Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: Rate the tv movie
Excellent 95 83.33%
Above Average 17 14.91%
Average 2 1.75%
Below Average 0 0%
Poor 0 0%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 28 2013, 04:03 PM   #91
Christopher
Writer

Re: An Adventure in Space and Time - Grade and Discuss

I am not Spock wrote: View Post
This was an even better love letter to the show than the 50th anniversary special
Well, "The Day of the Doctor" had to be more than just a "love letter" to the past; it also had to be a resolution and advancement of the arcs of the current series. AAiSaT, by contrast, was able to be more fundamentally about paying tribute to the show's history. So the two had different priorities, doing complementary things rather than trying to do the same thing with different levels of success.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2013, 11:31 PM   #92
Worf2DS9
Writer

I am not Spock wrote: View Post
Excellent. Loved it.

I was most impressed with David Bradley's performance as Hartnell, and Jessica Raine was great as Verity Lambert.
I thought Raine was excellent as well. It had been bugging me why she looked so familiar, then I finally realized she was in "Hide" last season.
+ Full Throttle Space Tales #3: Space Grunts - "Rush"
Worf2DS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2013, 01:46 AM   #93
David.Blue
Lieutenant Commander

I loved it. Honestly, cannot think of a single 'wrong' note.
Old December 7 2013, 08:59 PM   #94
publiusr
Commodore

intrinsical wrote: View Post
I nearly lost it when Hartnell said "I don't want to go". Pretty sure Gatiss intentionally mirrored Tennant's line from The End of Time there.
That got to me as well--along with Smith showing up, in that enigmatic way. Why didn't they show all the rest--well they did that with "Day of" but maybe, like Smith holding his own with Tennant, send up Matt's incarnation as one of the best--after all, he copied Patrick's most of all--and that was Hartnell's immediate successor.

having Hartnell actually fix the time rotor was my favorite bit.

This is Mark Gatiss' best offering in my opinion--and I would like to see more--maybe a behind the scenes tale of each Doctor--with that doctor's actor as played by different people over the years.

For example, I'm very sure that Peter Davison got his feeling hurt replacing Tom Baker, feeling Wesley Crusher kind of hate. I'd like to see his story, as he warmed to his own role over time perhaps, or poor Colin's health.

I'm sure each actor has gone through interesting things over the years...

Last edited by publiusr; December 7 2013 at 09:29 PM.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2013, 09:25 PM   #95
Christopher
Writer

It's occurred to me that the shot of Smith at the end wasn't really meant to represent Hartnell's POV. Smith was standing in for us, the modern audience, looking back at Hartnell from our POV. I mean, this is really a pretty sad movie. Hartnell finally finds a role he loves, a professional family where he feels he belongs, but everyone leaves him and then he gets too ill to continue and they kick him out and his career withers and then he dies young and it's all very sad. So I think that final moment reflected our wish as fans -- and Mark Gatiss's wish as the writer -- that we could go back and communicate with Hartnell and tell him that what he started would leave a legacy stretching forward 50 years and more, and that he would always be remembered and cherished. To let him know, as it were, that there should be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties, because Doctor Who had gone forward in all its beliefs and proven to him that he was not mistaken in his.

Old December 7 2013, 10:49 PM   #96
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

That is a wonderful way to look at it.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2013, 01:16 AM   #97
P0sitr0nic
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to P0sitr0nic

Christopher wrote: View Post
It's occurred to me that the shot of Smith at the end wasn't really meant to represent Hartnell's POV. Smith was standing in for us, the modern audience, looking back at Hartnell from our POV. I mean, this is really a pretty sad movie. Hartnell finally finds a role he loves, a professional family where he feels he belongs, but everyone leaves him and then he gets too ill to continue and they kick him out and his career withers and then he dies young and it's all very sad. So I think that final moment reflected our wish as fans -- and Mark Gatiss's wish as the writer -- that we could go back and communicate with Hartnell and tell him that what he started would leave a legacy stretching forward 50 years and more, and that he would always be remembered and cherished. To let him know, as it were, that there should be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties, because Doctor Who had gone forward in all its beliefs and proven to him that he was not mistaken in his.
Well well well said.
Old December 8 2013, 07:17 AM   #98
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Beautiful way to look at it, Christopher.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2013, 05:46 PM   #99
WillsBabe
Vice Admiral

Excellent. Very effective. My favourite parts were the taking of the publicity shots to denote the passage of time, and how Hartnell's position in them changed. Very nice bit of drama. Sometimes I despair that the BBC can't do it any more. It was nice to be proved wrong.

WillsBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2013, 09:22 AM   #100
Workbee
Commander

Just saw it -- wonderful tribute to the show and the original cast & crew.

Anyone notice that Matt Smith puts his hands on the Tardis console the same way Jon Pertwee did in "Frontier in Space" when he contacted the Time Lords? Wonder if that was intended and whose idea it was.
Old December 22 2013, 12:13 AM   #101
Christopher
Writer

TCM just showed the 1959 Peter Sellers film The Mouse that Roared, in which William Hartnell had a sizeable supporting role. And wouldn't you know it, his character was basically a drill sergeant, the sort of role he was typecast in before the Doctor. Interesting to get to see an example of that phase of Hartnell's career, but I can certainly see why he felt limited by it.

Old January 2 2014, 12:05 AM   #102
MikeS
Fleet Captain

Green Lantern wrote: View Post
Not on Earth sure about that cameo from Matt Smith though. I mean Smith wasn't even born then. And I'm pretty sure William Hartnel never hallucinated Matt Smith being there while filming his regeneration. Plus in a few years time when Capaldi or even the 13th doctor is the current, that will definitely seem outdated. I mean in the long run, there's nothing really special about Smith out of all the doctors.
PorthosShadow wrote: View Post
My only problem with that is given how the series will have a long life at Matt Smith it doesn't feel like a real book end. It would have made more sense to create a montage of all the other actors that would play the Doctor instead of just one or two. Hell, maybe throw Peter Capaldi in there. In other words, pay homage to them all and not just the one currently in the spotlight.
I'm sorry for choosing these two posts as the sentiment was repeated by many through this thread. My question is - after having seen The Time of the Doctor has anyone elses opinion changed on the choice of Smith? Afterall, we now know that Smith actually was a "bookend" - he was the last Doctor of this cycle.

(although I still love Christopher's explanation)
Old January 2 2014, 12:10 AM   #103
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
TCM just showed the 1959 Peter Sellers film The Mouse that Roared, in which William Hartnell had a sizeable supporting role. And wouldn't you know it, his character was basically a drill sergeant, the sort of role he was typecast in before the Doctor. Interesting to get to see an example of that phase of Hartnell's career, but I can certainly see why he felt limited by it.
You can see him in a slightly different role from 1960 - here:

http://youtu.be/MgQ_l40HLPU?t=6m26s
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2014, 12:16 AM   #104
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

MikeS wrote: View Post
Not on Earth sure about that cameo from Matt Smith though. I mean Smith wasn't even born then. And I'm pretty sure William Hartnel never hallucinated Matt Smith being there while filming his regeneration. Plus in a few years time when Capaldi or even the 13th doctor is the current, that will definitely seem outdated. I mean in the long run, there's nothing really special about Smith out of all the doctors.
My only problem with that is given how the series will have a long life at Matt Smith it doesn't feel like a real book end. It would have made more sense to create a montage of all the other actors that would play the Doctor instead of just one or two. Hell, maybe throw Peter Capaldi in there. In other words, pay homage to them all and not just the one currently in the spotlight.
I'm sorry for choosing these two posts as the sentiment was repeated by many through this thread. My question is - after having seen The Time of the Doctor has anyone elses opinion changed on the choice of Smith? Afterall, we now know that Smith actually was a "bookend" - he was the last Doctor of this cycle.

"Good Heavens, So there are 13 of me now, hmmmm?"

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2014, 01:05 AM   #105
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

Sindatur wrote: View Post
MikeS wrote: View Post

"Good Heavens, So there are 13 of me now, hmmmm?"
"so you are my replacements, hmmm? A dandy and a clown. A hobo and a pretty boy. A psycho and a wizard. A pacifist and a warrior. A neurotic and a hyper active. A prepubescent and... Oh, now you look like a real charming gentleman, hmmm?"
Timelord Victorious is online now   Reply With Quote