Vulcan Ale – The Genesis Effect
By: T'Bonz on Aug 31

Shatner Writing Book About Friendship With Nimoy

Nimoy Documentary ON COPD In Progress

Three New Star Trek Beyond Set Shots

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy All your nerd stuff goes here.

View Poll Results: What would you do after getting bitten by a zombie
Run away and let the infection take effect, thus you become a walker. 7 21.88%
Inform your groupmates and let them decide your fate. 9 28.13%
Kill yourself with a shot to the head. 13 40.63%
Keep quiet and stay in the group. 5 15.63%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 2 2014, 05:20 PM   #16
Trekker4747
Out there, somewhere...

Re: If you were bitten by a zombie

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Gaith wrote: View Post
You don't turn until after you die.
But how long would that take? Are you saying the bite itself isn't poisonous/fatal? Because if it isn't, and everyone who dies turns anyway, not sure I see the point of the question...
You generally die fairly quickly, from a bite, but, it could be a whole day before you actually reanimate from death (IE: Turn).
Using Jim from season 1 as an example it would seem from a bite you survive on the infection for probably around 12 hours (which tells me that you die from more than a simple infection from an open wound and the "zombie virus" is doing something more especially given some of the symptoms of a bitten/about to turn person. The pain in the bones, very high fever, the "zombie visions.") and then, as said, from dead to zombie is anywhere between minutes to several hours.

If I were bitten I'd probably ask those I'm with to put me down once the illness got too bad. Probably similar to what happened with Jim in TWD. It seems you reach a point where it's too painful/miserable to go on and even up to then it doesn't seem like you're capable of much.

Take my weapon and walk into the nearest infected population center, against the walking dead's shamblers I could kill a hundred before being over ran.
Mythbusters tested this in an episode back in October. They tested it with a ranged weapon (paint ball guns to stand in for real guns) and a foam ax (to stand in for a melee weapon/ax or other blade.) The armed person stood in the middle of a circle and could not attack any "zombies" before they got to the edge of an outer circle. The melee weapon proved more effective as it didn't have the reloading, re-cocking (single action weapon) and re-aiming of the gun but it still didn't offer much help. They were only able to "kill" a dozen or so "zombies" (of several dozen) before being overwhelmed with the melee weapon and about half as many with the ranged weapon. Pure numbers overwhelm you pretty quickly and that's not even taking into consideration the fact an ax isn't going to be something you just tap someone in the head with again, draw back and go again.

And even with a double-action gun you're not going to get very far short of having something fully automatic (pretty rare and hard to get a hold of I imagine.)

So while going to the nearest population center to take out whatever you can in numbers isn't going to do you a whole lot of good. Best case case scenario you take out maybe a dozen or even a couple dozen if we allow for you to have a lot of room, time, and a fully automatic weapon with which you get all head-shots. But taking out a couple dozen or even 100 zombies isn't going to mean much in a world with 1000s or millions of them.
Old January 2 2014, 05:34 PM   #17
Gaith
Vice Admiral

No, Hanky Panky is fine
If all that's left is a few hours, and it were safe for all involved, I'd invite offers for charitable hanky-panky before voluntary euthanization, I suppose. Boys will be boys...
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2014, 05:42 PM   #18
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Gaith wrote: View Post
No, Hanky Panky is fine
If all that's left is a few hours, and it were safe for all involved, I'd invite offers for charitable hanky-panky before voluntary euthanization, I suppose. Boys will be boys...
Oh, you meant hanky panky after being bitten? I wouldn't advise that. If it were a quick reanimation, and it was a long sex act, that you were quite into, the victim might die and reanimate before you noticed, and a sexy nibble could turn into something quite different.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2014, 05:59 PM   #19
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

If it's a limb wound there's always the Herschel option.
Old January 2 2014, 10:02 PM   #20
Sephiroth
Vice Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post

Take my weapon and walk into the nearest infected population center, against the walking dead's shamblers I could kill a hundred before being over ran.
Mythbusters tested this in an episode back in October. They tested it with a ranged weapon (paint ball guns to stand in for real guns) and a foam ax (to stand in for a melee weapon/ax or other blade.) The armed person stood in the middle of a circle and could not attack any "zombies" before they got to the edge of an outer circle. The melee weapon proved more effective as it didn't have the reloading, re-cocking (single action weapon) and re-aiming of the gun but it still didn't offer much help. They were only able to "kill" a dozen or so "zombies" (of several dozen) before being overwhelmed with the melee weapon and about half as many with the ranged weapon. Pure numbers overwhelm you pretty quickly and that's not even taking into consideration the fact an ax isn't going to be something you just tap someone in the head with again, draw back and go again.

And even with a double-action gun you're not going to get very far short of having something fully automatic (pretty rare and hard to get a hold of I imagine.)

So while going to the nearest population center to take out whatever you can in numbers isn't going to do you a whole lot of good. Best case case scenario you take out maybe a dozen or even a couple dozen if we allow for you to have a lot of room, time, and a fully automatic weapon with which you get all head-shots. But taking out a couple dozen or even 100 zombies isn't going to mean much in a world with 1000s or millions of them.
My weapon would be my M40A3, I'd set up about a half mile from a "herd" and start shooting, and I have a good polearm come melee time
No, you clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in. I am not in danger, Skyler. I am the danger. A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2014, 10:08 PM   #21
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

EmoBorg wrote: View Post
In the Walking Dead Universe, Everyone turns once they die.
Ok...now I have to ask (bear in mind, I've never seen the show): If zombism is the inevitable result of all death on TWD, then why does anybody on this show do anything at all? If they're all doomed to inevitably become zombies anyway, then what's the point of anything?

Are they trying to find a cure or something? Because that would pretty much be the only thing worth fighting for in a world where everyone must become a zombie.
Everybody's looking for Stilton
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2014, 10:09 PM   #22
Gaith
Vice Admiral

Oh, you meant hanky panky after being bitten? I wouldn't advise that. If it were a quick reanimation, and it was a long sex act, that you were quite into, the victim might die and reanimate before you noticed, and a sexy nibble could turn into something quite different.
Of course, safety is key. If all that can be done for an infected amigo is to tie him to a chair and let clothed volunteers re-enact that one scene from Death Proof, so be it. Just don't send a brother off to Valhalla carrying a loaded weapon, is all I'm saying.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2014, 10:11 PM   #23
Davros
Fleet Admiral

Join the winning team. Undead and proud.
Old January 2 2014, 10:13 PM   #24
Trekker4747
Out there, somewhere...

Ru ru, chu wrote: View Post
Ok...now I have to ask (bear in mind, I've never seen the show): If zombism is the inevitable result of all death on TWD, then why does anybody on this show do anything at all? If they're all doomed to inevitably become zombies anyway, then what's the point of anything?

Are they trying to find a cure or something? Because that would pretty much be the only thing worth fighting for in a world where everyone must become a zombie.
Ummm, I dunno. Living?! I mean what do you care what happens to your body after you die? Between now and then just live your life and let everyone else deal with the consequences when it is all over.
Old January 2 2014, 11:51 PM   #25
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post

? Everybody dies in the real world too. Everybody turns in TWD-verse, but destroying the brain beforehand keeps them from coming back.
Old January 3 2014, 12:12 AM   #26
Trekker4747
Out there, somewhere...

Kestrel wrote: View Post
Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post

? Everybody dies in the real world too. Everybody turns in TWD-verse, but destroying the brain beforehand keeps them from coming back.
Yeah.... I don't get what MLB was going for there. Life is only living if your body contingent on what happens to your body when you're dead?

To answer the other part of his question, no one in the series is "looking for a cure" they're more fighting to survive and to be fair the show is only tangentially about zombies. The zombies are only occasional threats and problems the characters have to deal with, more over the show is about them just trying to survive not only this post-apocalyptic world but how they work together and maintain a form of humanity during all of this. Largely since season 2 the biggest "threat" of the season has been something else other than the zombies.

In season 2 it was a break down/power struggle in the group dynamic between Rick and Shane. In Season 3 it was the battle with the Governor and in the first part of Season 4 it was largely dealing with the new illness in the prison.

Only season 1 really had the zombies as a "threat" but that season was only a few episodes long to establish the world.

But just because everyone turns eventually doesn't mean people should just give up and die. I mean these people have struggled with these types of questions (characters have contemplated suicide and allowing others to die from their injuries to prevent them from having to go on in this world) and they're really living tough, hard, lives of just trying to survive but they're still living. What does it matter what happens when they die? (As far as we're to understand the reanimated possess non of the memories or really anything of the previous person. The zombies are purely driven by instinct and the simpler parts of the brain as established int he 1st season finale.)
Old January 3 2014, 02:15 AM   #27
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
I mean what do you care what happens to your body after you die? Between now and then just live your life and let everyone else deal with the consequences when it is all over.
I suppose it would help - and of course this question is also totally unanswerable, I'm sure - if it could be proven that a TWD zombie actually still had consciousness, so to speak. I mean, if it was just a body flopping around at random, with none of the original consciousness in it, then sure, most people wouldn't care. You wouldn't be "aware" as a zombie after you turned, if that was the case. But if you were? You wouldn't want to "live" like that, would you?

Kestrel wrote: View Post

? Everybody dies in the real world too.
But at least they STAY dead...

Everybody turns in TWD-verse, but destroying the brain beforehand keeps them from coming back.
Well, that answers the original question, then. If I were bitten, I'd shoot myself in the head straightaway.
Everybody's looking for Stilton
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2014, 02:29 AM   #28
Trekker4747
Out there, somewhere...

I suppose it would help - and of course this question is also totally unanswerable, I'm sure - if it could be proven that a TWD zombie actually still had consciousness, so to speak. I mean, if it was just a body flopping around at random, with none of the original consciousness in it, then sure, most people wouldn't care. You wouldn't be "aware" as a zombie after you turned, if that was the case. But if you were? You wouldn't want to "live" like that, would you?
The final episode of the first season established that the "you part" of the brain never comes back just the most basic, animal, functions of the brain. There's been some suggestion that some instinctual habits and/or memories may influence the zombie's actions but overall the zombies are walking corpses with no remains of the former person.

Hell, the idea that "the original person is gone" is pretty much the way zombies have worked in all forms of fiction, the zombies are purely active corpses with no awareness or real personality of their own.
Old January 3 2014, 02:33 AM   #29
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Anyway, I voted that I'd leave the group and go somewhere else. That way, no one has to kill me prematurely, but I won't be attacking their group. Seems fair to me.
Old January 3 2014, 02:42 AM   #30
JD
Admiral

Not all. I haven't seen/read them yet, but I believe Warm Bodies, Being Human UK Season 3, and In The Flesh all deal with zombies who retain or regain their personalities from when they were alive.

As for what for what I would do, I would tell everyone else in my group so they could help decide what to do, and so I could say my goodbyes.

Last edited by JD; January 3 2014 at 02:55 AM.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote