RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,664
Members: 24,815
Currently online: 427
Newest member: AlphaZero

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old January 7 2014, 08:12 PM   #16
PicardSpeedo
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Catsuits/unitards in our future?

Metryq wrote: View Post
One of the functions of Geordi's visor is an "eye bleach" filter.

I attended a sci-fi convention many, many moons ago when the network was threatening to kill the "V" series. About half the convention-goers showed up in red "Visitor" uniforms to show their support. You've heard the adage "spandex is a privilege, not a right." Well, I could have used Geordi's visor. The future will probably look more like WALL*E than STAR TREK or BUCK ROGERS.
Let's not forget the eye bleach we all needed after being subjected to the sight of Will Decker's genitalia being smashed up against the inside of his TMP catsuit...

Last edited by PicardSpeedo; January 8 2014 at 01:42 AM.
PicardSpeedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2014, 12:03 AM   #17
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

MikeS wrote: View Post
ZapBrannigan wrote: View Post
Blue jeans have been around since 1873 and there is no reason they should fall out of existence in the future, in favor of "Star Trek Civilian" -- a line of clothing that seldom looked real.
I am pretty sure that toga's were around for longer than 131 years, yet they eventually fell out of fashion.

But - you're mistaken in thinking denim had "[fallen] out exsistence in the future". Kirk and Bones wear them on their camping trip in Star Trek V.
"Star Trek Civilian" usually looked pretty ugly, especially the sweaters and dresses.

Togas are rather interesting... of course they wouldn't make a comeback in our society, since for one thing there would be the cry of "OMG, that man is wearing a DRESS!!!" and for another, they're really fussy garments to drape correctly. They're not very practical - I can't see a bunch of men wearing togas going about their daily business in modern society without tripping over them, getting them caught in elevator doors, and finding it impossible to carry stuff. And what kind of footwear could they use that wouldn't look incredibly stupid? Sandals are impractical in our climate for much of the year.

Mind you, the class of people in ancient Rome who wore togas also had slaves to do all the practical physical stuff for them anyway, including draping them correctly in the first place.

PicardSpeedo wrote: View Post
Something definitely changed in the world of civilian fashion between Kirk's era and Picard's era. Check our the getups everyone's wearing in Search for Spock, then compare that to what we see on DS9. We went from hip couture to space spandex overnight.
Considering that it was supposed to be 75-80 years between Kirk and Picard, that was hardly "overnight."

Let's not forget the eye bleach we all needed after being subjected to the sight of Matt Decker's genitalia being smashed up the inside of his TMP catsuit...
You mean Will Decker. Matt Decker was his father.

And yeah, that's one camera shot that never should have made it anywhere but the cutting room floor.

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2014, 01:44 AM   #18
PicardSpeedo
Lieutenant Commander

Ah, yes, I stand corrected. I was never a big fan of TMP. Edited OP accordingly. I still maintain that a scrotum was never something I ever expected or wanted to see on Star Trek, however... :-P
Old January 8 2014, 01:54 AM   #19
scotpens
Vice Admiral

. . . you're mistaken in thinking denim had "[fallen] out existence in the future". Kirk and Bones wear them on their camping trip in Star Trek V.

Capt. Pike also wore a blue denim outfit in "The Cage."

Old January 8 2014, 02:03 AM   #20
PicardSpeedo
Lieutenant Commander

scotpens wrote: View Post
. . . you're mistaken in thinking denim had "[fallen] out existence in the future". Kirk and Bones wear them on their camping trip in Star Trek V.
Actually, ZapBrannigan said the opposite.
ZapBrannigan wrote: View Post
. . . Blue jeans have been around since 1873 and there is no reason they should fall out of existence in the future, in favor of "Star Trek Civilian" -- a line of clothing that seldom looked real.

Capt. Pike also wore a blue denim outfit in "The Cage."

Playing devil's advocate here for a moment, since The Cage never aired, I don't know that it can be considered canon. Plus, the scene you reference was only a Talosian illusion.
Old January 8 2014, 06:24 AM   #21
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

It aired as part of the Menagerie. And the illusion is taken from Pike's memories, not something made up by the Talosians.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2014, 09:52 AM   #22
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

... Matt Decker's genitalia being smashed up ...
Ahh, that would explain this memorable scene.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2014, 12:33 PM   #23
PicardSpeedo
Lieutenant Commander

T'Girl wrote: View Post
... Matt Decker's genitalia being smashed up ...
Ahh, that would explain this memorable scene.

LOL, yes, it certainly lends new meaning to the term 'Doomsday Device,' doesn't it?
Old January 8 2014, 11:31 PM   #24
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Playing devil's advocate here for a moment, since The Cage never aired, I don't know that it can be considered canon.
But it did air! As part of the Patrick Stewart-narrated "A Star Trek Saga: From One Generation to the Next" that was screened to lead into the late-running Season Two of TNG. The whole episode of "The Cage" was part of the documentary. And "The Cage" was then made available to the regular syndication package for TOS.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2014, 11:35 PM   #25
PicardSpeedo
Lieutenant Commander

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Playing devil's advocate here for a moment, since The Cage never aired, I don't know that it can be considered canon.
But it did air! As part of the Patrick Stewart-narrated "A Star Trek Saga: From One Generation to the Next" that was screened to lead into the late-running Season Two of TNG. The whole episode of "The Cage" was part of the documentary. And "The Cage" was then made available to the regular syndication package for TOS.
But does a documentary count? If so, there's a behind-the-scenes documentary that features, in part, a scene between nuKirk and nuSpock speaking to each other in bad Irish accents right before nuSpock kamikazes the Narada in the Jellyfish. Because that aired in a TV documentary, is that canon?
Old January 9 2014, 12:58 AM   #26
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Even if the entirety of The Cage isn't canon, the portions (majority) of The Cage that was display in the episode The Menagerie would be considered canon.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2014, 01:06 AM   #27
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

does a documentary count?
No.

If so, there's a behind-the-scenes documentary that features, in part, a scene between nuKirk and nuSpock speaking to each other in bad Irish accents right before nuSpock kamikazes the Narada in the Jellyfish. Because that aired in a TV documentary, is that canon?
"The Cage" never aired AS a documentary. It aired - both alone and as part of "The Menagerie" - as a simple episode of the show, just like any other. Therefore its canonicity shouldn't be in dispute.

As for catsuits/unitards: God help us. I don't begrudge anyone else the right to wear them if it's comfortable for them; I just know I could never wear something like that, as the image of my fat ass in a catsuit would cause a deadly stampede for the exits, plus it would just be uncomfortable as hell for me (not to mention embarrassing).
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2014, 01:39 AM   #28
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

In the future no one is fat unless they want to be. Harry Mudd clearly embraced his rubenesque qualities, probably helped him seem humble and trustworthy as a purveyor of fine goods. But for anyone else, and this probably only increased in the 24th century, you can modify your body any way you want. Look how people turn into other species and then back again in a day! Getting buff and losing flab would be nothing compared to that.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2014, 01:48 AM   #29
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

But does a documentary count? If so, there's a behind-the-scenes documentary that features, in part, a scene between nuKirk and nuSpock speaking to each other in bad Irish accents right before nuSpock kamikazes the Narada in the Jellyfish. Because that aired in a TV documentary, is that canon?
No, documentaries are from a real-world perspective. But "The Cage" had its TV debut as an entity unto itself, tagged onto the end of a documentary that introduced it.

And "The Cage" did air after that, in other places, as part of Paramount TV's syndication package for TOS. It was tricky for stations to schedule, due to its irregular length.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2014, 01:54 AM   #30
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

teacake wrote: View Post
In the future no one is fat unless they want to be. Harry Mudd clearly embraced his rubenesque qualities, probably helped him seem humble and trustworthy as a purveyor of fine goods. But for anyone else, and this probably only increased in the 24th century, you can modify your body any way you want. Look how people turn into other species and then back again in a day! Getting buff and losing flab would be nothing compared to that.
Body modification: another thing I would never be into.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is online now   Reply With Quote