TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old January 2 2014, 11:37 PM   #61
Plum
Rear Admiral

Re: TOS Revisited - New Revelations

^^^
lol! I see. I wonder if the story about Roddenberry showing up for a meeting with his police revolver on his hip came from that time?
Old January 3 2014, 12:23 AM   #62
Harvey
Admiral

I'm not sure if I've heard that story before. Sounds like a Roddenberry tall tale, but who knows.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2014, 08:57 PM   #63
Plum
Rear Admiral

^^^
You are most likely right about that! lol
Old January 3 2014, 09:57 PM   #64
MauriceNavidad
Vice Admiral

View MauriceNavidad's Twitter Profile

Plum wrote: View Post
^^^
lol! I see. I wonder if the story about Roddenberry showing up for a meeting with his police revolver on his hip came from that time?
Harvey wrote: View Post
I'm not sure if I've heard that story before. Sounds like a Roddenberry tall tale, but who knows.
If there's any truth to that it would have been when he was still daylighting as a cop and moonlighting as a TV writer.
MauriceNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2014, 11:48 PM   #65
Darkwing
Commodore

Hadn't heard about that. Considering it was the sixties, just how badly did that go over? I know today a lot of people would pee their pants and panic over it, but in a movie / tv studio where actors are wearing prop guns all the time?
Old January 4 2014, 08:30 AM   #66
Sir Rhosis
Commodore

Harlan Ellison tells a story of going in to pitch for a TV show and methodically disassembling a .45 pistol, reassembling it, cocking it, etc., as he pitched. He's mentioned it on air and in print a couple times, though I don't recall the program he was pitching to.

Sir Rhosis

Read "Origins" at http://www.orionpressfanzines.com/articles/origins.htm
Sir Rhosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2014, 08:57 AM   #67
MauriceNavidad
Vice Admiral

View MauriceNavidad's Twitter Profile

Oh yeah, here's my proof that I was there. Somehow I forgot to surrender my pass on the way out. Oops.

Hmmm...that young writer feller needs to grow a beard!
MauriceNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2014, 09:08 AM   #68
Harvey
Admiral

Cool. I've been on the Sony and Universal lots, but I've only driven past the Paramount gates.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2014, 09:22 AM   #69
Olive, the Other Reindeer
Vice Admiral

Harvey wrote: View Post
Cool. I've been on the Sony and Universal lots, but I've only driven past the Paramount gates.
The property may be owned by Sony Pictures, but it'll always be the MGM lot to an old-timer like me!
Old January 4 2014, 01:35 PM   #70
Metryq
Captain

Lance wrote: View Post
Mutai Sho-Rin wrote: View Post
3. The Spock/Uhura relationship in the 2009 movie is unmistakably foreshadowed in these eps. Uhura's first scene in Mantrap is her attempt to "make conversation" with Spock. Basically, she's hittin' on him. Same story in Charlie X when she sings to him.
Oh definitely. Although strangely enough it took watching the series after the 2009 movie for me to see it as that, despite it obviously being there all along. And it might be early instalment weirdness, but does Spock seem to react positively to her flirtations in Charlie X, implying that there's something there on his side of it as well?
I don't know the TOS writer's intentions, but I always interpreted Uhura's flirtations as teasing the dog that's not expected to bite. (Kirk is another matter.) It was a challenge to see if she could get a rise out of Spock. Early TOS played Spock as emotionless. Later on it was established that Vulcans are extremely hot-blooded, but choose to follow a stoic philosophy.

As for the "Charlie X" scene, Spock looked like he was relaxing to the inevitable, learning to get along with his human shipmates. The rec lounge was shown as a place where rank didn't matter.

I didn't care for the TREK "reboots." Based on the TOS scenes, the "relationship" between Spock and Uhura is not unfounded, but I would not say it was "unmistakably foreshadowed." The new writers just decided it would be dramatic to have Spock throw tantrums and be all emotional. Shocker, like Spock crying in TMP.

So the "reboot" was true to Uhura's original character. Spock, not so much.
Old January 4 2014, 03:31 PM   #71
Warped9
Admiral

Metryq wrote: View Post
I don't know the TOS writer's intentions, but I always interpreted Uhura's flirtations as teasing the dog that's not expected to bite. (Kirk is another matter.) It was a challenge to see if she could get a rise out of Spock. Early TOS played Spock as emotionless. Later on it was established that Vulcans are extremely hot-blooded, but choose to follow a stoic philosophy.

As for the "Charlie X" scene, Spock looked like he was relaxing to the inevitable, learning to get along with his human shipmates. The rec lounge was shown as a place where rank didn't matter.

I didn't care for the TREK "reboots." Based on the TOS scenes, the "relationship" between Spock and Uhura is not unfounded, but I would not say it was "unmistakably foreshadowed." The new writers just decided it would be dramatic to have Spock throw tantrums and be all emotional. Shocker, like Spock crying in TMP.

So the "reboot" was true to Uhura's original character. Spock, not so much.
Agreed to a point. TOS' Uhura wasn't a whiny bitch like the JJ version.
Old January 5 2014, 03:48 AM   #72
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

I love Saldana as Uhura. I just wish she'd been given better material to work with.
Old January 5 2014, 04:26 PM   #73
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
I love Saldana as Uhura. I just wish she'd been given better material to work with.
I was pretty cold to her in Star Trek 2009, but she really grew on me in Star Trek Into Darkness.
Old January 5 2014, 05:00 PM   #74
Forbin
Admiral

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
Man, how true that is about so many actors stuck in crap films.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote