Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old December 28 2013, 06:37 PM   #151
Pegaritaville
Vice Admiral

Re: College Football 2013

Watched Minnesota and Syracuse play in the Texas Bowl. Kind of a snoozefest- no wonder there were seats available on StubHub for as low as 73 cents.
Pegaritaville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2013, 12:37 AM   #152
Neroon
Mod of balance

Marshall Thundering Herd (the original, not the Colin Cowherd groupies) pulls off a superb win over Maryland, with an outstanding performance by QB Rakeem Cato!

And major congrats to Colorado St for a heckuva win in scintillating fashion.

As well even to USC for evidence that they are coming out form under their recent cloud.
- Proverbs 12:20
Neroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2014, 07:31 AM   #153
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

Nothing like a full slate of bowl games to take the edge off a New Year's hangover.

Let's see...

The Capital One Bowl: South Carolina and Wisconsin. The Badgers looked good early, but the Old Ball Coach has got it dialed in down there in South Carolina. Shaw accounts for 5 touchdowns: 3 passing, 1 rushing, and 1 receiving. We can call that a rich, full day.

The Rose Bowl: Stanford goes up quickly 10-0, and then Sparty comes back to lay the smackdown. Big 10 is not totally useless after all!

The Fiesta Bowl: CFU makes some people in Vegas very rich indeed. Baylor gave it a good effort, but hardly anyone gave CFU a chance. A wild, fun game.

A good day of college football!

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2014, 01:37 PM   #154
Neroon
Mod of balance

In addition to Sparty, we had Nebraska upsetting Georgia. Plus Iowa pushing LSU hard in a offense-less game. Guess that Big 10 looks REALLY weak, doesn't it?
Old January 2 2014, 03:12 PM   #155
datagal
Admiral

Big Ten were never weak. I'm a MSU alumnus (c/o '90) and I'm so proud of my Spartans.

The last time they were in the Rose Bowl, I was 20 in my junior year at MSU in 1988.

So Sweet.

rmi
datagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2014, 06:02 PM   #156
Neroon
Mod of balance

Then you have got to love reliving this play: Link to Ellsworth's play
Old January 2 2014, 06:44 PM   #157

thebabyjesus wrote: View Post
Big Ten were never weak.
Let's not go crazy...

6-15 in January Bowl games over the past 4 years.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
Old January 2 2014, 09:17 PM   #158
Caligula
Vice Admiral

It'll be hard to top either the Peach Bowl (yeah, it has a different name now, but it'll always be the Peach Bowl to me) or the Fiesta Bowl for sheer excitement. I hate that Duke lost, but they put up as good a fight as I've seen from them all year. Maybe they'll be back in the ACC title game sooner than we think! As for Central Florida, I love it when the underdog proves all the doubters wrong. Speaking of which, can Michigan State finally be given the respect they deserve? They couldn't have closed out their season in a more impressive manner.
Caligula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2014, 09:34 PM   #159
tighr
Commodore

Caligula wrote: View Post
It'll be hard to top either the Peach Bowl (yeah, it has a different name now, but it'll always be the Peach Bowl to me)
My hope is that Chik-Fil-A either renames it back to the Peach Bowl, or the next sponsor does. Travesty, you can't mess with tradition like that. I feel the same about the Tangerine/Citrus Bowl.
Old January 3 2014, 03:40 AM   #160
Neroon
Mod of balance

1001001 wrote: View Post
thebabyjesus wrote: View Post
Big Ten were never weak.
Let's not go crazy...

6-15 in January Bowl games over the past 4 years.
What's the PAC-12 record in those conditions?
Old January 3 2014, 04:04 AM   #161

Well, I know USC beat the Big Ten champs 4 times since 2003...

PAC 12 won six bowl games this year alone. I looked for a comparable stat, but couldn't find one easily. The Big Ten one came from an article today.

I don't think there's much debate that the Big Ten has been a disappointment in big games, is there?
Old January 3 2014, 09:00 AM   #162
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

Tennessee may not have gone bowling, but watching Alabama go down in flames when everybody assumed a walkover was a pretty nice substitute. I do believe they're on a losing streak now.
Old January 3 2014, 01:24 PM   #163
Use of Time
Commodore

It was also a nice coming out party for OU QB Trevor Knight. Very impressive under duress all night. Things couldn't have gone better for OU and they might have earned themselves a pretty nice pre-season ranking to start next year.
Old January 3 2014, 04:24 PM   #164
Neroon
Mod of balance

1001001 wrote: View Post
Well, I know USC beat the Big Ten champs 4 times since 2003...

PAC 12 won six bowl games this year alone. I looked for a comparable stat, but couldn't find one easily. The Big Ten one came from an article today.

I don't think there's much debate that the Big Ten has been a disappointment in big games, is there?
You did say "January bowl games", though. I went through the conferences bowl records team-by-team for the past 4 years, and other than Stanford and Oregon, there hasn't been much for January bowls. Even Oregon has been somewhat mixed. Plus right before that 4 year time, they lost the Rose Bowl to Ohio St.

There's no doubt the Big 10 has not been up to earlier standards, and has weakened over the last several years. The question is by how much. This year I was also one who lamented how weak they were, but the post-season performance has been much better than advertised, certainly not down to the level of derision the conference has been suffering.
Old January 3 2014, 06:08 PM   #165
Use of Time
Commodore

I've never been much of a "conference" fan. I'm a Hokie fan but I don't really care much about conference arguments. The only thing I have an issue with is the attitude of most SEC fans. I have no problem ackowledging that they are the best conference in college football but it's gotten to the point now where SEC fans act like other schools couldn't even share the field with the SEC.