Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old January 1 2014, 06:06 AM   #1
Hawkeye_90
Lieutenant

Even number movie rule

So I have seen all the trek movies atleast once most more then three times except 1 and 5..well enough said about 5. I often hear the even number rule for trek movies those are the good ones. I went back and watched tsfs and man it was good, I am not sure if that rule holds water and what people have against Star Trek III? It is a decent film not as good as TWOK but it was good.
Hawkeye_90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2014, 06:18 AM   #2
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

Re: Even number movie rule

Nemesis pretty much put that rule to bed.
Old January 1 2014, 06:21 AM   #3
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

And though original fan opinion may be divided, so did Trek 11, aka Trek 2009.
Peach Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2014, 06:29 AM   #4
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

I have issues with the Abrams approach, but his movies are far more solid and entertaining than TFF, INS, and NEM.

It's also worth pointing out that the actual films haven't used numbers since VI.
Old January 1 2014, 07:12 AM   #5
Dukhat
Commodore

The "even/odd rule" is really non-existent. STIII is my favorite TOS Trek movie. People didn't really start bringing this up until STV.
Old January 1 2014, 09:45 AM   #6
Lance
Commodore

The odd/even thing is nothing but a coincidence. It was always nothing but a coincidence. And, yes, it's practically become an outdated meme now, with the failure of Number 10 ('Nemesis') and the success of Number 11 (the 2009 thing). But still, the so-called "curse" persists in pop culture. So what can you do.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2014, 11:25 AM   #7
Brutal Strudel
Rear Admiral

Location: Here, frozen between time and place, not even the brightest lights escape...

I never bought it. TMP and TWOk are my favorites, I like TSFS, hate TVH and TFF both and I like TUC. The only halfway decent TNG movie was FC. I really liked ST and liked STID almost as much. The odds/even thing holds as much credence as the portrayal of the thoughtful, intense, obsessive, hard-assed and humorous Jim Kirk of TOS as a shallow womanizer.
Old January 1 2014, 11:39 AM   #8
MacLeod
Admiral

Well in the case of TOS films, TWOK, TVH and TUC are usually considered to be the better films of the six TOS movies, with TSFS considered to be th best of the odd numbered films, with TFF and TMP at the bottom. It doesn't mean that they are bad films just not as good as some of the others. At the end of the day we all have different tastes in movies and if you like a movie it doesn't matter if it's odd or even numbered.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2014, 12:01 PM   #9
Lance
Commodore

I just dislike the way it sometimes gets pulled out by people as if it's some kind of lazy trump card that automatically explains everything.

I remember Frakes talking nervously about the 'curse' during production of Insurrection, and I just felt like "Oh come on now, let's not blame things on superstitious nonsense, if the movie's good then it'll be good and if it's bad it'll be bad, but the simple fact that it's the ninth movie has got nothing to do with it".
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2014, 01:57 PM   #10
2takesfrakes
Commodore

Frakes may not have liked the script he was given for INSURRECTION, that's all. I don't think he bought into the odd-even "rule" anymore than I do. The movies I think are great have nothing to do with their numerical order, either. For example, I happen to think SEARCH for SPOCK is wonderful. I love the cinematography. I love how lean the story is. I love how cool it tries to be - and it succeeds, wildly. It changed the course of the franchise and yet ... people repeat absent opinion about it and just by into it, because of this sheepherder mentality so many seem to fall into.
2takesfrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2014, 04:26 PM   #11
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

As I've joked before, TSFS is the Jan Brady of TOS movies. It's a fun movie, but suffers by being the middle sister stuck between its two more popular siblings.

"Khan! Khan! Khan! All I ever hear is Khan!"
Old January 1 2014, 04:31 PM   #12
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

Hawkeye_90 wrote: View Post
So I have seen all the trek movies atleast once most more then three times except 1 and 5..well enough said about 5. I often hear the even number rule for trek movies those are the good ones. I went back and watched tsfs and man it was good, I am not sure if that rule holds water and what people have against Star Trek III? It is a decent film not as good as TWOK but it was good.
Parts of it were good. The reason I didn't like it much is because I didn't like the actress who played Saavik. She was horrible.

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2014, 05:06 PM   #13
Khan 2.0
Commander

if only Kirsty alley had come back as Savvik TSFS wouldve really felt like part II of TWOK. Then shed have done IV and VI which wouldve been such an awesome twist that wouldve totally made sense

but that aside i still consider TSFS 2nd best film of the 12films. Its like the Empire Strikes Back of the Genesis trilogy with abit of a lucas/spielberg feel at times, and really opened up the ST universe in an epic way (really felt like a big budget version of TOS). in no way is it one of the bad ones just to adhere to the nonsensical odd=bad rule

Last edited by Khan 2.0; January 2 2014 at 02:13 PM.
Khan 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2014, 03:09 AM   #14
2takesfrakes
Commodore

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
As I've joked before, TSFS is the Jan Brady of TOS movies. (...) "Khan! Khan! Khan! All I ever hear is Khan!"
I, uh ... I see!

STAR TREK III is the last epic TOS based movie, in my opinion. VOYAGE HOME began this self-referential humour in STAR TREK that still goes on, to this day and I don't like it. I know I'm watching a movie, I don't need reminders, in the middle of it. But STAR TREK III was self-referential in a cool way ... in the right way: Tribbles in the bar, fake planet sets, TOS-styled phaser/tricorder props, etc.. and it's still got legs!
2takesfrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2014, 04:12 AM   #15
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

I'm not sure why, but to me TSFS seemed like a cheap made-for-TV movie, especially when compared to the other films. I suppose the fact that I first saw the film on TV could have something to do with that impression.