Mulgrew: Playing Red
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

IDW Publishing Comic Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Closed Thread

Old January 6 2014, 03:05 AM   #631
Pegaritaville
Vice Admiral

Re: NFL Discussion - 2013 Season

Every team I wanted to win ended up losing. At least there were some good games (the Chiefs/Colt game especially). Now I have to decide which bandwagon to jump on.

I had high hopes for the Packers until the last 2:30 of the game. Wish the outcome was different but it was a fun game to watch. But I could have done without all the talk about how cold it was there- was a lot warmer there than here.
Old January 6 2014, 11:48 AM   #632
Roger Wilco
Admiral

^^
Yeah, same for me. All 4 teams I rooted for lost...
Old January 7 2014, 12:34 AM   #633
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Yeah, I'm not sure who to root for. That being said, if you are a Chargers fan, you can find hope in this.
Old January 7 2014, 02:20 AM   #634
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701

I did alright... 3 of the 4 teams I was rooting for moved on. I wanted the Colts and Bengals to win because I really didn't want Denver to see the Chiefs or Chargers. It's always tough to beat a team three times in a year (Chiefs) and the Chargers always seem to have Denver's number.

In the Packers/Niners game, I was cheering for the Niners because I have a Packer friend who talks a lot of shit, but can never take it. I was wanting to see him have a melt down. For the Eagles/Saints, I had no real interest in that battle. However, after the Eagles fans booed both of the injured Saints, I wanted the Saints to take it just to spite them.

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama
Old January 7 2014, 04:13 AM   #635
Danny99
Vice Admiral

I'll take New England, Denver, Seattle, and San Francisco next weekend.
Old January 7 2014, 05:28 AM   #636
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

Pegaritaville wrote: View Post
I had high hopes for the Packers until the last 2:30 of the game. Wish the outcome was different but it was a fun game to watch. But I could have done without all the talk about how cold it was there- was a lot warmer there than here.
Sure, but I assume you aren't out playing football in it.
archeryguy1701 wrote: View Post
In the Packers/Niners game, I was cheering for the Niners because I have a Packer friend who talks a lot of shit, but can never take it. I was wanting to see him have a melt down.
yeah, it is getting to the point where I take pleasure in watching Green Bay lose just to spite all the annoying Packers fans I know. The ones who have never left the West Coast but became fans when they were winning and buy stock in the team so they can say they're "owners" and root for them against the home teams. A few of them jumped on the New England bandwagon for a while there, but they're back rooting for Green Bay the last few years. It was icing on the delicious cake of the Niners win for me.
Danny99 wrote: View Post
I'll take New England, Denver, Seattle, and San Francisco next weekend.
This seems the most likely, but I wouldn't be especially surprised with a San Diego or New Orleans win.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Old January 8 2014, 01:41 AM   #637
Danny99
Vice Admiral

I'd love to see any or all of the underdogs win. Who wouldn't want to see Carolina or San Diego in the Super Bowl?
Old January 8 2014, 01:55 AM   #638
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Well, I have the "beating the Eagels in week one" prediction causing me to support San Diego. I'm indifferent to the Panthers so I'd be ok with them.
Old January 8 2014, 03:35 AM   #639
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701

I'd love to see any or all of the underdogs win. Who wouldn't want to see Carolina or San Diego in the Super Bowl?
**raises hand** Um, me... because fuck Phyllis. After the Broncos, my choice for the AFC is anybody but the Chargers.

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama
Old January 8 2014, 10:29 PM   #640
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

Don't know if this has been mentioned here or not, but I saw a slo-mo replay of the so called "great" play by Aaron Rogers last Sunday -- the one on which he appeared to shake loose from a sack and complete a throw down to inside the 9er's 5. The replay showed a TREMENDOUS hold by one of the Pack O linemen. The Packer had a grip on the jersey underneath the open arm hole of the 9ner player. The grip was on the left arm, the one that would have sacked Rogers but the 9er DL was pulled away by the offensive guy.

I'm not a 9er fan and I never blame refs for a loss (except for that F'n "tuck game"), but all the talk about this being a great play by Rogers is bunk. Even the guys in the studio showing the replay I watched didn't mention the hold and it was as significant (to the play) as any I have ever seen in football. Those guys just went on and on about Rogers. I kept freezing the picture of this giant ass hold by the O lineman which freed up Rogers to make the play, because it was so obvious, an laughing.
Old January 9 2014, 03:11 AM   #641
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

Mel Tucker could fired, but not fired into the sun (sorry Timby).

Story.

At last Thursday’s end of the season press conference, Chicago Bears head coach Marc Trestman failed to give a vote of confidence to defensive coordinator Mel Tucker.

The lack of comment on Tucker’s future last Thursday by Trestman ignited speculation that the Bears will be with a new defensive coordinator for the third season in a row.

There is no question that the Bears defense struggled in its first year under Tucker in 2013. The question becomes were those struggles the result of poor scheming by Tucker or the handful of injuries that the team suffered on the defensive side. Using deductive reasoning, it is rather evident that the Bears front office feel the struggles may be the result of poor scheming.

During the press conference last Thursday, Trestman and general manager Phil Emery seemed to make it a point that injuries are never an excuse in the NFL. With that sentiment, the Bears essentially hung Tucker out to dry.
Old January 9 2014, 03:12 AM   #642
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

Yeah. there were a few other pretty blatant holds near the end of the game, but the refs were being inordinately lax on the calls overall that game and SF benefited from a few missed calls too. They still should have called that potentially game-changing hold, but since it didn't change the end result I can't manage to get very upset.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Old January 9 2014, 07:01 PM   #643
Spider
Dirty Old Man

I'm jumping on the Seattle bandwagon for the rest of the playoffs, I've got relatives up there.

At least my Texans got the jump on getting a nice new head coach on the other teams. And we've got the first pick in a draft where the first pick isn't worth being 1.1. LOL

spider's new motto: So many Lounge bars, so little time. - DAK

At my age you take what you can get. Or invent. - Mallory
Old January 9 2014, 10:29 PM   #644
Pegaritaville
Vice Admiral

I'll be rooting for all the underdogs this weekend. But if I need the other team to win in order to hit on one of my numbers, I'll be rooting for that. As long as my team's already out, I might as well go for the money.
Old January 10 2014, 05:28 PM   #645
Kirby
Rear Admiral

View Kirby's Twitter Profile

archeryguy1701 wrote: View Post
After the Broncos, my choice for the AFC is anybody but the Chargers.
As an (almost) life long Colorado resident, my first choice is the Broncos, but honestly, if it's not the Broncos I'll take the Chargers over the Patriots anyday.