Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old January 4 2014, 02:28 PM   #1
desfem79
Lieutenant Commander

A post-Insurrection/pre-Nemesis TNG mini-series?

This isn't perhaps "future" of Trek, but instead of Enterprise, should there have been a miniseries, in say 2001 or 2002 even, of the Enterprise-E's missions? Essentially a TNG 2?

Sir Patrick says he doesn't want to play Picard again now, but 2001 was obviously prior to Nemesis. and Michael Dorn had no DS9 commitments to adhere by that time.

At the least, it would have been a boon to Paramount, as they could bank in on the success of the past series, and it would have attained high ratings. The only issue is the episode quality, but then many of the TNG/DS9 writers were still around then. It also could have explored many of the DS9 finale's loose ends (,e.g. UFP/Romulan relations, Worf being an Ambassador and/or rejoining the Enterprise crew, any potential occupation of Cardassia, etc.)

As said, maybe this shouldn't be on a "future" of Trek forum, but it seemed like a cool idea to note lol.
desfem79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2014, 02:54 PM   #2
2takesfrakes
Commodore

Re: A post-Insurrection/pre-Nemesis TNG mini-series?

A mini-series is a great idea for STAR TREK to return to television with! A LOT of STAR TREK shows could come out, without - necessarily - being related to one another. I think this is a smashing idea. As to the specific instance of Post-Insurrection / Pre-Nemesis mini-series, I would've said ... "why not?"! But the cast alone would've been too cost-prohibitive, more than likely. But I would NOT have minded there being more new STAR TREK on the little screen - and I sure as hell think it could use some, now.
2takesfrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2014, 05:27 AM   #3
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7

TNG-era shows (or post TNG era shows) are not likely, because that side of the franchise produced ever-diminishing profit for Paramount. nuTrek gave the franchise profit and popularity... something the TNG movies failed to deliver.

IMO, any new Trek on the small screen will have to be set in the FAR future from TNG, such that no crossovers would be possible. This would necessitate new casting and characters not seen previously. The other choice is a nuTrek-based series. Either series would/should be animated. It would be more cost-effective.
Old January 5 2014, 06:18 PM   #4
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

Sector 7 wrote: View Post
IMO, any new Trek on the small screen will have to be set in the FAR future from TNG, such that no crossovers would be possible. This would necessitate new casting and characters not seen previously. The other choice is a nuTrek-based series.
They can also simply reboot Kirk and Spock on the small screen and we can have Kirk, Spock, and the Enterprise.
Old January 5 2014, 06:18 PM   #5
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Yea, I think a Star Fleet Academy Show could actually do very well on CW, with The General Audience, though I'm not sure how happy The Rabid Trek Fan Base would be with a CW Trek (Being on CW, it probably would be Soapy with lots of Teen/Twenty-something angst, lots of pretty actors playing the roles, backstabbing/Rivalries and probably a fair amount of everyone sleeping with everyone else)

As far as something familiar to attract viewers, I think it's far more likely it would be a Genre Iconic Actor playing a new character in a Mentor position, rather then am Iconic Character returning as a mentor

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2014, 06:20 PM   #6
Xzpezer
Lieutenant

That would be great we could see what has happened to the romulan star empire after the destruction of Romulus.
Xzpezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2014, 11:00 PM   #7
Dukhat
Commodore

I seriously doubt CBS would spend the quite large amount of money for sets, props, models, etc. just to make a miniseries.
Old January 19 2014, 09:30 AM   #8
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Yea, I think a Star Fleet Academy Show could actually do very well on CW, with The General Audience, though I'm not sure how happy The Rabid Trek Fan Base would be with a CW Trek (Being on CW, it probably would be Soapy with lots of Teen/Twenty-something angst, lots of pretty actors playing the roles, backstabbing/Rivalries and probably a fair amount of everyone sleeping with everyone else)

As far as something familiar to attract viewers, I think it's far more likely it would be a Genre Iconic Actor playing a new character in a Mentor position, rather then am Iconic Character returning as a mentor
Somebody who posted here once suggested this: Star Trek: Starfleet Academy
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2014, 10:38 PM   #9
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Sindatur wrote: View Post
it probably would be Soapy

That does seem to be the theme with current scifi/fantasy shows that stay in production for multiple seasons.

with lots of Teen/Twenty-something angst

Lots? No, some yes.

lots of pretty actors playing the roles

You saw the last two movies yes?

backstabbing/Rivalries

I would want to see at least some rivalries, the "everyone gets along" thing from TNG won't play today.

and probably a fair amount of everyone sleeping with everyone else
Late teens and early twenties in what is basically a college environment, again with the yes. Young people far from home with the first independence many of them have ever experienced.

A completely chaste group of young men and women (and others?) wouldn't be realistic, not now or centuries from now.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2014, 10:22 AM   #10
CTGuyton
Lieutenant Commander

I think a CW series would be fun. I've never had a problem with hot chicks sleeping around and with Kirk and Riker's reputations, neither has Trek. It would open up a huge new audience, although many in the current audience will say it's not Star Trek. Personally, I've always considered Trek to be the universe not just the specific shows or characters. I think there is plenty of room for a CW show in that universe.

Another idea I wanted to throw out there. I think a miniseries would be a great idea to. If anyone has seen HBO's John Adams with Paul Giamatti. It was 8 or 9 episodes that followed his life from just before the Boston Tea Party to his death. I've thought that something similar could be pretty cool for ST. Maybe follow the life of Worf. Especially set in the new timeline, we can see how his life might be different. I could see the finale with him walking onto the bridge of the Enterprise for the first time or something.

But as someone mentioned before, Star Trek sets aren't cheap. I'm sure they can reuse the bridge and wardrobe from the JJ films to begin and offset some of those costs(obviously, not for the Worf Saga) but maybe rather than a straight miniseries, they could do an Anthology series like American Horror Story. I think they use the same cast to play different characters every year, but ST could just have different crews and casts for each year. They could even set it as all happening at the same time. Each season is the year 2350 but from the POV of different people and ships.
CTGuyton is offline   Reply With Quote