RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,713
Members: 24,209
Currently online: 913
Newest member: Farside89

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old January 1 2014, 06:42 AM   #511
Beyerstein
Captain

Re: Star Trek III - The [Speculation Begins] (Spoilers)

I'm in favor of restoring the timeline and wrapping it up by the end of the third movie.
Beyerstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2014, 05:15 PM   #512
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

'Restoring' makes no sense, since we've been repeatedly told by TPTB and in the expanded universe (comics, novels, games) that the original Trek timeline is still there existing in parallel to this one.

It would also be extremely unsatisfying for those of us who actually like these versions of the characters, to see them erased.
Old January 1 2014, 10:47 PM   #513
Maxillius
Lieutenant Commander

I want to see Bajorans and Cardassians. I want to see Kirk and the Federation kick some serious Cardassian tail and prevent the occupation. I'd also get a kick out of the wormhole getting screentime (imagine the 3D thrill-ride that can make out of THAT!)

As a Niner, that would be a bittersweet thing, to see the Bajorans get out of 50 years of pain while in a single movie my whole favorite Star Trek series gets wiped out of the timeline.
Maxillius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2014, 05:48 PM   #514
sonak
Vice Admiral

Konata Izumi wrote: View Post
They should remake the last episode of TOS.

I'd pay to see Pine play the role of captain Kirk possessed by a crazy woman. Who is going to play Lester?
Old January 2 2014, 06:01 PM   #515
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Maxillius wrote: View Post

As a Niner, that would be a bittersweet thing, to see the Bajorans get out of 50 years of pain while in a single movie my whole favorite Star Trek series gets wiped out of the timeline.
Good to know that four-and-a-half years after Star Trek 2009, people still don't understand branching timelines.
Old January 2 2014, 06:06 PM   #516
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

sonak wrote: View Post
Konata Izumi wrote: View Post
They should remake the last episode of TOS.

I'd pay to see Pine play the role of captain Kirk possessed by a crazy woman. Who is going to play Lester?
They could always give the role to Carol Marcus. Maybe they almost start something, and Carol feels used and jealous and goes off the deep end

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2014, 09:02 PM   #517
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Who cares ? You know you can still watch DS9, right ? They didn't grab all copies of the DVD and destroyed them along with the master tapes. I don't see what the problem is, even if we assume that the original timeline has been wiped.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2014, 11:09 PM   #518
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

^ Which, fortunately, it has not.

Logically speaking, the Abramsverse can never be undone, since nobody in the prime timeline knows anything about it (from their POV, Nero and Spock just vanished and were never seen again), and if somebody in the Abramsverse tries to do something like slingshot back and destroy Nero, that'll just create a third timeline - it won't eliminate the second one.

"Set phasers tae malky!"
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2014, 11:37 PM   #519
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post

Good to know that four-and-a-half years after Star Trek 2009, people still don't understand branching timelines.
The concept of non-linear aliens living in the wormhole and interacting with linear Bajor doesn't work with Abramstrek's concept of time travel anyways. I don't think the wormhole aliens produced an infinite amounts of Benjamin Sisko's to fulfil their plans in all the parallel universes, and every time they interact with him, they create a new universe. No no. They need one timeline that is subject to predestination paradoxes and bla.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2014, 11:49 PM   #520
BillJ
Admiral

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post

The concept of non-linear aliens living in the wormhole and interacting with linear Bajor doesn't work with Abramstrek's concept of time travel anyways. I don't think the wormhole aliens produced an infinite amounts of Benjamin Sisko's to fulfil their plans in all the parallel universes, and every time they interact with him, they create a new universe. No no. They need one timeline that is subject to predestination paradoxes and bla.
Depending on what one thinks of the novels, there is one that opens exactly that way. With multiple versions of Ben Sisko.

I can't remember which book... maybe The Neverending Sacrifice or The Soul Key?

EDIT: It is Fearful Symmetry.
Old January 5 2014, 03:23 AM   #521
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

I wish they'd just rebooted Trek without apology instead of doing the half-assed geek reassuring branched timeline crap.
Old January 5 2014, 12:29 PM   #522
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Speak for yourself. I love that "timeline branching crap". The trick is, they do whatever the hell they want anyway and if fans like it, they'll suspend disbelief.
Old January 5 2014, 01:25 PM   #523
Danlav05
Lieutenant Commander

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
Speak for yourself. I love that "timeline branching crap". The trick is, they do whatever the hell they want anyway and if fans like it, they'll suspend disbelief.
Yeah a parallel timeline literally mean running parallel to the first one - that's what was said in the movie

It is all a STORY, all your season boxsets are still on your shelf, JJ didn't wipe them from existence.

What of STAR TREK 13 then?

It's interesting to see how they will take the story forward- Klingons as the main enemy, would the Borg be a bit much?

Even though before 'Into Darkness' I thought that Nimoy shouldn't have been in Trek12 to give the NuCrew a chance to shine I'm glad he was there and being the 50th Anniversary should the new one be released in 2016 I hope he makes another cameo. People forget that with The Cage [50 years old this year!; filmed Nov-Dec 64] Leonard Nimoy as Spock is Star Trek's longest serving character/actor, and spans right from then to last year's film.

I do prefer an original story that moves the characters forward.
Danlav05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2014, 04:30 PM   #524
BillJ
Admiral

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
I wish they'd just rebooted Trek without apology instead of doing the half-assed geek reassuring branched timeline crap.
Same here. I appreciate them trying to split the difference but it came across awkwardly.

Danlav05 wrote: View Post

Yeah a parallel timeline literally mean running parallel to the first one - that's what was said in the movie
Well, the wording makes it vague and open to interpretation. We're really working more with writer intent than anything clearly stated on screen.
Old January 5 2014, 04:43 PM   #525
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
I agree. If they had just started over, and ST XI had not involved time travel of any kind, it still wouldn't have erased the original timeline. The two versions of BSG, for example, exist side by side, and (unlikely though it may be that they could exist in the same universe) nobody seriously thought nuBSG overwrote the old, did they? Same story here.

"Set phasers tae malky!"
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote