Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old December 30 2013, 08:35 PM   #61
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile
Re: NBA Season - 2013-2014

Not sure of what Andrew's plan is here. If he really doesn't want to play basketbll anymore then he could just quit and explain that playing in constant pain, not being able to meet his own expectations on court etc, are all factors. But hanging around but refusing to cooperate is so disrespectful of his teammates, coaches, and to the Cavs' organization and fans.

Maybe he is hoping to be eventually cut, becoming a free agent and seeing if he can catch on with a contender. Other players have engineered exits from teams they don't want to be with, Bynum wouldn't be the first.

Found it interesting that the Heat were mentioned as a possible destination for Andrew. I haven't kept up with the them this season, but I take it this means that the Greg Oden experiment didn't work out. However, with the way the NBA's waiver system now works, the Clips should get a shot at him before the Heat and if so, they will try and keep him for whatever is left of his contract. The Clips appear to be one of those teams who have become so enthralled with certain Lakers players over the years, they'll ignore common sense when they have an opportunity to sign one.
gblews is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2013, 07:31 PM   #62
Neroon
Mod of balance

Apparently there is a story that Cleveland and - here's where you come in gblews - the Lakers are working on a trade of Bynum for Pau Gasol
- Proverbs 12:20
Neroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2013, 07:53 PM   #63
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

If the Lakers do that, they are more subject to sentimentality than I would have thought. Unless Gasol is unable to play, I can't see why you would give up a healthy player for one with considerable risk at this point (even more risk than when Cleveland signed him). I suppose they could be going for the injury exemption to the cap, but it's been a long time since I remembered how that one worked (and seemed to think it wasn't all that good overall).
Old January 1 2014, 02:38 AM   #64
Neroon
Mod of balance

Money. It's all about the contracts, according to the article.

The motivation for the deal is simple: With L.A. trailing the pack of Western Conference playoff contenders, dealing Gasol for Bynum — whose salary is only partially guaranteed — would bring massive savings in salary and luxury tax payments. It’s hard to quantify the Lakers’ potential savings more exactly given that other pieces would have to be involved to make the swap legal by NBA rules, but with the move L.A. would likely be able to slide under the luxury tax line for the first time since 2007.
- Proverbs 12:20
Neroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2014, 05:27 AM   #65
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

Neroon wrote: View Post
Money. It's all about the contracts, according to the article.

The motivation for the deal is simple: With L.A. trailing the pack of Western Conference playoff contenders, dealing Gasol for Bynum — whose salary is only partially guaranteed — would bring massive savings in salary and luxury tax payments. It’s hard to quantify the Lakers’ potential savings more exactly given that other pieces would have to be involved to make the swap legal by NBA rules, but with the move L.A. would likely be able to slide under the luxury tax line for the first time since 2007.
Exactly.

They could trade for Bynum, cut him, and save millions.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2014, 12:35 AM   #66
gblews
Rear Admiral

Looks like the Bynum-Gasol deal won't happen since reports are that the Lakers are trying to sweat the Cavs for more assets in order to take Andrew and give up Pau. Cavs will likely just cut him by Monday and then we'll find out who really wants him.

But barring a last minute miracle, like Pau playing like his old self, he is a goner either by the trade deadline or via free agency after this season. He was a great player for us but has seemed to lose his motivation after the 2010 championship.
Old January 3 2014, 12:53 AM   #67
Alidar Jarok

I have it listed that Bynum is costing the Cavs $12 million. The Lakers are way over the cap so the best they can sign him for is $5 million (and, probably under the new CBA rules, for the $3 million mini mid exception). Given this, the Cavs still have to eat $7-9 million of his contract and won't be able to get under the cap for probably another year.

I don't know. I guess it would depend on what the Lakers really are demanding, but they seem like they're going to be screwed by his salary for the next two years either way.
Old January 3 2014, 03:38 AM   #68
gblews
Rear Admiral

Bynum would only cost the Cavs $12 million if he is on their roster on 1/7. Only $6 million of his salary is guaranteed. The Lakers aren't looking to sign Andrew to a new contract. If the trade were to be completed, they'd cut him by Monday, thereby saving themselves his guaranteed money and Pau's salary. The Lakers would be under the cap after this move.

However, they are going to be under the cap anyway after this season and after letting Pau walk so there isn't any urgency to make this deal. That's why it likely won't happen because if it does, it would have to be on the Lakers' terms.
Old January 3 2014, 05:05 AM   #69
Alidar Jarok

I was talking about if Bynum was cut and signed, rather than traded.

However, if it's only $6 million guaranteed, that would make a lot of sense to cut now rather than try to work out a trade rather than have the rest become guaranteed.
Old January 14 2014, 04:01 PM   #70
Borgminister

The latest craze: Lebroning!
Borgminister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2014, 10:00 PM   #71
gblews
Rear Admiral

Borgminister wrote: View Post
The latest craze: Lebroning!
^^ That is damn funny. Two players flopping on the same play, and as a result of the same "contact". Both should get one of those flop warning letters. Lebron appears to be trying to toss the Pacer player but then changes his mind and decides to flop in mid toss.

Reggie Miller needs to tutor both. That guy was a master of initiating contact, then bouncing off to get the foul call. He used to do this on offense without the ball. And if he didn't get the call, he'd be all over the refs.
Old January 22 2014, 12:53 PM   #72
Wadjda
Lieutenant Commander

gblews wrote: View Post
Looks like the Bynum-Gasol deal won't happen since reports are that the Lakers are trying to sweat the Cavs for more assets in order to take Andrew and give up Pau. Cavs will likely just cut him by Monday and then we'll find out who really wants him.

But barring a last minute miracle, like Pau playing like his old self, he is a goner either by the trade deadline or via free agency after this season. He was a great player for us but has seemed to lose his motivation after the 2010 championship.
Pau in a position that he is comfortable in + Kyrie + Luo Deng....

Would Lebron go back to Cleavlend?
Wadjda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2014, 08:26 PM   #73
gblews
Rear Admiral

DDD...D Unit wrote: View Post

Pau to Cle before the trade deadline, is music to my ears IF the Cav want him badlly enough to give up their 1st rounder this season or maybe 2015. I doubt they want him that badly. Besides, the Cavs can just wait and try to sign him out of free agency this summer.

LeBron back to Cleavland is not at all farfetched. It would complete the circle and somewhat right the "wrong" that occurred a few years ago.
Old January 22 2014, 11:34 PM   #74
Wadjda
Lieutenant Commander

It was plain flat out wrong the way he did it but he had every right to do it.
Wadjda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2014, 12:47 AM   #75
Alidar Jarok

DDD...D Unit wrote: View Post

Pau to Cle before the trade deadline, is music to my ears IF the Cav want him badlly enough to give up their 1st rounder this season or maybe 2015. I doubt they want him that badly. Besides, the Cavs can just wait and try to sign him out of free agency this summer.

LeBron back to Cleavland is not at all farfetched. It would complete the circle and somewhat right the "wrong" that occurred a few years ago.
I doubt they would trade a first rounder in this year's draft because it's apparently a good one and Pau isn't getting any younger. I suppose they could give next year's draft if they can get the salaries to work out (the biggest problem with any Gasol trade).