Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old December 31 2013, 06:33 PM   #16
Paul Weaver
Fleet Captain

Re: Captain of the next Trek series

urbandefault wrote: View Post
The next woman captain? Harry Kim.

It was bound to come up eventually.
Might as well make Bilbo Baggins captain -- if you think Harry Kim will ever get promoted you're in the realms of fantasy.
Paul Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2013, 08:17 PM   #17
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral

Paul Weaver wrote: View Post
Might as well make Bilbo Baggins captain -- if you think Harry Kim will ever get promoted you're in the realms of fantasy.
Or in the realm of TrekLit, where he has made Lieutenant. Or in the episode "Endgame" of Voyager where he was captain of the U.S.S. Rhode Island. Or....

As it happens, I think Martin Freeman would make an interesting choice to play a captain.

Old January 1 2014, 11:36 PM   #18
Sran
Commodore

USS Triumphant wrote: View Post
How about a woman as Captain? That hasn't been done before as the lead of a series, has it? I mean, there was that one series that had some woman who liked to sit in her quarters and sulk for months on end and that was addicted to holodeck romances, but I mean an ACTUAL woman being an ACTUAL captain.
Uh, oh...

Count wrote: View Post
I think whatever the gender is, we really need to see the true Starfleet officer appear as the next captain.

Sure we've had the tactician (sisko), the cowboy (kirk), the diplomat (picard), the lunatic (janeway), the bumbling fool (archer) but the one thing we've never actually seen but always heard about is the Clever Starfleet officer.

Supposedly, the best and the brightest graduate from the academy, and the very top are the ones who get the good postings, so why is it that we've never seen an officer who can simply outwit his opponents or negotiate an agreement with nothing but guile and personality alone? No weapons, no equipment, no plan and still come out on top?

Sure in limited ways we've seen Picard pull this off, or Janeway stumble through blindly until it appears she did something smart, but we've never actually seen a clever Starfleet officer, let alone a captain. I don't want to say it simply to have a crossover reference, but we really need a Dr Who like "The Doctor" character to be lead captain on the next trek series and not just have someone who's able to scheme their way to a solution not be crossed off as a racial stereotype like the Ferengi or the Romulans. Intelligence is not a sign of nefarious intention.
I may be mistaken, but Will Decker always seemed the type of officer you're describing. There's no reason why a credible way to return him to normal space can't be concocted.

Dantrek wrote: View Post
As long as its in the prime universe I would be happy. I had hoped for a Captain Riker series on the Titan but I think hes a little long in the tooth for that show and at this point he should be Admiral Riker. A new crew of the Enterprise-E would be nice too. I dont know why the ships have to be constantly destroyed. The original 1701 had 2 Captains prior to Kirk. I love that Gene wanted to give the ship history.
I've suggested an animated Titan series before, and I think it could work. It would be a nice way to showcase the ship's diverse crew, and the original actors (Frakes, Sirtis) could still be part of it.

Aside from these ideas, I'd love to see a series with an Andorian captain, or maybe a series featuring a captain whom we've met before (like Sam Lavelle from "Lower Decks"), who's risen through the ranks and earned a command of his own after several years of service.

--Sran
Old January 2 2014, 12:36 AM   #19
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral

Sran wrote: View Post
Uh, oh...
Exactly.

I may be mistaken, but Will Decker always seemed the type of officer you're describing. There's no reason why a credible way to return him to normal space can't be concocted.
I think an officer *like* Decker might be called for, rather than that actual character, if we're continuing to move Trek forward to after Nemesis (which I would hope we are). Although, if Morgan Bateson has managed to update his training well enough to still have a command during First Contact and beyond, I guess I don't see why that couldn't be true for Decker, too - and it *would* be about bloody time they followed up on V'Ger somewhere, wouldn't it?

I've suggested an animated Titan series before, and I think it could work. It would be a nice way to showcase the ship's diverse crew, and the original actors (Frakes, Sirtis) could still be part of it.
Much as I loathe Frakes, I've got to admit I'd watch the heck out of that. I'd prefer it, though, if it were taken seriously and as part of screen canon even though it would be animated, this time, unlike the way TAS was handled.

Aside from these ideas, I'd love to see a series with an Andorian captain, or maybe a series featuring a captain whom we've met before (like Sam Lavelle from "Lower Decks"), who's risen through the ranks and earned a command of his own after several years of service.
The triumphant return of Wil Wheaton to Star Trek as *Captain* Wesley Crusher, perhaps? That would actually be great, I think, if they let Wheaton bring some of his real personality into play.
Old January 2 2014, 02:16 AM   #20
Sran
Commodore

I think an officer *like* Decker might be called for, rather than that actual character, if we're continuing to move Trek forward to after Nemesis (which I would hope we are). Although, if Morgan Bateson has managed to update his training well enough to still have a command during First Contact and beyond, I guess I don't see why that couldn't be true for Decker, too - and it *would* be about bloody time they followed up on V'Ger somewhere, wouldn't it?
I would say so, as those events aren't mentioned anywhere aside from novels, which aren't canon. The V'Ger incident is referenced indirectly by Jaresh-Inyo in "Homefront" when he mentions that there hadn't been a Starfleet Emergency in nearly a century aside from Wolf 359 and the Borg attack. But it's never mentioned by name, which is surprising. In any case, I wouldn't mind seeing Decker in the captain's chair of a new ship. As Stephen Collins is much older than he was at the time of TMP, this might be another avenue for an animated series.

USS Triumphant wrote:
Much as I loathe Frakes, I've got to admit I'd watch the heck out of that. I'd prefer it, though, if it were taken seriously and as part of screen canon even though it would be animated, this time, unlike the way TAS was handled.
I agree. TAS had a few episodes that were worthwhile ("Yesteryear"), but some of them were ridiculous and were impossible to take seriously. I think an animated series could do well if the storylines were sophisticated enough that both adults and children would find them interesting.

--Sran
Old January 2 2014, 05:14 AM   #21
E-DUB
Captain

Hispanic male, from a colony world.
E-DUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2014, 07:51 PM   #22
Paul Weaver
Fleet Captain

I would say so, as those events aren't mentioned anywhere aside from novels, which aren't canon. The V'Ger incident is referenced indirectly by Jaresh-Inyo in "Homefront" when he mentions that there hadn't been a Starfleet Emergency in nearly a century aside from Wolf 359 and the Borg attack. But it's never mentioned by name, which is surprising.
Surely the Whale Probe would have been counted.

I agree. TAS had a few episodes that were worthwhile ("Yesteryear"), but some of them were ridiculous and were impossible to take seriously. I think an animated series could do well if the storylines were sophisticated enough that both adults and children would find them interesting.

--Sran
Dr Who did a couple of animated serials recently, including 2 with Tennant. How did they do?
Paul Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2014, 02:31 AM   #23
David.Blue
Lieutenant Commander

I think it all well and good to go after a different demographic as the next Captain--an alien certainly comes to mind and why not a female while we're at it?

But!

Having done that, you need a genuinely interesting and compelling character with a fine actor who'll give it their all in the part. Look at BSG that had several extremely interesting women characters, some of whom at least in theory match a stereotype or two (at first glance). Likewise Doctor Who and Babylon Five as well as Fringe and Game of Thrones as well Dexter. Plenty of fine actresses out there who could carry it off--many of them undiscovered!

One way to approach it (whatever the species or gender) might be to look at an archetype, much as Kirk was vaguely based on Horatio Hornblower while the character Honor Harrington is quite obviously Nelson. Some possibilities:

Aragorn (LOTR) - a lonely, grim natural leader who only reluctantly leads at all.
Cyrano de Bergerac - the utterly brilliant maverick, hiding his melancholy with busy wit, with a dramatic tendency to take all responsibility onto himself.
Pug Henry (Winds of War) - a professional officer with surprisingly lack of self awareness yet a formidable brain, iron will, strict sense of honor and who sees service as the highest value possible.
Old January 3 2014, 04:17 AM   #24
Sran
Commodore

^Your post has got me thinking about archetypes that haven't yet been filled by Trek captains. I'd be interested in meeting a captain who's fallen somewhat out of favor with Starfleet, perhaps someone who broke too many rules or was involved in a serious incident at his previous posting that led to his being reassigned and promoted not because of merit but because no other commanding officer would have him as an XO.

Perhaps this captain's own first officer is a rising star who was passed over for command due to a lack of experience and resents working under an officer with several black marks on his record. What might their relationship be like?

I stand by my wish to see an Andorian character play a pivotal role in the next TV series. Shran was a great character for Enterprise, but it would see the time is right to feature on of the Federation's founding members on a regular basis.

--Sran
Old January 3 2014, 04:24 AM   #25
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral

^Your post has got me thinking about archetypes that haven't yet been filled by Trek captains. I'd be interested in meeting a captain who's fallen somewhat out of favor with Starfleet, perhaps someone who broke too many rules or was involved in a serious incident at his previous posting that led to his being reassigned and promoted not because of merit but because no other commanding officer would have him as an XO.
Generally speaking, you don't get promoted to Captain because no one thinks you'd be a competent XO - that Captain slot would get filled by a proven *good* XO, and you would probably get drummed out of the fleet or requested not to reenlist at your next re-up.

Unless.... it was right after a war or another event that managed to thin the ranks, and the ship you're given captaincy of is some minor, non-critical vessel. A tug or a courier or something. And then somehow events propel this ship into being a hero ship, somehow.
Old January 3 2014, 03:27 PM   #26
Sran
Commodore

Unless.... it was right after a war or another event that managed to thin the ranks, and the ship you're given captaincy of is some minor, non-critical vessel. A tug or a courier or something. And then somehow events propel this ship into being a hero ship, somehow.
This is what I was thinking. Being given command of an obscure vessel that's assigned to a remote area of Federation space makes sense. Or perhaps being given an assignment that's appropriate for captain's rank but doesn't entail significant responsibility (a paper-pusher on Farius Prime, for instance).

--Sran
Old January 3 2014, 10:48 PM   #27
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

I'd like either an Andorian zhen or a gay human male as the next Captain.
Old January 3 2014, 11:06 PM   #28
urbandefault
Captain

Just thinking, if you start out by demanding that characters be defined by gender or orientation, or some other narrow definition, the character and the show will fail. People are not defined by what they are, but who they are.

Things like whether a character has an innie or outie, or likes girls or boys or both, or has antennae or tentacles, are inconsequential. What is it about the character that an audience can relate to? Humor, valor, resilience, grace under fire, etc. These are character traits that attract me. Establish that, and then if there's time maybe explore what made the character who he is today.
urbandefault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2014, 12:31 AM   #29
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
I'd like either an Andorian zhen...
Nothing like making sure the show is cancelled before it ever airs.
Old January 4 2014, 02:16 AM   #30
Sran
Commodore

^Why couldn't a show with an Andorian protagonist work?

--Sran