Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Wheaton Buys Wesley Crusher Hoodie

People’s Choice Award Nominations

Quinto: Not Internally Homophobic

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old January 3 2014, 07:27 AM   #76
Captain Ice
Pumpkin God

Location: In the pumpkin patch to surprise Linus and Captain Ice
Re: What Didja Get For Christmas?

auntiehill wrote: View Post
cooleddie74 wrote: View Post
Guess I'm going to have to get my hands on one of these and experiment with it. Pure sugar sodas are generally a thing of the past here in the States (except for the "Throwback" Pepsis, Dr. Peppers and Mountain Dews, but those are a tiny minority of the market at the moment) and I prefer the way colas and other sodas tasted when I was a kid and teenager. Cleaner, crisper and not as heavy.
You should try to get the Mexican Coke; they still use the pure cane sugar, and not the corn syrup. It's really nice. All our local grocery stores carry it, but it's on the "International" food aisles.
Same with Fanta and Sprite here. Strangely enough, you can buy them at any non-Lowe's/Home Depot hardware store here.

As for Christmas:

Received:

$100 check
Burger King giftcard
Barnes and Noble giftcard
Dutch Bros giftcard
2 trek books from my TrekBBS Secret Santa
Foodsaver machine
Several books
Star Trek The Next Generation Trivia, Exploration, and Discovery game
Star Trek PS3 game
VCR/DVD Recorder

Gave:

Pandora charm for my girlfriend
TARDIS 50th anniversary ornament for my middle brother
The Big Bang Theory Season 6 for my sister in law
A Star Wars Lego A-Wing for my nephew
Barbie Fashionista and a Barbie movie for my niece
A leather purse with a Western motif and an angel ornament for my Mom
Harkins' Theaters Souvenir t-shirt and cup for my girlfriend's son (free popcorn and $1.50 sodas at the movies for a year)
The Big Bang Theory Seasons 5 and 6 for my other brother
A CD and fingerless gloves for my Secret Santa recipient
Several tins of homemade cookies, candied walnuts, and Peppermint bark for my coworkers
Cannister of Godiva hot cocoa for my boss

RIP Dad Apr 22, 1942 - Dec 2, 2011

Captain Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2014, 07:35 AM   #77
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi
Re: What Didja Get For Christmas?

Sephiroth wrote: View Post
Venardhi wrote: View Post
Julemand wrote: View Post
^Back when I was a kid and lived with my parents (more than thirty years ago), mum and I bought a Soda Stream together -they have always been a bit on the pricey side

I found (back then) that using non-Soda Stream syrups was the way to make good sodas
I really wanted one and was on the lookout for a good deal the last few months, but doing the math I found that even just using it to make seltzer water it would probably never pay itself off due to the insane cost of the refills. Having a proprietary non-refillable cartridge is bullshit.
you can refill them at certain stores
Aren't those just trade-in locations? From what I've seen, the cartridges are specifically designed not to be refillable. Otherwise people would just get adapters and refill them for pennies on the dollar. Online, I've actually found a few "alternative" methods for refilling like getting an adapter to use with non-official cartridges or manually opening the cartridges to fill with equivalent amounts of dry ice(which then sublimates and condenses and hopefully doesn't blow out in the process). Seems like someone would have figured out by now to make one without the proprietary cartridges and undercut sodastream. The syrups are still practically pure profit after all, and I would personally pay more knowing my refills would be cheaper.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.

Last edited by Venardhi; January 3 2014 at 07:49 AM.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote