Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 23 2013, 08:00 PM   #376
publiusr
Commodore

Re: Godzilla 2014: Rumors, Pix and filming

The burning cityscape doen't just evoke the original, but looks like the background of the painting The Triumph of Death

Interesting take here:
http://io9.com/first-ever-godzilla-t...52/@meredithdw:
http://up-ship.com/blog/?p=22615

The whole subtext of Gojira at his Hadean Eon, Cosmic Horror best is: This Planet is Not Yours, Mankind.

Well Spoken.

I have my own theory. There is only one kaiju--not an alien ecology you have to figure out--like how the things eat enough, can walk, etc.

A supernatural explanation adds some menace, after all.

In Revelation, after all, it talks about Death and Hell being cast into the Lake Of Fire.
I thought Hell was the lake of fire. Instead, it is mostly a holding area, seeking who it may devour--the Beast itself.

Therefore, Godzilla is the Hellmouth--that walks
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hellmouth
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2013, 02:31 AM   #377
sojourner
Admiral

Saw the trailer on the big screen before The Hobbit this week. Godzilla looked awesome at that scale. The sound on the trailer was a bit off though. It was better in the one linked in this thread.
Old January 1 2014, 03:53 PM   #378
Captain_Amasov
Captain

New plot details have cropped up thanks to HitFlix.com:

Giant monsters are always a welcome addition to a movie year, and particularly when someone decides to take the genre seriously. Gareth Edwards pulled off a minor miracle with his no-budget movie "Monsters," and this film keeps has in common with that one is the solid emphasis on character over spectacle. Cranston plays a nuclear power expert who is involved in a disastrous incident in Japan that leads to a meltdown of a plant that kills thousands, including his wife. A decade later, his name disgraced, he realizes that a similar accident is about to happen again, and he and his step-kids (Aaron Taylor-Johnson and Elizabeth Olsen) get caught up in what turns out to be a series of giant monsters awakening, including the titular icon. The first trailer for the film was haunting and mysterious, and if Edwards can capture the awe of seeing these beasts walk the earth in his whole film, this might be something very special.
http://www.hitfix.com/galleries/25-m...ies-of-2014#20
Captain_Amasov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2014, 04:12 PM   #379
Christopher
Writer

Ooh, "awakening?" That's promising. As I've said before, given that virtually every prior Godzilla film since 1955 has presented itself as a sequel to the 1954 original (even though they branched off into 7-8 distinct continuities that had only that one film in common), I was hoping this one would somehow be a sequel as well, rather than a completely new origin. So if the nuclear accident has awakened pre-existing kaiju rather than creating them in the first place, that means maybe this could constitute a sequel after all.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2014, 04:17 PM   #380
Captain_Amasov
Captain

I'd guess that Godzilla existed in1954 and was thought destroyed by whatever armed forces fought him back then. Obviously him cropping up again in 2014 is going to be a surprise for many.
Captain_Amasov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2014, 04:44 PM   #381
Christopher
Writer

Captain_Amasov wrote: View Post
I'd guess that Godzilla existed in1954 and was thought destroyed by whatever armed forces fought him back then. Obviously him cropping up again in 2014 is going to be a surprise for many.
Which would be consistent with the continuities of several Godzilla movies, most notably Godzilla vs. Megaguirus and GMK. Others, such as the original Showa-era film sequels and the 2002-3 Mechagodzilla duology, depict a second adult member of the Godzilla species emerging after the original was killed. The '80s/'90s Heisei-era continuity was ambiguous; from what I can tell, the first and third films in that sequence treated it as the original Godzilla returned, but by the final film, it was assumed that it was a second one. (My preferred interpretation was that they initially believed it was the original but eventually figured out, between films, that it was a second.)

The two remaining distinct Japanese continuities are more ambiguous. I'm inclined to put the rather vague Godzilla 2000 continuity in the "regenerated original" category, because it introduces the concept of Godzilla's miraculous regenerative capability which is elaborated on in Megaguirus and GMK (despite those being separate realities), and to put Final Wars in the "second Godzilla" category because it's basically an offshoot of the Showa continuity that diverges before Godzilla's "reform" into a good guy in the '60s.

Based on that plot summary, G2014 could go into either category. If it's a pre-existing kaiju being awakened, it could be the regenerated original or it could be a second member of the same species.

Old January 1 2014, 06:12 PM   #382
DWF
Vice Admiral

The Heisei Godzilla was pretty established to be the Lagos island dinsaur which was mutated by a nuclear bomb test that destroyed the island. However the Godzilla seen in Godzilla Raids Again has a mysterious origin, but clearly there's a connection made between the '54 and '84 versions of the monster.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2014, 08:41 PM   #383
SG-17
Commodore

DWF wrote: View Post
The Heisei Godzilla was pretty established to be the Lagos island dinsaur which was mutated by a nuclear bomb test that destroyed the island. However the Godzilla seen in Godzilla Raids Again has a mysterious origin, but clearly there's a connection made between the '54 and '84 versions of the monster.
In the Heisei films the '54 Godzilla was the Lagos Island dinosaur who was mutated by an H-Bomb test. The Godzilla in the films after Biollante was from the same dinosaur just displaced in time and mutated by nuclear waste. Time travel, even less consistent in the Godzilla films. But that leaves the question of where the Godzilla is from that was in '85 and Biollante.

SG-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2014, 08:50 PM   #384
Goji
Rear Admiral

The Heisei series features at least two separate creatures called Godzilla, not counting the one born from an egg in "Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla". "Godzilla vs. Destroyer" establishes that the '54 Godzilla was killed by the oxygen destroyer in that timeline. We're never told where it came from, except the theories put forth in the original movie.

The second Godzilla is the Lagos Island dinosaur, and Miki Saegusa confirms that the dinosaur is the Godzilla she knew in Biollante, which is clearly the same creature as in the '84 movie since it comes out of the same volcano that that Godzilla fell into.
Goji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2014, 09:40 PM   #385
Christopher
Writer

^Right. Destroyer makes it clear that it's a second Godzilla. This is inconsistent with what G vs. King Ghidorah claimed, and the 1984 film seemed to treat it as the revived original without explanation (at least according to the English subtitles). So there's an inconsistency in the Heisei films. Hence my rationalization (which DWF should be aware of already since I put it forth in the Heisei-films discussion on another BBS we both belong to) that the belief in the early films that it was the original Godzilla was determined to be a mistake by the time Destroyer came around.

There's no "mysterious origin" to the Raids Again creature. In the original film, Godzilla is explained simply as a living fossil, a dinosaur that's survived in the ocean depths for millions of years like the coelacanth. It wasn't created by the nuclear tests in the Marshall Islands, just displaced from its natural feeding grounds and made radioactive. Dr. Yamane speculates at the end of the film that there could be other such creatures out there; after all, if one survived, it's logical there could be more. In Raids Again, Yamane returns in a brief scene to give exposition, and explicitly identifies the new monster as dai-ni no Gojira, "a second Godzilla."

Old January 1 2014, 10:27 PM   #386
DWF
Vice Admiral

I don't see how what's stated in King Ghirdrah is inconsistant with Destroyer, if anything it's the other way around. And yes Dr. Yamane comfirms in Godzilla Raids Again that the creature is a second member of the Godzilla species so it's not the same creature and it became the Showa Godzilla. But in the first movie the theory was that Godzilla was a hybrid creature a connection between land and water dinosaurs but presented no explaination as to how the creatures survived to the present day.

The Heisei Godzilla is the Lagos island dinosaur, remade in the 1991 movie to be more powerful than before, whatever inconsistances that came from the 1991 is hte result of the last two movies of the series not being consistant with events in it.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2014, 07:56 PM   #387
Kai "the spy"
Commodore

New poster:

"Fanwankery is what 21st century pop entertainment's all about."
cooleddie74

Kai "the spy" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2014, 09:10 PM   #388
Redfern
Commodore

Less than 3 months away?!

For some reason I thought it was going to be July or August.

Sincerely,

Bill

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2014, 11:11 PM   #389
Christopher
Writer

If that image is to scale, then going by the height of the Transamerica Pyramid, Godzilla would be nearly 420 meters (1380 feet) tall. That's rather outrageous, since the tallest he's ever been in previous movies was 100 meters. (He started out at 50 meters, was ramped up to 80 in the 1984 reboot, grew to 100 in 1992, and went back to 80 in the 1999 reboot.)

But I guess the poster's exaggerating. In the trailers, he's not towering over the tallest buildings like that, but is short enough that his head can be seen through the windows of one of them. Some rumors and estimates put him at up to 200 meters, while other estimates based on the trailers suggest 120-150 meters.

Old February 21 2014, 01:30 AM   #390
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

150 meters is what I think they're aiming for in the movie itself, consistent with the live action we have.

All posters exaggerate, Into Darkness' had the Vengeance about a mile long and about 50 times bigger than the Enterprise, so yeah.