Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 30 2013, 01:57 AM   #1471
Aldo
Admiral

Re: X-MEN: Days Of Future Past (Casting, Rumors, Pics till release)

I don't recall them ever marketing it as a "Batman film." That is to say I think all the marketing was calling it "The Dark Knight," I think this was a rare time where WB was trusting it's audience to know what the title meant.
Old December 30 2013, 08:21 AM   #1472
Argus Skyhawk
Commodore

So the second X-Men film is really the only one that had a number. I suspect that Days of Future Past will be the last film with the original cast (Patrick Stewart, Halle Berry, etc) although I won't be surprised if Hugh Jackman keeps showing up as Wolverine in further films.
Old December 30 2013, 07:56 PM   #1473
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Argus Skyhawk wrote: View Post
So the second X-Men film is really the only one that had a number. I suspect that Days of Future Past will be the last film with the original cast (Patrick Stewart, Halle Berry, etc) although I won't be surprised if Hugh Jackman keeps showing up as Wolverine in further films.
Jackman has indicated he's unsure about future work in the role. Days of Future Past is the last film he's contractually obligated to do, so he isn't even signed to do Wolverine 3 (although Fox is trying to get him on board). I'm not saying he won't have one or two more outings, but Jackman seems pretty self-aware that he's 45 and there's only so much makeup that can be used to make him look like an ageless killing machine.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2013, 11:33 PM   #1474
Pauln6
Rear Admiral

I don't mind that much when they re-cast. I get frustrated when they reboot.

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2013, 12:29 AM   #1475
Obiwanshinobi
Rear Admiral

Maybe Dougray Scott will finally get his shot at Logan!
Obiwanshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2013, 01:14 AM   #1476
RoJoHen
Awesome

Unfortunately for me, the further they diverge from the original cast, the less interest I have in any of these films. To me, the X-Men just isn't the X-Men without is Cyclops, Jean, or Wolverine. I grew up on the 90s cartoon; those are the characters I love.
Old December 31 2013, 02:14 AM   #1477
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

I think I'll at least watch through Apocalypse. That being said, I tend to agree. I wouldn't mind a reboot after that.
Old December 31 2013, 02:31 AM   #1478
Aldo
Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Unfortunately for me, the further they diverge from the original cast, the less interest I have in any of these films. To me, the X-Men just isn't the X-Men without is Cyclops, Jean, or Wolverine. I grew up on the 90s cartoon; those are the characters I love.
But X-Men can be so much more than that core group of characters. Even now Bendis' 'Uncanny X-Men' is introducing us to new and interesting mutants who I would love to see in films one day. In fact I'd love to see more diverse line-ups in the future, and hope they move away from the core group a little.
Old December 31 2013, 02:58 AM   #1479
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

If they stick with the First Class cast, they might get around to reintroducing the likes of Cyke, Jean, and Storm.
Old January 1 2014, 03:33 AM   #1480
JD
Admiral

I really liked the First Class cast, so I don't mind if they stick with them, or at least Michael Fassbender, Jennifer Lawrence, Nicholas Hault, and James McAvoy. Honestly, I think it would be kind of cool if we rotated the casts out every 3 or 4 movies. There are more than enough X-Men characters that they could do that quite a few times, and keep the series alive and fresh.
Old January 1 2014, 04:13 AM   #1481
Skywalker
Admiral

I just want to see Cyclops and Jean Grey come back in a movie with Mr. Sinister as the main villain.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2014, 11:29 AM   #1482
Pauln6
Rear Admiral

Hanukkah Solo wrote: View Post
I just want to see Cyclops and Jean Grey come back in a movie with Mr. Sinister as the main villain.
This is why I was quite keen to see them come back to do X4 and X5 with new actors or not. If you do X4 as the Marauders Massacre you have an organic way to introduce new team members such as Psylocke, Dazzler, or Gambit (because Angel was crucified, Nightcrawler shredded, Kitty stuck out of phase, Colossus paralysed, etc), and it opens up the opportunity to bring back Scott and Jean (either as clones in which the original consciousnesses were housed by Phoenix or the originals captured by Sinister if Phoenix was merely a solid psychic projection). The goal was to use their DNA to create a powerful host body for Apocalypse so this plot leads organically into the Fall of the Mutants with the Angel of Death and other Horsemen in X5.

I would have said that a 6th film would have been Days of Future Past featuring Cable but they're going a different route for that one. But with those 6 stories done I'd feel they'd covered all the major truly 'classic' Xmen stories and I'd be happy for those movies to stand as the definitive X-movies whether they reboot or not.

Old January 2 2014, 07:45 AM   #1483
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

I generally hesitate to call for a reboot, but I think this franchise is just about ready for one. Just think of it as a parallel universe like Ultimate vs 616.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2014, 09:32 AM   #1484
Pauln6
Rear Admiral

Venardhi wrote: View Post
I generally hesitate to call for a reboot, but I think this franchise is just about ready for one. Just think of it as a parallel universe like Ultimate vs 616.
Xmen don't really have an origin story per se, except Wolverine, unless that's the tale of how they became Xmen or how the Xmen are formed. I can't see what a reboot would bring.

But then I didn't see what a reboot of Spiderman brought. They'd have saved wasting half an hour of my time if they had skipped the origin and just featured a story about the lizard with a new cast.

Old January 2 2014, 09:43 AM   #1485
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

A reboot allows you to get back to the basic premise with the core characters and none of the baggage from the last 15 years of X-Men movies. The Fox X-Universe has always been a compromise because in the late 90s no one thought you could sell comic book heroes to a mass audience without putting them in black leather and toning the whole thing down.

It also allows a mass recasting of Stewart, McKellen, Jackman, Berry, etc.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote