Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old January 6 2014, 02:43 AM   #16
Viva Sativa
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: DS9 deserved a movie

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
Viva Sativa wrote: View Post
Forgive me but everyone else was sparing your feelings. DS9 is a soap opera with science fiction elements. They're on a space station so they don't go where no man has gone before. There is very little venturing going on at all actually.
There's little venturing going on in any of the Trek films. The last two films stayed pretty close to earth, despite featuring a starship with which the crew could "venture."
The last two films were just milestones in a terrible directors career. The only redeeming qualities they had were cameo appearances by Leonard Nimoy and the casting choice for Scotty. I was merely stating that TOS, TNG and VOY all explored new worlds and species;DS9 was left stagnate because there was a lack of outside stimuli. Every Star Trek series made the audience grow an emotional attachment to characters but not in the same environment as DS9 did.
Viva Sativa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2014, 03:29 AM   #17
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

Every Star Trek series made the audience grow an emotional attachment to characters but not in the same environment as DS9 did.
I'm not seeing what difference it makes whether a crew goes to the drama or the drama comes to the crew. Of all the reasons to criticize DS9 -- and there are many -- "they don't go anywhere" always struck me as the silliest.
Old January 6 2014, 03:51 AM   #18
Viva Sativa
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have no major issues with the show. It even had some gems but in contrast to all other series other than ENT it just isn't up to par. We both agree there isn't a DS9 for many reasons.
Old January 6 2014, 03:59 AM   #19
Shatna
Grand Lord Admiral

Bad Thoughts wrote: View Post
who thinks there should have a DS9 movie should play in traffic or give themselves a colonoscopy with a phaser set to kill.
That's classy! Keep up the homophobia!
You must be analytically impaired or so insecure with your own sexuality that you look for homophobic comments. Suggesting someone should sodomize them self with phaser just validates that I have little to no regard for the lives of others, especially if all it took was something as trivial as the notion to make a DS9 movie to provoke said comment.
To all parties: let's all stay on topic. The topic being, DS9 Deserved A Movie. Cut the personal bickering.
Old January 6 2014, 04:07 AM   #20
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

I have no major issues with the show. It even had some gems but in contrast to all other series other than ENT it just isn't up to par. We both agree there isn't a DS9 for many reasons.
(laughs) I don't think anybody's claiming that there shouldn't be a DS9 movie because it "isn't up to par" with any of the other series, except for you.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2014, 04:15 AM   #21
Viva Sativa
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yes Shatna, you're the minority with phasers up their butts.
Old January 6 2014, 05:59 AM   #22
bbjeg
Vice Admiral

I think a TNG, DS9, Voy movie would have been better than Nemesis. Maybe a fleet focused movie combating the Kelvan after they destroyed Vulcan or something and all the ships are decked out with Voyager's modifications.

So, yes to the thread question but more than just DS9.

Last edited by bbjeg; January 6 2014 at 06:15 AM.
bbjeg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2014, 06:18 AM   #23
Bad Thoughts
Fleet Captain

^I'm not sure I would have wanted a big crossover, but I think a TNG movie, including Nemesis, could have benefited from the import of a few DS9 characters. Extending the type of work they did in the 10-episode arc, I could see Garak and Kira being employed in an espionage role. If anything, the EMH and Vi Fontaine could have competed to serenade Troi and Riker.
Bad Thoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2014, 07:22 AM   #24
Shatna
Grand Lord Admiral

Yes Shatna, you're the minority with phasers up their butts.
Say, this isn't on topic, now is it? See above.
Old January 6 2014, 10:44 AM   #25
garak1
Captain

I completely agree that Deep Space Nine deserved a movie.

Whilst 'What You Leave Behind' did wrap things up nicely, there were any number of plot points that could have be revisited.

Given the rich story of the show and strong ensemble cast, then I believe that DS9 would have been the best choice for a new series to go to the silver screen. VOY certainly didn't carry the same gravitas as DS9, and I believe that the poor finale to VOY left a bad taste amongst both dedicated fans and casual viewers alike.

However, regardless of which series carried forward as a movie, I do not believe it would have resulted in commercial success.

To a previous poster saying that Nemesis 'torpedoed the franchise' isn't fair. I think the franchise had been in trouble for several years prior to this point.

I quite liked Nemesis, and whilst it pains me to say this, I don't think any movie set in the 24th century era would have succeded. Many reviewers, including mainstream reviewers, seemed to regard the TNG era movie format as somewhat tired and old. Based off the poor ticket sales for this movie, then this appears to have been a sentiment held by most of the viewing public as well.
garak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2014, 10:47 AM   #26
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

BruntFCA wrote: View Post
DS9 is my favorite TV show ever but a movie would have been a horrible idea, the story was over. Somethings are better off being left well enough alone.
This is my view on the subject as well. The story was over, let the show lie with its decent ending instead of re-animating its corpse for the cheap thrill of a 90 minute action movie. Much like the TNG movies, a DS9 movie would have had to focus on a generic villain with a one-off story that ignored the depth of DS9's established lore. Sounds awful.
Old January 6 2014, 12:55 PM   #27
Lance
Commodore

A follow-up to the end of DS9 would have been warranted. Heck, it would have warranted for VOYAGER as well. On the other hand, having seen how the TNG movies turned out, I remain relatively pleased that DS9 ended when it did. I can't help but wonder what 'the suits' would have mandated as a condition of a movie script being green-lit. The hand of even more extensive executive meddling, which comes as the inevitable price of making a major motion picture rather than a syndicated TV show, would have had a particularly devastating effect on DS9's format. The endless tide of suits with "changes" they want made to the script and a folder of demographic research reports backing them up. The chances are pretty good I feel that whatever integrity the script might have had at the beginning of the writing process would be dead in the water by the time it goes in front of the cameras, and like TNG they would have done nothing except retrospectively dilute the appeal of the series.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2014, 01:21 PM   #28
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Now's the perfect time for a Deep Space Nine movie - starring Will and Jaden Smith and Ben and Jake Sisko!
Old January 6 2014, 03:36 PM   #29
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

Totally agree that a DS9 movie would have been great to see, shame it never happened. However that's to solid writing, acting, and the foresight of the PTB everything was tied up at the end (though the mystery of what happened to Sisko there to whet the appetite).

They could always do a movie now, set years after WYLB looking at what the crew are up to. Then The Sisko returns to battle against a major threat to the Alpha Quadrant. Audiences would get to see Kira in action and understand what a real, strong woman in a Trek film is all about, not some whingy, manipulative cold fish.
Old January 6 2014, 03:51 PM   #30
Paul Weaver
Fleet Captain

DS9 was clearly the best trek series by far, but a movie wouldn't have worked. Trek Movies in general seem to be a let down really, compared with a weekly series.

Now a new series, with a mostly new main cast (say an old starfleet officer exploring the gamma quadrant on the defiant, with his estranged daughter at the helm, an andorian scientist and Ezri as his XO), with Michelle Forbes returning as Ro to run security on the station, that would be good.

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
Now's the perfect time for a Deep Space Nine movie - starring Will and Jaden Smith and Ben and Jake Sisko!
Will Smith would never allow Jaden to have such a small part.
Paul Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote