesis."
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2014, 05:44 PM   #66
Richard Baker
Commander

'Genesis' could have been great- the idea of the holodeck running all sorts of programs simultaneously and the ships' computer creating a new type of lifeform...
Instead we got a train car full weird costumes and glowy wire thingy.

I do think the later TNG shows had interesting concepts but the execution was increasingly by-the-numbers
Richard Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2014, 07:28 PM   #67
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

The Inner Light?
Yup.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2014, 07:32 PM   #68
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

sonak wrote: View Post
"Sub Rosa", presumably.

huh, I was thinking "Genesis."
Force of Nature was also pretty bad. Warp drive is destroying the galaxy? Warp speed limit? Oh please.

I think they made maybe one or two references to the speed limit in subsequent episodes before wisely abandoning it. Stupid, stupid idea.

Along a similar vein, they could have followed it up with an episode about transporters causing sterility, and replicated food causing cancer.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2014, 12:52 AM   #69
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

Richard Baker wrote: View Post
'Genesis' could have been great- the idea of the holodeck running all sorts of programs simultaneously and the ships' computer creating a new type of lifeform...
Instead we got a train car full weird costumes and glowy wire thingy.
That's "Emergence". "Genesis" is the one where everybody "devolves" into different creatures.
Old January 8 2014, 01:54 AM   #70
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

I like "Force of Nature", and I thought that the idea of warp drive destroying the universe was a pretty good one. It was nice to see the characters humbled. Another memorable time that happened was way back in "The Neutral Zone" when Offenhouse showed up everyone on the bridge during the Romulan encounter.

I suppose "Force of Nature" hit too close to home to be a really fun idea, though, given that we're all actually on the line IRL with climate change and all. But, that was the way Star Trek rolled back in the days of TOS: challenging viewers with allegories of controversial real world issues. And it was nice to see that TNG still had some teeth left in it even by season seven.

I agree with those saying that season seven had some really fine episodes. Goodness, there's "Lower Decks" and "Parallels". I think "Dark Page" is really good, "The Pegasus" too, and of course "Force of Nature". And, "All Good Things..." was probably the best finale that could have been hoped for.

But for the most part, I can just leave it. Saying that it was better than season one, which I think it was overall, and just leaving it at that, is really damning it with faint praise.
Old January 8 2014, 06:34 AM   #71
CrazyMatt
Commander

Most of the lesser Season 7 episodes were tedious and boring... but they were also better than most of the better Season 1 episodes... which were tedious, boring and preachy.
Old January 8 2014, 08:25 AM   #72
YellowSubmarine
Rear Admiral

Season 1 is quite possibly the worst season of a TV series that I have ever watched. There isn't a single episode from that season that I consider watchable. Even Torchwood Series 1 had "Out of Time"
Take Out of Time, Captain Jack Harkness and the few lesser gems (Random Shoes), and I already like TW S1 better than any Star Trek first season other than TOS.

TNG, DS9 and VOY were all off to a rough start. Put Conspiracy, Duet and Eye of the Needle together, and I still don't think you've matched Out of Time and Captain Jack Harkness. Weirdly enough, Enterprise S1 managed to start the series better, and had a lot of good ones, but nothing I liked as much as Out of Time. But perhaps I am biased towards people from the past or something.
Old January 8 2014, 10:31 PM   #73
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
I love Gambit, but I'm partial to stories where there are a lot of different parties with their own agendas lying and betraying each other.
I liked this episode too, mainly for the reasons you stated, and I've never seen Lost.

I've gained more and more respect for Season 1 over the years, but I still like Season 7 too. Season 7's best episodes (Preemptive Strike, Parallels, All Good Things..., and Lower Decks) are better than Season 1's best episodes (11001001, Conspiracy, Where No One Has Gone Before). I just like TNG as a whole that to rank the seasons is a little hard for me. Heck, I've even really warmed up to Season 2 over the years too. I just wish they had introduced the Season 3 uniforms in Season 2 because those first uniforms are still quite bad.
Old January 9 2014, 04:41 PM   #74
MikeS
Fleet Captain

The Inner Light?
Yup.
I was thinking about this last night. What about Lessons?

SJSharksfan39 wrote: View Post
JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
I love Gambit, but I'm partial to stories where there are a lot of different parties with their own agendas lying and betraying each other.
I liked this episode too, mainly for the reasons you stated, and I've never seen Lost.
You must!

Emergence, Masks, Eye of the Beholder, Genesis, Force of Nature and others mentioned here are all guilty pleasures of mine. I think almost everyone agrees that Beverley and her Dead Grandmothers Lover is one of the worse episodes in the entire franchise, but we should not poo-poo the rest of season seven because of that one stinker.
Old January 10 2014, 12:58 AM   #75
2takesfrakes
Commodore

TNG Season One was probably the most true to Gene Roddenberry's bold vision, than even the TOS episode THE CAGE ... indeed, truer to it than anything found in ALL of STAR TREK, including the movies! For that reason, we can all be proud of it ...
2takesfrakes is offline   Reply With Quote