Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old January 5 2014, 01:56 AM   #1
Velocity
Rear Admiral

Catsuits/unitards in our future?

It seems that there are a lot of catsuits/unitards in Trek costuming. Does this point to a future fashion craze that we should be expecting?
Old January 5 2014, 02:04 AM   #2
iguana_tonante
Admiral

Re: Catsuits/unitards in our future?

Only if the current fad of "fast food" becomes obsolete. At least, that's my hope.
Old January 5 2014, 09:40 AM   #3
Captain Rob
Commodore

Around Halloween one year. I had a lady come in to my theatre wearing a all black catsuit. She was gorgeous with a long black ponytail. Almost caused a riot.
I'm in favor.
Old January 5 2014, 02:07 PM   #4
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

I think Jeri Ryan would still have been sexy if they had put her in realistic civilian clothing. I'd say a short white jacket over an ordinary blouse, a tight pair of faded blue jeans, and athletic shoes. Bam. Done. She would have looked both real and fantastic.

Blue jeans have been around since 1873 and there is no reason they should fall out of existence in the future, in favor of "Star Trek Civilian" -- a line of clothing that seldom looked real.

T'Pol came off even less believable in her tightest catsuits (she had various outfits), because she didn't have the excuse of an ex-Borg who needs a dermaplastic garment to hold her innards together. Given T'Pol's Vulcan ethnicity and the likelihood that this would color her civilian clothing (for the worse), I guess they did about as well with her clothes as could be expected.

Even so I enjoyed the shows, found Seven and T'Pol sexy, and I have to admit they carried it off.
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2014, 04:18 PM   #5
PicardSpeedo
Lieutenant Commander

Given that the obesity rate is skyrocketing at an unbelievable rate, I speculate that, by the 24th century, Spandex will be the only thing that will fit anyone.
PicardSpeedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2014, 04:53 PM   #6
CaptPapa
Commander

Sadly someone who looks like Jeri Ryan in a catsuit is rare to see. More likely we see a size 20 sausage who has stuffed itself in a size 10 wrapper.

ME
Old January 6 2014, 03:33 AM   #7
Velocity
Rear Admiral

But they aren't just for women. What made me think of this was the Next Generation episode where the guy was progressing into another evolutionary stage of his people. He wore a white one (brave). They seem to crop up all the time in the Trek universe.
Only The Avengers had more of them.
Old January 6 2014, 03:40 AM   #8
PicardSpeedo
Lieutenant Commander

Velocity wrote: View Post
But they aren't just for women. What made me think of this was the Next Generation episode where the guy was progressing into another evolutionary stage of his people. He wore a white one (brave). They seem to crop up all the time in the Trek universe.
Yeah, the message of that episode was totally lost on me thanks to having to see a dude's dong smashed up against the inside of his translucent white catsuit in almost every scene.
Old January 6 2014, 04:41 AM   #9
SnowboredShipCapt'n
Commodore

PicardSpeedo wrote: View Post
Velocity wrote: View Post
Yeah, the message of that episode was totally lost on me thanks to having to see a dude's dong smashed up against the inside of his translucent white catsuit in almost every scene.
I suppose Bele and Lokai were no strangers to the dance belt either. What is it about "message" episodes and men in tights?

SnowboredShipCapt'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2014, 11:15 PM   #10
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

ZapBrannigan wrote: View Post
Given T'Pol's Vulcan ethnicity and the likelihood that this would color her civilian clothing (for the worse), I guess they did about as well with her clothes as could be expected.
IIRC, T'Pol's outfit had the same cut as the top half of Sakonna's uniform in DS9. The bottom section was a skirt, but the colour, design, skin-tightness and fabric style of the top half seemed to set a standard for (female) Vulcan shipboard costumes.
http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Sakonna
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2014, 11:56 PM   #11
Plum
Rear Admiral

The unitard thing is easily explained, it's a Hollywood cliche'. I can't say where the origin of this begins and such things never have just one but by the 60s any future society depicted on film nearly always had the mass of people wearing those things. Hollywood has it's visual language just like comics or anything else and they are loath to give them up.

And Jeri Ryan would look sexy even in a potato sack!
Old January 7 2014, 02:54 PM   #12
PicardSpeedo
Lieutenant Commander

Plum wrote: View Post
The unitard thing is easily explained, it's a Hollywood cliche'. I can't say where the origin of this begins and such things never have just one but by the 60s any future society depicted on film nearly always had the mass of people wearing those things. Hollywood has it's visual language just like comics or anything else and they are loath to give them up.

And Jeri Ryan would look sexy even in a potato sack!
Gene Roddenberry's original vision for Star Trek was actually for humans to have embraced nudity as a means of attire. When this was rejected on practical grounds, he reworked his idea to postulate that, by the 24th century, humans will have done away with gender roles in clothing (hence the dude in the Starfleet skirt in Encounter at Farpoint). When this idea was overturned, Space Spandex was pretty much all that was left.
Old January 7 2014, 03:40 PM   #13
MikeS
Fleet Captain

Blue jeans have been around since 1873 and there is no reason they should fall out of existence in the future, in favor of "Star Trek Civilian" -- a line of clothing that seldom looked real.
I am pretty sure that toga's were around for longer than 131 years, yet they eventually fell out of fashion.

But - you're mistaken in thinking denim had "[fallen] out exsistence in the future". Kirk and Bones wear them on their camping trip in Star Trek V.
Old January 7 2014, 04:28 PM   #14
PicardSpeedo
Lieutenant Commander

MikeS wrote: View Post
I am pretty sure that toga's were around for longer than 131 years, yet they eventually fell out of fashion.

But - you're mistaken in thinking denim had "[fallen] out exsistence in the future". Kirk and Bones wear them on their camping trip in Star Trek V.
Something definitely changed in the world of civilian fashion between Kirk's era and Picard's era. Check our the getups everyone's wearing in Search for Spock, then compare that to what we see on DS9. We went from hip couture to space spandex overnight.

Last edited by PicardSpeedo; January 7 2014 at 06:42 PM.
Old January 7 2014, 06:35 PM   #15
Metryq
Captain

One of the functions of Geordi's visor is an "eye bleach" filter.

I attended a sci-fi convention many, many moons ago when the network was threatening to kill the "V" series. About half the convention-goers showed up in red "Visitor" uniforms to show their support. You've heard the adage "spandex is a privilege, not a right." Well, I could have used Geordi's visor. The future will probably look more like WALL*E than STAR TREK or BUCK ROGERS.