Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old December 30 2013, 06:40 PM   #16
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Re: Does the Nu Ent have Quantum Slipstream?

Set Harth wrote: View Post
We don't really get a definitive sense of how long it took them to get to Klingon space in the first place, do we?
I wonder why they didn't just beam the torpedoes to Kronos, the same way Khan got there.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2013, 07:07 PM   #17
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

The transwarp beaming technology was confiscated by Section 31, whose HQ was destroyed by Thomas Harewood. It's gone.
Old December 30 2013, 08:49 PM   #18
P0sitr0nic
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to P0sitr0nic

Unless Scotty remembers it. And i dont see him actually forgetting something like that.
Old December 30 2013, 09:12 PM   #19
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

P0sitr0nic wrote: View Post
Unless Scotty remembers it. And i dont see him actually forgetting something like that.
Well, it *is* a complex equation. Even the best theorists and mathematicians need to keep their notes handy.
Old December 30 2013, 09:13 PM   #20
Admiral

If he remembered it and could recreate it at all, he wouldn't have been so angry that it was confiscated.
Old December 30 2013, 09:54 PM   #21
Ryan8bit
Commodore

I'm pretty sure that's not why he was angry.

Also, if S31 confiscated it, shouldn't it have been a huge shock when they found it was used? Wouldn't the idea that technology is confiscated and not allowed to be used be a huge red flag?
Ryan8bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2013, 10:29 PM   #22
Admiral

"There are plenty of straws. How about Starfleet confiscating my trans-warp equation, and now some madman's using it to hop around the galaxy?!"

Scotty's the guy who identified the device in the wreckage of Khan's jumpship. I'm sure if someone else found it and realized what it was, there could have been something of an outcry. But he brought it right to Kirk who brought it straight to Marcus.
Old December 31 2013, 04:38 PM   #23
Ryan8bit
Commodore

I don't understand how you can confiscate an idea though. And that's pretty shady behavior for Starfleet if they took it, didn't allow it to be used, and used it.

Regardless, the original point is moot because if Starfleet had the technology, and it was used by one of its operatives (or Section 31's), then nothing really did stop them from physically beaming over the torpedos.
Ryan8bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2013, 06:31 PM   #24
YellowSubmarine
Commodore

I think the Nu Ent has a warp drive, not a quantum slipstream drive. Quantum slipstream is too complicated a term, warp is much nicer and tender on the tongue.

What's more, they seem to get faster from Qo'noS to Earth than from Vulcan to Earth in ST09. Spock Prime and Kirk walked for at least a few hours on Delta Vega, not accounting for the time Scotty needed to modify the transporter. That's a long time that the Enterprise was moving in the wrong direction, which they made up for with a half of a warp factor, and it is also a long time for which the Narada was moving. That's incompatible enough with going from Qo'noS to Earth in under ten minutes, so looking for explanations is an invitation for a headache. I don't like headaches.

Somewhat ironic. Dash with an insane speed around the galaxy, and you might actually see the stars move as they did in the TNG era.* Instead, both with the quantum slipstream drive and in nuTrek, the stars are hidden behind this tunnel of light, so you can't see them.

* Checking with Celestia, going 50 light years in a couple of seconds, seems to produce similar but slower effect. Going 500 light years in a couple of seconds, and it's about right. I should think that if you saw the stars moving the way they did in TNG, you'd know something's not quite right with the speed.

Last edited by YellowSubmarine; December 31 2013 at 06:45 PM.
YellowSubmarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2014, 07:43 AM   #25
captainkirk
Commander

I think that when the Enterprise was returning from Vulcan the ships was damaged and they couldn't go as fast as normal. Remember how Chekov said "If Mr. Scott can get us to warp factor 4...". Amusingly though, the HUD on the viewscreen said that they were going faster than that.
Old January 3 2014, 08:09 AM   #26
captainkirk
Commander

T'Girl wrote: View Post
I wonder why they didn't just beam the torpedoes to Kronos, the same way Khan got there.

I believe this was because Marcus wanted the Enterprise to get caught by the Klingons so that it would start a war.
Old January 3 2014, 04:17 PM   #27
JWPlatt
Lieutenant Commander

The Stig wrote: View Post
As with every single Trek outing in history, the Enterprise moves at the speed of plot. Attempting to get the distances and speeds to reconcile is the utmost exercise in futility.
THIS is the most intelligent and rational explanation in this thread or any other like it. If you MUST reconcile it within the bounds of the fiction, consider the writers part of the Q continuum; the gods change the physics to suit their purposes.
JWPlatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2014, 10:26 AM   #28
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

Ryan8bit wrote: View Post
I'm pretty sure that's not why he was angry.

Also, if S31 confiscated it, shouldn't it have been a huge shock when they found it was used? Wouldn't the idea that technology is confiscated and not allowed to be used be a huge red flag?
This post just makes me ponder what the heck Starfleet/the Federation did with all that technology that our heroes have found over the years, from TOS to Voyager. Sure, the novels always say that they're tucked away, but that's not really canon. Surely there are results from the Dyson Sphere expedition force, or the Planet Killer being reverse-engineered. Voyager bought super-powerful torpedoes from an alien vendor, but the only time we ever saw it was the test fire.

The TNG crew appropriating nanite technology with the possibility of using them against the Borg is one of the few times I can think of where previously found technologies and discoveries were even mentioned again, as well as the Iconian gateways returning in DS9.

Of course, the simplest answer is that the writers had other ideas, and that the episodes with those technologies were rarely ever meant to have follow-ups. But still, even just between Kirk and Picard, Starfleet should have quite a collection.
Old January 4 2014, 12:07 PM   #29
Admiral

I want to know why nobody uses the serum from "Plato's Stepchildren" which gave Kirk and Spock telekinesis!
Old January 4 2014, 04:50 PM   #30
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Cyke101 wrote:
Sure, the novels always say that they're tucked away, but that's not really canon.
"Top men."

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote:
I want to know why nobody uses the serum from "Plato's Stepchildren" which gave Kirk and Spock telekinesis!
I want to know why the galactic barrier isn't producing a steady stream of Gary Mitchells!