New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old January 2 2014, 03:11 AM   #1
Danny99
Vice Admiral

Movies Seen In 2014

New Year, New Thread.

Didn't know who was starting it, but here it is.
Old January 2 2014, 04:13 AM   #2
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile
Re: Movies Seen In 2014

Frozen - Theater - Went to a Matinee showing today with my two boys and saw Frozen for the second time. First time in forever seeing the same movie twice and it's well worth it. This is my favorite movie for 2013, so far. The story works on so many levels, turning many Disney tropes on their heads. The songs are rich and engaging, especially Let it Go which Idina Menzel just kills.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Tom Hendricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2014, 09:08 AM   #3
Harvey
Admiral

On a TV:
1. The Land Unknown (1957) -- C-

It's hard to believe it, but this was initially intended to be an A-picture. Jack Arnold was going to direct, it was going to be in color, and Cary Grant was being discussed as a possible star. Then MCA bought out Universal International, and by the time this made it to the screen (in black and white) the only thing remotely impressive was that it was in CinemaScope. It's not tense, the effects are terrible (just to scratch the surface, there is a man in a suit as a T-Rex, see-through optical printing, flimsy models, and lizards passed of as dinosaurs), and the plot is only able to lurch forward by forcing the characters into acting like complete idiots. This came out as the '50s SF craze was cresting; it's nothing more than an unremarkable entry that came at the end of a cycle.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2014, 12:33 PM   #4
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

Saw Smaug again. Most of the effects were pretty bad. There was a scene where a bunch of orcs were making their way along the side of a river, and it looked they were running in a studio hitting their marks and then compositied into a background plate later in post. Some of the bluescreen compositiing was bad when they were in the Lonely Mountain caverns at the end. Smaug looked good (they spend a lot of $ on him) but in two or three shots he seemed to turn too quickly.

Also watched the Wolverine earlier in the day, after Redbox finally released it. t was okay. Great final scene, but Viper and the Silver Samurai were both stupid. And for some reason the ninja fight was cut. Disappointing overall, despite great performances from Jackman and the other two female main characters.
Old January 2 2014, 01:09 PM   #5
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

The Devil's Double - Netflix Instant

First movie of the new year was watched just past midnight last night.

Pretty good drama set in Iraq shortly before Operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm, it tells the based on a true story of an Iraqi soldier coerced into takin' on the job of body double for one of Saddam's sons.

Dominick Cooper did a good job in the dual role, too.

But the best shot had to be of Saddam playin' tennis with his double...that was mind bogglin'.
Old January 2 2014, 08:10 PM   #6
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

2014 First time viewed films:
1. Saving Mr.Banks: A

This pseudo documentary about the decades long effort that Walt Disney had while trying to get author P.L. Travers to agree to let him do Mary Poppins was truly an enjoyable film. Hanks and Thompson both knock it out of the park. Both understanding what a property/character means to it's creator and the themes of family that are woven underneath the whole narrative. From Walt's side, to Travers right through to Ralph(played by Paul Giamatti(sp) and his discussions about his daughter Jane.
Colin Ferrell should also be given props for his role as Pamela's father in the flashback sequences.

The Freudian nature of what not only Mary Poppins means to Ms.Travers but that of Mr.Banks. Which I admit going in I was not immediately connecting the dots as Mr.Banks from the film, he isn't the character I instantly think of, not even in my top 3. I kept thinking, Hanks is Disney....who is Banks? Felt silly, I should've known. When placed into the perspective the film does so, I need to go and re-watch Mary Poppins. I've seen it sometime in the last 5yrs so I won't add it to my list but with the new background it may cause me to look at that character with some new light.

I was going to see Walter Mitty but my freebie pass was good for that. I feel I still saw a great film for free though.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2014, 09:22 PM   #7
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

1. Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues ★★★
The good:
  • There's a scene that I don't want to spoil near the end of the movie, it's the funniest thing in cinema history. I was laughing so hard I was crying.
  • Bats: Chicken of the cave
  • The music
The bad
  • The Brick romance
  • The shark
2. The Kings of Summer ★★★1/2
The Good:
  • Nick Offerman
  • I'm a sucker for coming of age stories
  • The soundtrack

The bad:
  • A couple of the characters are unbelievably weird. It would distract me from the movie ocassionally. Otherwise, no complaints.
Old January 3 2014, 12:24 AM   #8
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

I saw Elysium on Pay Per View today.

Brilliant. Loved it. "A".

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2014, 05:21 PM   #9
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

The Devil's Double - Netflix Instant
MST3K: Future War - Netflix Instant
Deceptive Practice: The Mysteries and Mentors of Ricky Jay - Netflix Instant
Stephen King's Graveyard Shift - Netflix Instant

Took three tries, but I was able to watch the latest Mystery Science Theater 3000 to be added to Netflix Instant yesterday. I kept gettin' interrupted by my nephews. One of them even watched it for a bit with me, and then asked, "Wait a minute, are they supposed to be watching a bad movie?"

Watched two movies today, so far.

First, the documentary about magician Ricky Jay, where he talks about his early influences & career, and the others he's known and learned from over the years, with clips from his performances over the last several decades.

Followed that with a Stephen King horror film about a mill with a rat infestation. It was a pretty bad movie, though I suppose the monster effects could have been worse.

Watchin' the DS9 'Emissary' now, since its the 20th anniversary of the series premiere.
Old January 3 2014, 09:15 PM   #10
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

3. About Time (2013) ★★★★

Critically divided, but I think it's one of the best films of the year. I'm a huge fan of time travel and the cast was great. There's nothing wrong with sentimentality in my opinion. Definitely go check it out.
Old January 3 2014, 09:40 PM   #11
Agent Richard07
Admiral

od0_ital wrote: View Post
Watchin' the DS9 'Emissary' now, since its the 20th anniversary of the series premiere.
DS9 started in 1993 not '94.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2014, 10:43 PM   #12
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

2014 First time viewed films:
1. Saving Mr.Banks: A
2. American Hustle: A-

I found it interesting the way the film opens:
"Some of this actually happened"

Leaving you to decide what and how much is a dramatization and what parts are more factual. It's an enjoyable film if perhaps 10 minutes or so too long. The second act starts to drag a bit which had me beginning to wonder when the film might actually end. Solid performances all around which makes even the slower parts in the second act manageable. Sense I didn't follow production or details on this film at all I was pleased to see a 5-7min cameo role by a particular actor in the role he was given. Christian Bale and Bradley Cooper played off of and against each other incredibly well. As did Amy Adams and Jennifer Lawrence although they only had one prolonged sequence together. Jeremy Renner should not be overlooked but probably will be if only cause he was playing the least animated and possibly "realist" character of the story.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2014, 02:47 AM   #13
zakkrusz
Rear Admiral

Heat (1995) (8)
Tales From Earthsea (5)

Last edited by zakkrusz; January 4 2014 at 07:22 AM.
zakkrusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2014, 02:58 AM   #14
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

And my first movie of 2014 is . . . The Mad Miss Manton from 1938! Who says I don't have my finger on the pulse of contemporary pop culture?

Anyway, it's a cute screwball comedy/murder mystery. Barbara Stanwyck plays a madcap New York heiress (is there any other kind?) who keeps stumbling onto dead bodies, much to aggravation of the police. A shockingly young Henry Fonda plays the exasperated newspaper editor who wants to marry her--even though she and her girlfriends keep leaving him tied-up and gagged. (Hmm.)

And, of course, a body turns up in a rumble seat--which not something you see much in movies anymore!
Old January 4 2014, 03:50 AM   #15
bbailey861
Admiral

Great minds, Greg...

My first film of the year was "College Coach", a 1933 college football film starring Dick Powell, Pat O'Brien, Ann Dvorak, and in a very small part, a young John Wayne.
bbailey861 is offline   Reply With Quote