Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old December 30 2013, 02:29 PM   #61
Lance
Commodore

Re: Romance between Kirk and Carol?

David Marcus is amazing. He helped give birth to a planet.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2013, 05:51 PM   #62
Malaika
Lieutenant Commander

the reboot seems to do everything with switched roles when it comes to Kirk and Spock so following that pattern the one who might end up being a father here could be Spock (and by far it would make more sense since he's the one with an actual relationship here) think about the possibilities of S/U having a kid since he's half vulcan... it would surely cement this reality as a separate thing from the prime verse as well as serving to the franchise a pretext to make future tv-series/movies with another human/vulcan character.

The thing is (and the responses in this topic seems to further confirm that), up this point a romance between Kirk and Carol is taken way too for granted by everyone and knowing Orci et Co chances are that they will either pair her up with someonelse or kill her or imply they will get together only in the end of the trilogy without showing it on screen. I read that their original idea that they couldn't realize in the first movie was to have Carol as Kirk's childhood best friend and JJ joked about the fact that no one will make Kirk settle down because he's the ladies man.
I dunno, this franchise can't give too much space to romance. You see it with the Spock/Uhura one that they hardly have the time for this kind of stuff. The subtlety of their romance works in the specific example because of the characters that are part of it (especially Spock) but I'm not sure that the same subtlety could work with a 100% human romance.

Ru ru, chu wrote: View Post
Carol didn't seem to like Kirk much at all in STID so I would assume that a romance is not likely. Although anything is possible.
well, the way Carol smiled at him in the end and looked at him at the memorial seems to suggest that she likes him now.

I didn't see that much chemistry between them. Indubitably, they played a bit with the fact that people knew that prime K/C were a thing in the other reality so they'd look for clues that they will be in this one too.. but do the writers actually suggest something concrete here?

eta: in the star trek app there is a poll where they ask what's the couple you were rooting for in stid and aside from Spock/Uhura they listed Kirk/Carol AND Bones/Carol.
(funny they didn't put Kirk/Uhura too, then. I mean not saying they were a thing or they ever will but they have more interactions that would usually register on the shippers radar IMO )

Last edited by Malaika; December 30 2013 at 06:04 PM.
Malaika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2013, 10:52 PM   #63
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile

talfe'anhar wrote: View Post
From what I saw of Carol and Bones together, I think it's possible they will pair them up in the next movie. When I saw Spock and Uhura together, I was like, WTF??? But Carol and Bones would be good together.
Well, Bones already has at least one EX-wife. So Carol may not want to become the second...
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Last edited by George Steinbrenner; December 31 2013 at 12:41 AM.
George Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2013, 11:59 PM   #64
urbandefault
Captain

Hopefully the next one will touch on the relationship and the breakup in passing to satisfy the fanbase, and then move on to more interesting things. In other words, show Kirk and Carol fighting and her request for a transfer, and then let it go. We know what happens next.

I think it's time to do something new in this timeline and not revisit old characters and plots.
urbandefault is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2014, 05:55 AM   #65
Keith1701
Rear Admiral

Lance wrote: View Post
I predict she's gonna hook up with Bones instead.
Kirk always gets the girl!!!!!
Keith1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2014, 06:28 AM   #66
Geoff Peterson
Fleet Admiral

Keith1701 wrote: View Post
Lance wrote: View Post
I predict she's gonna hook up with Bones instead.
Kirk always gets the girl!!!!!
Didn't work out that way in the first movie.