To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old January 3 2014, 06:09 PM   #166
Caligula
Vice Admiral

Re: College Football 2013

tighr wrote: View Post
Caligula wrote: View Post
It'll be hard to top either the Peach Bowl (yeah, it has a different name now, but it'll always be the Peach Bowl to me)
My hope is that Chik-Fil-A either renames it back to the Peach Bowl, or the next sponsor does. Travesty, you can't mess with tradition like that. I feel the same about the Tangerine/Citrus Bowl.
Yeah, here too. I think if any of the BCS bowls got renamed, people would riot. Speaking of the Sugar Bowl, I find that Mercedes Benz logo on the ceiling of the Superdome a bit obscene. The only exception I would make to how I feel about all of the corporate renaming of bowl games is the Outback Bowl. I just like the sound of it better than the Hall of Fame Bowl.

Kestrel wrote: View Post
Tennessee may not have gone bowling, but watching Alabama go down in flames when everybody assumed a walkover was a pretty nice substitute. I do believe they're on a losing streak now.
I'm not brokenhearted about the Tide's loss, either, but did it really have to be Oklahoma? I don't care for the Sooners one bit, and I was hoping to see Stoops eat his words after calling the SEC's dominance "propaganda." One conference can't win seven national championships in a row (and be in competition for an eighth) on good word-of-mouth alone! My loathing for Alabama has cooled in recent years due to my respect for Nick Saban, a coach I have admired since he was at Michigan State. It's Florida whose misery I always take great pleasure watching... especially their loss to Georgia Southern this season. Holy cow.
Caligula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2014, 03:47 AM   #167
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

I didn't even quite make the connection that the Outback Bowl was a sponsor. It almost just sounds like a plausible name (although, in retrospect, it's on the entirely wrong side of the world to make sense).

If a Bowl has an established name, I don't see why the sponsor can't keep the name and either affix their name in front ("The Chick-Fil-A Peach Bowl") or just sponsor it without stealing the name ("The Peach Bowl sponsored by Chick-Fil-A"). I realize it's a mouthful and still very corporate, but better than it is currently.
Old January 4 2014, 06:26 AM   #168
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

Neroon wrote: View Post
This year I was also one who lamented how weak they were, but the post-season performance has been much better than advertised, certainly not down to the level of derision the conference has been suffering.
You were saying?

Seriously though Miller played his heart out, obviously injured. That was one of the best bowl games in years. Watkins from Clemson is a serious dude.

Better luck next year.

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2014, 06:41 AM   #169

Flipped over just in time to see the end of the Cotton Bowl. Wow!

I wish they didn't have them at the same time. Looks like I missed another good game.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
Old January 4 2014, 06:45 AM   #170
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

Use of Time wrote: View Post
The only thing I have an issue with is the attitude of most SEC fans. I have no problem ackowledging that they are the best conference in college football but it's gotten to the point now where SEC fans act like other schools couldn't even share the field with the SEC.
QFT, and I'm a fan of an SEC school.

Caligula wrote: View Post
I'm not brokenhearted about the Tide's loss, either, but did it really have to be Oklahoma? I don't care for the Sooners one bit, and I was hoping to see Stoops eat his words after calling the SEC's dominance "propaganda." One conference can't win seven national championships in a row (and be in competition for an eighth) on good word-of-mouth alone! My loathing for Alabama has cooled in recent years due to my respect for Nick Saban, a coach I have admired since he was at Michigan State. It's Florida whose misery I always take great pleasure watching... especially their loss to Georgia Southern this season. Holy cow.
My loathing for Alabama has only grown, and they're the epitome of the swaggeringly obnoxious "S-E-C!!! S-E-C!!! S-E-C!!!" fans. I don't have any particular love for Oklahoma but watching Stoops' squad call out and then hammer the Tide was glorious.
Old January 4 2014, 07:21 AM   #171
feek61
Captain

I was glad to see Oklahoma beat Alabama but I would hardly call the victory a result of "Stoop's squad call out and then hammer the Tide." I believe that OK scored 21 points on turn overs; hardly a hammering.
Old January 4 2014, 02:55 PM   #172
Use of Time
Commodore

feek61 wrote: View Post
I was glad to see Oklahoma beat Alabama but I would hardly call the victory a result of "Stoop's squad call out and then hammer the Tide." I believe that OK scored 21 points on turn overs; hardly a hammering.
I don't know about hammer but they completely dominated that fourth quarter with a nice clock eating drive that started around 6:12 and ended giving Bama the ball with about 56 seconds and no timeouts IIRC. It was a lesson on how to close out a football game.

I really do believe that Stoops outcoached Saban in this game. Nick has a history of struggling with up-tempo complex offenses similar to what OK ran. He has even publicly acknowledged this after losses to Auburn and Texas A&M. There were some really great screen packages that Stoops dialed up to help Knight beat the pass rush on third down and save drives.
Old January 4 2014, 10:16 PM   #173
tighr
Commodore

Kestrel wrote: View Post
My loathing for Alabama has only grown, and they're the epitome of the swaggeringly obnoxious "S-E-C!!! S-E-C!!! S-E-C!!!" fans.
To be fair, most of that is the other 13 schools hanging their hat on Alabama's success. Alabama fans are Alabama fans. This isn't the end of the Alabama "dynasty", they'll be back.
Old January 7 2014, 03:55 AM   #174
Use of Time
Commodore

Could FSU look any more lost and overwhelmed out there?
Old January 7 2014, 10:08 AM   #175
Kronos
Admiral

Big time choke job by Aubbie, you don't allow 21 points in the 4th after being up 18 unless you are blowing it.
Old January 7 2014, 02:25 PM   #176

That was a crazy ending. 4 touchdowns in 4 minutes???

Old January 8 2014, 03:03 AM   #177
Use of Time
Commodore

Love it. Really enjoyed Saban providing analysis as well. Glad I stayed up to finish it. I was close to calling it a night until the fake punt in the second quarter.
Old January 12 2014, 10:54 PM   #178
publiusr
Commodore

The crystal football leaves Alabama (the state) at last, due to the FSU player also from here, with FSU really an SEC team in an ACC conferance.

Sorry about the Alabama woman doing that swan dive
http://m.si.com/3748799/watch-an-ang...r-bowl-stands/

Auburn fans were said to be a lot nicer and took the loss in stride. As Martok said of Worf during a fight against Jem Hadar--"Honor has been satisfied."
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote