Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Tech

Trek Tech Pass me the quantum flux regulator, will you?

Old January 5 2014, 11:22 PM   #91
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

Re: NuTrek's Starfleet

DEWLine wrote: View Post
Wasn't the AIG-37 the one the VFX team on ST XII called the "Boolean Gun"?
Haven't heard that before, but that has a nice ring to it. Reminds me of the "Binary rifle" from Halo 4, though I wouldn't be surprised if that was intentional.

Also, K'Normians were established before Bajorans.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/K%27normian
I'm assuming that would refer to that one golden-eyed ensign on the bridge whose (poorly-delivered) line was cut from the theatrical version. Always assumed he was some kind of TOS-style binar or something, but this works too.

Not sure if "established" is the right word, though, since the actual species name was never made canon. OTOH, we could always assume some kind of Trill-style retcon (Odan vs. Dax) or else assume, as I do, that the K'Normians are at least partially multi-ethnic. Either way, they're almost certainly NOT Federation members; the Novelization mentions a number of times that Kirk and Spock have a little trouble with Mudd's ship because they keep having to use their translators just to read the flight controls properly.
Old January 6 2014, 04:48 AM   #92
bullethead
Fleet Captain

Crazy Eddie wrote: View Post
bullethead wrote: View Post
Pictures or profiles that don't work for me:
The SIG-14 -You're showing the Vengeance's torpedo tubes there. Why not use the designation for the Gattling Phasers?
Because
1) WHAT gatling phasers?
Those phasers in the weapons pods. A bunch of them seem to be coming in directions with a circular rotation of the emitters, although the arcing of the pulses makes a bit harder to see.

2) Near as I can tell, the turrets on the Vengeance would have been phaser banks either way. This is such, because Into Darkness depicted a range of beam weapons of various sizes, all of them being large gun-looking things that emit Star Wars style energy bolts. Photon torpedoes, on the other hand, are depicted for the first time as not actually requiring any sort of highly sophisticated launch hardware; you can stick a torpedo tube anywhere and cover it with a hatch. Which -- if the intention had been for Vengeance to fire TORPEDOES at the Enterprise -- is exactly what we would have seen there.
Having rewatched the scene on Youtube, there's nothing pointing either way. That said, reading and preferring the novelization has colored my perception of those weapons towards torpedo launchers, given their description in the novel.

In "Countdown to Darkness" Mudd's daughter is (strongly implied to be) half-Bajoran and has evidently been in the gun running business for the better part of a decade. The film, however, identifies her ship as a "K'Normian Trading Vessel" and the novelization goes a step further by suggesting that the K'Normians themselves are not actually Federation members and would have "a lot of explaining to do" if the Klingons found out who was behind the shootout in Ketha Province.

When you combine this with what we know about Pre-occupation Bajor -- that they already had space travel and probably star travel as well, that they have the technical know-how to build modern-style weapons and fighter craft (in a cave, with a box of scraps), that they operate a rigid caste system and are very accepting of outsiders, I get that the K'Normians (who may or may not be entirely Bajoran) recently made contact with the Federation, much to the delight of their arms traders.
I never got any connection between the Bajorans and the K'Normians, since we do know that people can just buy ships from other species in Trek. I also don't get why the Federation would contract with them, even if they made some pretty good guns - it's one thing to contract with a vendor headquartered in an allied nation (like the US did with the M9 pistol), it's another to contract with people you have no real relationship with.

Couldn't hurt, but I've been fiddling around trying to get high-res action shots that dont look too cartoonish. Settled on concept art, again as a placeholder.
I hope that turns out well.

"Galactic Peace" - For the love of god, swap that picture out for something else. There has to be something more obscure you can use than a Mass Effect gun.
The funny thing is, I'm having trouble with the Nimbus-III rifle. On the one hand, its hard to find any real images of it anywhere that aren't sloppy-looking reproductions made out of super soaker parts. On the other hand, the ORIGINAL looked pretty damn sloppy and I probably wouldn't use it if I could find it.

Basically, I'm getting to the point where I need to start shopping around for art work. Until then, rough draft is rough.
I got a lot of pics of real and fictional guns, if you need any inspiration. Try looking on Forgotten Weapons for some obscure, low maintenance designs too.

Also, put the last picture before the entries about the nuTrek movie phasers, because they make little sense without the context provided by that pic.
Please elaborate...
Basically, when it comes to writing, it's generally a better idea to fully explain what something is the first time you mention it, rather than just loosely associate two concepts, like you do in the phaser carbine entry (especially when some of your readers are vaguely aware that the K'Normians are a separate species from the Bajorans). All it would literally take is the line about the K'Normians being the Bajoran spacer caste from the Peacemaker entry and putting in where the K'Normian Alliance is mentioned in the Magnum Phaser entry.
Old January 6 2014, 04:52 PM   #93
anh165
Commander

Great stuff on the phaser technology. Interesting concept that a phaser is a combination of signals that breaks down the target mass as effectively as possible rather than some fancy beam of light.
Old January 9 2014, 06:29 PM   #94
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

Crazy Eddie wrote: View Post
Pictures or profiles that don't work for me:
The SIG-14 -You're showing the Vengeance's torpedo tubes there. Why not use the designation for the Gattling Phasers?
Because
1) WHAT gatling phasers?
Those phasers in the weapons pods. A bunch of them seem to be coming in directions with a circular rotation of the emitters, although the arcing of the pulses makes a bit harder to see.
Been freeze-framing that scene, but I'm not seeing any circular motion there. Might show up on Blu-Ray, tho...

I never got any connection between the Bajorans and the K'Normians, since we do know that people can just buy ships from other species in Trek.
Like I said, the only connection is Mudd's daughter. She's the arms merchant who was working with Robert April on Phadeus-IV; her ship is the one used in STID, which suggests that when Kirk is pretending to be a K'Normian arms dealer, he's basically trying to impersonate Mudd.

I also don't get why the Federation would contract with them, even if they made some pretty good guns
It's not the weapons that the Federation buys, it's the technology. MAKING things is trivially easy: you tell the computer what to do and it either manufactures the device or it manufactures the parts for YOU to assemble. So when someone comes up with a superior design for a piece of technology you already use, buy the rights from the original designer.

I got a lot of pics of real and fictional guns, if you need any inspiration. Try looking on Forgotten Weapons for some obscure, low maintenance designs too.
Noted.
Old January 12 2014, 08:34 PM   #95
DEWLine
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to DEWLine Send a message via Yahoo to DEWLine

Back to the Constitution-class hangar bay for a moment: the freeze-frame "King Daniel" gave us of the wireframe visual of the hangar seems to confirm your thinking re: that class having on average 24 shuttles...

Dwight Williams
Illustrator/Writer
DEWLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2014, 08:28 PM   #96
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

Back to the Constitution-class hangar bay for a moment: the freeze-frame "King Daniel" gave us of the wireframe visual of the hangar seems to confirm your thinking re: that class having on average 24 shuttles...
Yeah, I had originally based it on the view from the shuttlebay in the 2013 videogame, which showed landing pads sufficient for 16 shuttlecraft; the same bay had 4 unused landing pads next to the clamshell doors with room for 4 additional shuttles, plus some elevator-like structures leading to what I assumed was a hangar below decks (probably Shuttle Bay 2 that launched Mudd's ship in STID). That would make for 24 shuttles maximum.

The video King Daniel linked to shows a reconfigured bay somewhere longer than the game depiction and knocks out the decking between the main hangar and the lower level. So the shuttles here are in four rows of six (port, starboard, upper, lower) instead of four rows of four, making 24 in the main hangar alone. The lower level is now a cargo bay, but obviously has a large exit hatch for visiting spacecraft and/or short range shuttles that shouldn't need to use the big door.
Old March 29 2014, 09:06 AM   #97
Marion85
Ensign

I absolutely love this manual, but are you going to get get into the USS Vengeance specs at all, or not get into it further because it was a section 31 ship which technically didn't exist as far as starfleet was concerned?
Marion85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2014, 09:48 AM   #98
Marion85
Ensign

I like your explanation for how the flagship Enterprise is able reach the velocities it seems to make in these movies, but just to be a pain in asymmetric photons, why don't there seem to be ANY transwarp ships in the TNG era or beyond? Voyager would have a much shorter series if starfleet could have just sent a transwarp flagship out to pick up the crew...
Marion85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2014, 06:23 PM   #99
gerbil
Captain

Marion85 wrote: View Post
I like your explanation for how the flagship Enterprise is able reach the velocities it seems to make in these movies, but just to be a pain in asymmetric photons, why don't there seem to be ANY transwarp ships in the TNG era or beyond? Voyager would have a much shorter series if starfleet could have just sent a transwarp flagship out to pick up the crew...
I'm not sure if they ever established how starfleet intended to use "transwarp" or what it actually was in that context. It may be incorporated into later designs (hence the realigned warp scales) or the crews might have all turned into salamanders and the project was scrapped.
"Life should be revered simply for the fact that we need to be thankful that we are currently able to consciously appreciate what we are going through right now. ... This moment that we're having right now is highly significant." -Maynard James Keenan
gerbil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2014, 05:23 AM   #100
fireproof78
Lieutenant Commander

Hello there!
I know this is bumping a thread, but this project is great and wanted to offer any help the author might need in continue this project.

Please keep up the good work!
fireproof78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2014, 01:02 AM   #101
bryce
Commodore

View bryce's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to bryce

And this explains the Abramsverse version of Robert April's Enterprise in the comics.
Actually, based on this "deleted"/cut scene from "Into Darkness"...April's ENterprise (at least at one time) looked VERY MUCH like Kirk's in TOS (pre-refit) in the Prime Timeline (with only a few minor changes - like 2, instead of 3 little circle windows/deflector on the front of the saucer. And the window arrangement around the saucer-edges. It my have been wee *bit* BIGGER too. Plus there is the NCC # beginning in "0"...):

^But none of the DVD releases - even the expensive boxed sets - have any deleted/cut scenes....so that they can try to make the fans double and triple-dip...

(But, after these were leaked, Paramount took them all down...of course....)
bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2014, 05:36 AM   #102
fireproof78
Lieutenant Commander

bryce wrote: View Post
And this explains the Abramsverse version of Robert April's Enterprise in the comics.
Actually, based on this "deleted"/cut scene from "Into Darkness"...April's ENterprise (at least at one time) looked VERY MUCH like Kirk's in TOS (pre-refit) in the Prime Timeline (with only a few minor changes - like 2, instead of 3 little circle windows/deflector on the front of the saucer. And the window arrangement around the saucer-edges. It my have been wee *bit* BIGGER too. Plus there is the NCC # beginning in "0"...):

^But none of the DVD releases - even the expensive boxed sets - have any deleted/cut scenes....so that they can try to make the fans double and triple-dip...

That's sad that they didn't keep it in. I like all the little historical details of Starfleet that ended up in Marcus' office.

The prequel comic "Countdown to Darkness" featured a couple of shots of the precursor Enterprise. Not a lot to go on, but gives some decent information to work from, I think:

http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/US...ate_reality%29
Old May 6 2014, 04:00 AM   #103
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

Letting everyone know I'm not dead yet! A combination of things has drawn my attention away from TrekBBS, not least of which is a sudden increase in my work hours in addition to me having obtained an internet connection powerful enough to actually play Star Trek Online without an insufferable degree of lag.

But the Illustrated Guide to Starfleet lives on! First rough draft is available and I'm going back and making some revisions to the project, which means I'm back to looking for some feedback and/or suggestions and requests.

Expect more updates coming in the next two or three weeks.

I absolutely love this manual, but are you going to get get into the USS Vengeance specs at all, or not get into it further because it was a section 31 ship which technically didn't exist as far as starfleet was concerned?
I've got some Vengeance data from what little is actually known about the ship, and I'm combing through some of the NuTrek novels for little tidbits that might be useful. I'm also working from the assumption that some of the more militaristic designs from TOS fanon (the Akyazi class perimeter action ships, for example) would have appeared in this timeline as Section 31 vessels and would be otherwise unknown to anyone outside of that organization. Whether to include them or not in the guide is a different question, though.

I like your explanation for how the flagship Enterprise is able reach the velocities it seems to make in these movies, but just to be a pain in asymmetric photons, why don't there seem to be ANY transwarp ships in the TNG era or beyond?
My opinion is and has always been that "transwarp" is a physical concept in the Trekiverse with a very specific scientific meaning and should not be interpreted to mean "warp drive, only faster." By analogy, it is similar to the concept of "transonic airflow," which is why I expanded the definition to be shorthand to "trans-dimensional vortex warp drive."

By extension, the warp drives we're familiar with in the 24th century would function by generating those vortexes artificially in a very limited region around the ship; they would not rely on pre-existing vortexes (artificial or otherwise) and would be able to take advantage of trans-dimensional effects anywhere they wanted. Slipstream drive would probably work the same way, except the warp field would extend tens of lightyears ahead of the ship while in flight (and is also inherently unstable, which makes it much harder to use).

Voyager would have a much shorter series if starfleet could have just sent a transwarp flagship out to pick up the crew...
Voyager would have a much shorter series if the ship had been as fast as the Enterprise-D was in "Q Who?" in which Data calculates the ship would be able to travel over seven thousand light years in about 31 months. Or, for that matter, if Voyager was as fast as the TOS Enterprise, which managed to cover the 1000 LY sprint back to the Kalandan Outpost in under a day.

This being an alternate timeline, I see no real reason to take Voyager into account AT ALL. But if I absolutely had to (if, say, Rick Berman was holding a gun to my head or if I was trying to talk Kate Mulgrew out of jumping off a bridge) I would simply suggest that the lack of accurate navigational charts for the delta quadrant meant Voyager could not take full advantage of the natural trans-warp vortexes and was limited to more conventional FTL speeds.

fireproof78 wrote: View Post
Hello there!
I know this is bumping a thread, but this project is great and wanted to offer any help the author might need in continue this project.

Please keep up the good work!
Appreciated! As I said, I could use more feedback to see what does or doesn't make the most sense, just so I can see if I can make what we've seen self-consistent at least as far as the Abramsverse. I am far less interested in making the Abrams timeline consistent with the TNG spinoffs; I'm thinking in the context of TOS, ST:Enterprise and the first six movies.

bryce wrote: View Post

I had this cap in mind when I started writing the Bonaventure pages. I am still trying to decide which imagery to use: I thought Gabe Korner's Enterprise would fit pretty nicely into a TOS-based continuity, but I'm starting to really like Madman's "Prime Alternative."

fireproof78 wrote: View Post
That's sad that they didn't keep it in. I like all the little historical details of Starfleet that ended up in Marcus' office.
FWIW, the "powerwall" graphics were also present in Admiral Pike's office. To a certain extent, that makes them canon.
Old June 30 2014, 08:13 AM   #104
fireproof78
Lieutenant Commander

Well, real life has the effect of drawing people away. I too am just getting back here to revisit this project. I will give it a detailed read through and comment within a week or two.

Looking forward to the updates!
Old June 30 2014, 03:11 PM   #105
JJohnson
Captain

Can you repost the pictures that may have been posted in the first page of this thread? It appears they're all gone now.
JJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote