Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 5 2014, 06:09 PM   #616
Gov Kodos
Admiral

Re: Gal Gadot cast as Wonder Woman In ‘Batman Vs. Superman’

Warped9 wrote: View Post
Gov Kodos wrote: View Post

ST09, well, I was wrong there too. It was worse than I suspected it would be.
Let it go.
My remark is not a rant and so it's perfectly valid.
Let it go. This is not a Trek thread. Let it go. That just makes you seem like a nut. Someone who won't talk about anything else, and won't let anyone else talk about anything else.

Let it go.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2014, 06:14 PM   #617
Warped9
Admiral

Let it go.
Let it go. This is not a Trek thread. Let it go. That just makes you seem like a nut. Someone who won't talk about anything else, and won't let anyone else talk about anything else.

Let it go.
Trek films get referenced here all the time in conjunction with other films and I've made one fucking reference. So I can use any film as a fair example to make a point. If you don't like it then too bad. You let it go. And if my opinion doesn't go with the grain then thats too bad as well.
Old January 5 2014, 06:14 PM   #618
sojourner
Admiral

AllStarEntprise wrote: View Post
I doubt Disney/Marvel would grant Jamie Alexander the flexibility in her contract; so she could portray WW in a Warner Bros/DC movie. Alexander was someone they were looking at back in October.

I wonder if TPTB at Disney/ Marvel are kicking themselves for not giving her bigger focus in Thor TDW. Alan Taylor the director said a lot of his planned material was cut out of the movie to make way for more Loki. This included more story for the Dark Elves and a love triangle between Thor, Jane and Sif.

Studios don't really do contracts like that. Look at Ryan Reynolds. He's played major characters for both DC and Marvel.
Old January 5 2014, 06:17 PM   #619
Gov Kodos
Admiral

Let it go.
Trek films get referenced here all the time in conjunction with other films and I've made one fucking reference. So I can use any film as a fair example to make a point. If you don't like it then too bad. You let it go. And if my opinion doesn't go with the grain then thats too bad as well.
Not a Trek thread.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2014, 06:22 PM   #620
kirk55555
Commodore

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
Anyway, this is getting ridiculous. I think she sucks, a lot of people don't, we're not going to agree or convince each other. We're just kind of arguing in circles at this point.
Getting? You passed that long ago. You've been given countless reasons why your assertions were baseless.
You know, I am pretty much done with the thread, but I have to comment on this. My opinions are no more baseless that yours. We disagree, but me disagreeing with you doesn't make my argument invalid. I think Gadot is a model who should never have started acting, and she's going to play a wimpy looking WW, and probably play her very poorly. Its fine if you don't agree, but that doesn't make me wrong, or right. We can both be right, in our own opinion. I think people who like her are as weird as people think I am for hating her, but thats no reason to try to belittle my opinion. I've never said that people are wrong or jerks for liking her, everything I've said is from my perspective, and its my opinion. I hate her as WW, and that will never change. You can think whatever you want about her, my opinion doesn't change that.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2014, 06:30 PM   #621
sojourner
Admiral

The difference is we're willing to wait and see how she turns out. You've already formed an opinion based on lack of knowledge.
Old January 5 2014, 06:41 PM   #622
Warped9
Admiral

Let it go.
Not a Trek thread.
You seem to have overlooked or simply ignored the fact I was also referencing other films. Would you have felt better if I'd included Starship Troopers and Battlefied Earth and Altered States as films worse than I expected?

So unless you have something of relevance to contribute to the discussion at hand then you let it go. My reference was perfectly valid for the point I was making so get the hell off my back.
Old January 5 2014, 06:49 PM   #623
kirk55555
Commodore

sojourner wrote: View Post
The difference is we're willing to wait and see how she turns out. You've already formed an opinion based on lack of knowledge.
I've formed an opinion based off available evidence. She's too small, and her most well known previous role was the complete opposite of WW and poorly acted (although no one could have made that junk work). Outside of joke casting someone, she's one of the worst choices they could have made and still cast someone who looked remotely like WW.

Why is it such a big deal? My opinion doesn't effect your enjoyment of her casting. To me, she's a horrible choice, and almost certainly a horrible actress anyway. She's also in the sequel to an extremely mediocre movie, with a character written by a guy who has written maybe one good female character, ever. She fails in every category, and she has nothing to work with anyway. That's just my opinion, but I didn't just pull it out of thin air. I just arrived at a different conclusion based off what I saw and what I think about superheroes than you did.

This isn't some kind of universal absolute. For me, she could never play a good WW. Joss Whedon could be writing/directing the movie and she'd still be a horrible choice. She's a model who, up until now, only got roles her kind of actress deserves. She's about as appropriate choice for WW as someone like Megan Fox would be, and probably about as skilled an actress.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2014, 06:50 PM   #624
the G-man
Commodore

As I said above, I'm willing to keep an open mind.

That being said, there is nothing inherently invalid in forming an opinion about a movie (or other work of art) based on past experiences (or lack thereof) with the talent involved.

No one can see every movie. We all make decisions whether to see each movie based on various factors that lead us to form an opinion as to whether we might enjoy it. Those factors include the director, the storyline, the pretrial publicity and, yes, the actors.

In fact, if someone's pre-existing familiarity with an actor is not supposed to be a factor in marketing a movie, then why does Hollywood bother to spend money on big name actors who supposedly put butts in the seats? Why hire, for example, George Clooney and Sandra Bullock for "Gravity" when you could have (for much less money) hired Anthony Edwards and Amanda Peet? Why spend millions on getting Tom Hanks for "Captain Phillips" when you could have gone with his "Toy Story" co-star Tim Allen?

Ultimately it is still about forming opinions, and everyone is entitled to his or her own tastes.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2014, 07:13 PM   #625
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile

She's a model who, up until now, only got roles her kind of actress deserves.

So a model never deserves a chance at anything other than "junk work" roles? A former model doesn't "deserve" the opportunity to play a role that might require something more challenging than just being eye-candy ... perhaps even an Oscar-worthy performance?

There's an example of an "opinion" that is completely wrong.
Old January 5 2014, 07:14 PM   #626
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

What was it that Data once said: "the beginning of wisdom is I do not know". I don't know whether Gal Gadot will or won't be a good Wonder Woman. I won't know until I actually see some footage.
Old January 5 2014, 07:27 PM   #627
Neroon
Mod of balance

Not a Trek thread.
You seem to have overlooked or simply ignored the fact I was also referencing other films. Would you have felt better if I'd included Starship Troopers and Battlefied Earth and Altered States as films worse than I expected?

So unless you have something of relevance to contribute to the discussion at hand then you let it go. My reference was perfectly valid for the point I was making so get the hell off my back.
The best course of action should you feel there is a problem is to notify the moderators and then let them handle it. As opposed to continuing to pursue the conflict.
Old January 5 2014, 08:22 PM   #628
Aldo
Admiral

This is rather narrow minded and a tad bit offensive too. But then again that is your M.O. So just curious, have you even seen 'Man of Steel' yet? No, didn't think so. You just continue to prejudge everything.

I on the other hand will keep an open mind, I did when I went and saw MOS, sure I had problems with it, but the good far outweighed the bad.
Old January 5 2014, 09:58 PM   #629
FPAlpha
Vice Admiral

Ancient Mariner wrote: View Post

So a model never deserves a chance at anything other than "junk work" roles? A former model doesn't "deserve" the opportunity to play a role that might require something more challenging than just being eye-candy ... perhaps even an Oscar-worthy performance?

There's an example of an "opinion" that is completely wrong.
My best example is Jennifer Lawrence in these cases. She's not model thin (thankfully) but she could be a model if she wanted because she's attractive enough.

However she's got raw talent in spades when people who don't know her work would put her away as just another pretty face akin to Twillight's Kristen Stewart (i have rarely seen such a bad actress become so huge.. closest example is Megan Fox). She stars in another teenager hype drama but the difference is that she is simply leagues above in acting talent and i'm pretty sure some book fans lost their shit when she got cast.

So it's just petty ignorance and bias that lets some stomp their feet like a little child who didn't get their way and they are the negative examples people point out when talking about our little culture.. the people who get angry when the movie has the wrong color of the nacelles.
FPAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2014, 10:16 PM   #630
sojourner
Admiral

other actresses that started as models:

Charlize Theron
Jennifer Lawrence
Jaime King
Mischa Barton
Rebecca Romjin
Uma Thurman
Evangeline Lilly
Cameron Diaz
Angie Harmon
Famke Janssen
Kim Basinger
Milla Jovovich
Elizabeth Hurley
Andie McDowell
Tricia Helfer
Sharon Stone
Vanessa Williams
Halle Berry

Not a comprehensive list, but I think you'll find a few of them became good enough to win Oscars.