RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,555
Posts: 5,513,795
Members: 25,146
Currently online: 609
Newest member: TM2-Megatron

TrekToday headlines

Two New Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Dec 26

Captain Kirk’s Boldest Missions
By: T'Bonz on Dec 25

Trek Paper Clips
By: T'Bonz on Dec 24

Sargent Passes
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

QMx Trek Insignia Badges
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

And The New Director Of Star Trek 3 Is…
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old December 28 2013, 04:39 PM   #106
borgboy
Fleet Captain
 
borgboy's Avatar
 
Re: The Past Decade of Trek Lit

I have to agree, the first four VOY relaunch books are disapointing. I'd recommend skipping them, or at least give Full Circle a chance if you don't care for the first four.
__________________
Resistance is futile
borgboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2013, 08:46 PM   #107
Mr Light
Admiral
 
Location: Pennsylvania
Re: The Past Decade of Trek Lit

Yeah I was just kinda curious to start the first one and see where they were going with it... I already have them on my bookshelf anyway... I recall not being impressed with Christine Golden's entries in Star Wars Fate of the Jedi...
__________________

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2013, 09:04 PM   #108
ryan123450
Commodore
 
ryan123450's Avatar
 
Location: Woodward, OK
View ryan123450's Twitter Profile
Re: The Past Decade of Trek Lit

Well the first two are way better than the second two. So you may end up thinking they were worthwhile. I'm glad I read them all.
__________________

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
ryan123450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2013, 07:58 AM   #109
ronny
Fleet Captain
 
ronny's Avatar
 
Location: San Francisco, CA
View ronny's Twitter Profile
Re: The Past Decade of Trek Lit

The difference between the first four Voyager relaunch books and the second four is pretty stunning. We're talking some of my least favorite Star Trek books for the first four and the second four books are among my favorites. You can easily skip the Golden books unless you're a Voyager completist. I can't remember anything story wise in the first four books that's even mentioned again later on.
__________________
If you want people to respect your ideas, get better ideas. - John Scalzi

My Star Trek reading progress.
ronny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2013, 08:01 AM   #110
Hanukkah Solo
Admiral
 
Hanukkah Solo's Avatar
 
Location: Skywalker
Re: The Past Decade of Trek Lit

As someone who's familiar with Christie Golden's Star Wars work, I wouldn't recommend anything written by her. But who knows, maybe she handles Star Trek better.
Hanukkah Solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2013, 09:22 AM   #111
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral
 
Dimesdan's Avatar
 
Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dimesdan
Re: The Past Decade of Trek Lit

Hanukkah Solo wrote: View Post
As someone who's familiar with Christie Golden's Star Wars work, I wouldn't recommend anything written by her. But who knows, maybe she handles Star Trek better.
The reason why I have not read Fate of the Jedi yet is because of her Star Trek work.
__________________
People in third world countries are so lucky they don't have to deal with these problems. - TheGodBen

I'm on twitter now. @DimesDaniel
Dimesdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2013, 02:50 PM   #112
Mr Light
Admiral
 
Location: Pennsylvania
Re: The Past Decade of Trek Lit

I actually thought Fate of the Jedi was a really solid Star Wars series (aside from the usual time wasting by stretching it out over too many novels). I did notice the Golden novels were not quite as good as the others, taking way too much time on the new villains.

They had my favorite literary villains aside from Thrawn; an entire planet full of Sith and a cosmic level dark side entity. I really hated how pacifist and unsure Luke was in NJO and LOTF, but that's all gone here. When faced with enemy Sith, Luke is perfectly happy to slice and dice without hesitation. It's quite bad ass.

The way things are going, it's quite like that Fate of the Jedi is going to end up being the final storyline of the old continuity before it gets wiped out by the new movies. And I think it's a pretty good ending to the story.
__________________

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2013, 03:11 PM   #113
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: The Past Decade of Trek Lit

ronny wrote: View Post
You can easily skip the Golden books unless you're a Voyager completist. I can't remember anything story wise in the first four books that's even mentioned again later on.
Actually the first half of Full Circle is spent wrapping up B'Elanna and Tom's story arc and other unresolved threads from the Golden novels, and it has ongoing ramifications for B'Elanna and Tom in subsequent books.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 11/16/14 including annotations for "The Caress of a Butterfly's Wing" and overview for DTI: The Collectors

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2013, 05:53 AM   #114
ronny
Fleet Captain
 
ronny's Avatar
 
Location: San Francisco, CA
View ronny's Twitter Profile
Re: The Past Decade of Trek Lit

Christopher wrote: View Post
ronny wrote: View Post
You can easily skip the Golden books unless you're a Voyager completist. I can't remember anything story wise in the first four books that's even mentioned again later on.
Actually the first half of Full Circle is spent wrapping up B'Elanna and Tom's story arc and other unresolved threads from the Golden novels, and it has ongoing ramifications for B'Elanna and Tom in subsequent books.
Man, I don't remember a B'Elanna/Tom arc in the Golden novels at all. I remember stuff like something with
or what ever that was. I was thinking Full Circle picked up from that hint in A Singular Destiny with Full Circle being split with the first half of it taking place before ASD and the second half taking place after or something like that.
__________________
If you want people to respect your ideas, get better ideas. - John Scalzi

My Star Trek reading progress.
ronny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2013, 06:06 AM   #115
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: The Past Decade of Trek Lit

You may not remember it, but the whole thing with the Klingon prophecy about Miral and B'Elanna going to study on Boreth was a major ongoing thread in the Golden novels. The reason Full Circle has the 2-part structure it does is because Kirsten needed to wrap up Golden's arcs before beginning her own.

Full Circle and A Singular Destiny were both parts of the same post-Destiny block of novels, but FC was in development for years before ASD came along. The first half of FC takes place in 2378, beginning about six weeks after Spirit Walk ends, and the second half then jumps forward, skimming over 2379-80 and the events of Destiny in a few chapters, with the back half focusing primarily on the period after Destiny, roughly simultaneous with ASD. In fact, by my estimate, FC ends two days before ASD ends, so none of the book takes place after ASD.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 11/16/14 including annotations for "The Caress of a Butterfly's Wing" and overview for DTI: The Collectors

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2013, 07:50 AM   #116
ronny
Fleet Captain
 
ronny's Avatar
 
Location: San Francisco, CA
View ronny's Twitter Profile
Re: The Past Decade of Trek Lit

Christopher wrote: View Post
You may not remember it, but the whole thing with the Klingon prophecy about Miral and B'Elanna going to study on Boreth was a major ongoing thread in the Golden novels.
I believe you when you say it's there it's just that I don't remember it at all.

The reason Full Circle has the 2-part structure it does is because Kirsten needed to wrap up Golden's arcs before beginning her own.

Full Circle and A Singular Destiny were both parts of the same post-Destiny block of novels, but FC was in development for years before ASD came along. The first half of FC takes place in 2378, beginning about six weeks after Spirit Walk ends, and the second half then jumps forward, skimming over 2379-80 and the events of Destiny in a few chapters, with the back half focusing primarily on the period after Destiny, roughly simultaneous with ASD. In fact, by my estimate, FC ends two days before ASD ends, so none of the book takes place after ASD.
All of this sounds vaguely familiar. These are books I read over 4 years ago and there have been a lot since then. Details like that sort of fade over time.

I'm a HUGE DS9 fan and the relaunch was an exciting series of tie in books I've ever read but there's one thing I do remember is about the time Fearful Symmetry and Soul Key were coming out, the Kirsten Beyer Voyager books were coming out and they did something I didn't think was possible: They made me look forward more to a Voyager book instead of a DS9 book. That's how much I like the Kirsten Beyer Voyager books.
__________________
If you want people to respect your ideas, get better ideas. - John Scalzi

My Star Trek reading progress.
ronny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2013, 01:41 PM   #117
Mr Light
Admiral
 
Location: Pennsylvania
Re: The Past Decade of Trek Lit

Continuing my excitement over the Destiny trilogy, I just finished reading TNG "Resistance" and "Before Dishonor", the Borg two parter that kinda sorta leads into Destiny. I thought they were pretty good, though the tonal shift to Peter David's goofiness was a little jarring, particularly since the book
. I also thought Picard cracking jokes throughout the entire story to be a little out of character. But I enjoyed it and I liked bringing back the Planet Killer. And it was great to see a crossover between the TNG cast, Janeway, Seven of Nine, and Spock.

One question: I assumed these books would set up the ENT-E having the transphasic torpedoes from VOY "Endgame" that it has at the start of Destiny. Is that set up in another novel? Because if that's something they got from "Endgame", why didn't they use them against the Borg in these two stories?
__________________

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2013, 03:34 PM   #118
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: The Past Decade of Trek Lit

^I believe that's addressed in Greater Than the Sum, which is the transitional work between Before Dishonor and Destiny.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 11/16/14 including annotations for "The Caress of a Butterfly's Wing" and overview for DTI: The Collectors

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2014, 01:26 AM   #119
Mr Light
Admiral
 
Location: Pennsylvania
Re: The Past Decade of Trek Lit

I just finished David Mack's two parter "A Time to Kill" / "A Time to Heal".

I almost skipped this one because the premise didn't sound terribly interesting as it was just about one planet of the week, but the fact that it was from the author of Destiny changed my mind.

I'm glad I did because it was quite excellent! Mack really makes epic and cinematic Trek tales. And he manages to make the characters, and Starfleet in general, come off as total bad asses. These two books were just chocked full of amazing war sequences given a sense of gritty "realism" despite the often cartoonish technological levels of Star Trek.

I also enjoyed the thinly veiled Iraq War metaphor about the entire affair. And I especially loved Section 31 working behind the scenes, completely invisible to everyone else, content to let events transpire without intervention but ready to step in and destroy most of the planet if necessary. The moral quagmire of the story was really well done; the characters are disgusted by what they're forced to cover up, but exposing it would create a disasterous war with the Klingons. Great stuff!

I was surprised but pleased at the end when it's implied that
__________________


Last edited by Mr Light; January 7 2014 at 01:51 AM.
Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2014, 02:57 AM   #120
David Mack
Writer
 
David Mack's Avatar
 
Location: New York, NY
View David Mack's Twitter Profile
Re: The Past Decade of Trek Lit

^ Glad you gave Kill/Heal a chance, and that you enjoyed them. I remain proud of those, all these years later, along with my Treklit solo prose debut, SCE: Wildfire.
__________________
~ David Mack | "Where were you when the page was blank?" — Truman Capote

Join me on Facebook & Twitter
David Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:25 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.