Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old January 5 2014, 03:59 PM   #1
Xzpezer
Lieutenant

DS9 deserved a movie

It is a shame that DS9 never got movie it is my favorite star trek show.Can someone please tell me why it never got a movie.i would have loved to have seen one.What could the story have been and who could have been the Villain.
Xzpezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2014, 04:17 PM   #2
2takesfrakes
Commodore

Re: DS9 deserved a movie

DS9 was alright, but it did not deserve a movie. Not by a long shot. There were no loose-ends. It's saga had completely unfolded. As well, I suspect its ratings were not strong enough to justify the attempt at making it a major motion picture, in the first place.

2takesfrakes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2014, 04:50 PM   #3
GotNoRice
Fleet Captain

I do feel like DS9 wrapped things up reasonably well, but that doesn't mean some sort of followup wouldn't have been warranted.

DS9 ended in '99, Voyager ended in '01, Nemesis torpedoed the franchise in '02. I think what I would have liked is a Movie, that would have been in-place of Nemesis, that included elements of DS9, Voyager, as well as TNG. Voyager is the series that didn't get enough resolution IMO, given that the show ended instantly after they got to the Alpha Quadrant. Seeing the TNG, DS9, and Voyager crews working together somehow would have been very cool.

It would be difficult to have a DS9-only movie IMO, given that a large number of the main cast aren't even on DS9 anymore as of the last episode.

Unfortunately any movie that included anyone from DS9 or Voyager might have served to limit Brent Spiner's screen time, so that obviously wouldn't have worked.
GotNoRice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2014, 05:01 PM   #4
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

I don't think a DS9 movie that ignored the other series would have been viable, but one that incorporated elements of the other series might have had potential.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2014, 05:09 PM   #5
Xzpezer
Lieutenant

You right DS9 ended very well it had the best ending in the star trek shows. I still would have loved to have seen a DS9 film.
Xzpezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2014, 05:48 PM   #6
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

Xzpezer wrote: View Post
Can someone please tell me why it never got a movie.
For the simple reason that it wasn't anywhere near as popular as the TNG crew or the original crew.
Old January 5 2014, 05:50 PM   #7
3chordboy
Lieutenant Commander

a movie wouldn't have done DS9 any justice. one of my favourite things about the show were the long payoffs of serialised TV (well, not completely serialised but Trek's best foray into the idea by far) and with all the major plot threads tied up by the end of season 7 a movie simply wouldn't have been long enough.

mini-series.... now you're talking!!
3chordboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2014, 12:55 AM   #8
Yuckleberry Finn
Vice Admiral

No. People would be confused by a star trek movie set on a space station.
Yuckleberry Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2014, 01:11 AM   #9
Harvey
Admiral

While I would have seen "What You Leave Behind" as a theatrical movie in a second -- it's a good finale hampered by limited funds (i.e. the fire caves; the re-used ship battle scenes) -- the series didn't "deserve" anything. Ratings were down compared to TNG (which itself had just had a box office misfire with Star Trek: Insurrection) and the finale felt like the end to me.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2014, 01:16 AM   #10
BruntFCA
Commander

DS9 is my favorite TV show ever but a movie would have been a horrible idea, the story was over. Somethings are better off being left well enough alone.
Old January 6 2014, 01:36 AM   #11
Viva Sativa
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Forgive me but everyone else was sparing your feelings. DS9 is a soap opera with science fiction elements. They're on a space station so they don't go where no man has gone before. There is very little venturing going on at all actually. Most scenes featuring Quark's bar derived from the show Cheers, the format is the same. I'm pretty sure Kira's sporadic love life and Odo's infatuation with her wouldn't make for good cinema. Captain Benjamin Sisko is a glorified pseudo-messiah that spit on the prime directive even more so than Professor John Gill. It was also the only Star Trek series that regularly stretched out its plot lines into 3 and even 4 episodes so audiences who didn't follow the show religiously were often lost. That being said it is still worth watching but anyone who thinks there should have been a DS9 movie should play in traffic or give themselves a colonoscopy with a phaser set to kill.

Last edited by Viva Sativa; January 6 2014 at 01:41 AM. Reason: Forgot a word.
Viva Sativa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2014, 01:40 AM   #12
Bad Thoughts
Fleet Captain

who thinks there should have a DS9 movie should play in traffic or give themselves a colonoscopy with a phaser set to kill.
That's classy! Keep up the homophobia!
Bad Thoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2014, 01:51 AM   #13
Viva Sativa
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Bad Thoughts wrote: View Post
who thinks there should have a DS9 movie should play in traffic or give themselves a colonoscopy with a phaser set to kill.
That's classy! Keep up the homophobia!
You must be analytically impaired or so insecure with your own sexuality that you look for homophobic comments. Suggesting someone should sodomize them self with phaser just validates that I have little to no regard for the lives of others, especially if all it took was something as trivial as the notion to make a DS9 movie to provoke said comment.
Viva Sativa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2014, 02:00 AM   #14
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Picard, the hobby archeologist, is tasked to find ancient Bajoran ruins to return Sisko, while Dominion forces prepare a devastating counter offensive. Throw Q into the mix, because the war between prophets and pah wraiths endangers the entire universe.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2014, 02:12 AM   #15
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

Viva Sativa wrote: View Post
Forgive me but everyone else was sparing your feelings. DS9 is a soap opera with science fiction elements. They're on a space station so they don't go where no man has gone before. There is very little venturing going on at all actually.
There's little venturing going on in any of the Trek films. The last two films stayed pretty close to earth, despite featuring a starship with which the crew could "venture."