RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,195
Posts: 5,404,147
Members: 24,758
Currently online: 440
Newest member: Chris-1701

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Time’s Orphan
By: Michelle on Aug 30

September-October Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Aug 29

Lee Passes
By: T'Bonz on Aug 29

Trek Merchandise Sale
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek #39 Villain Revealed
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Trek Big Bang Figures
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old December 31 2013, 11:14 AM   #16
Lance
Fleet Captain
 
Lance's Avatar
 
Location: The Enterprise's Restroom
Re: The Orion Union

Shatinator wrote: View Post
Why wouldn't it be. After all the Ferengi are not part of UFP, but Nog went to Starfleet Academy.
Ensign Ro was already in Starfleet even though Bajor wasn't part of the UFP (at the time). So, being part of the UFP has never really been a requirement for acceptance to Starfleet.

I think that's kind of cool actually. As long as Starfleet Command are satisfied that the applicant isn't a spy for a competing political power, they'd probably accept anyone.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2013, 10:43 PM   #17
Sci
Admiral
 
Sci's Avatar
 
Location: "We hold these truths to be self-evident..."
Re: The Orion Union

Brutal Strudel wrote: View Post
Sci wrote: View Post
Brutal Strudel wrote: View Post
I don't regard those women as Orion. The Orions we've seen have skin a different shade and black hair. They were, quite frankly, much sexier than the Christmas colored cuties in NuTrek.
By that logic, Steve Buscemi must be a different species from Beyonce Knowles.
Not really--Luwazanna Troi is a different species from Rachel Garrett.
All I'm saying is, arguing that a different skin tone, hair color, or level of attractiveness means they must be a different species? It's a little bit silly.
__________________
"Every line of serious work that I have written since 1936 has been written, directly or indirectly, against totalitarianism and for democratic Socialism, as I understand it." - George Orwell, 1946
Sci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2013, 10:49 PM   #18
DEWLine
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Send a message via AIM to DEWLine Send a message via Yahoo to DEWLine
Re: The Orion Union

Agreed, Sci.

Orions can't vary in skin tone? Seriously?

Pull the other one.
__________________
Yours,

Dwight Williams
Illustrator/Writer
DEWLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2014, 12:29 AM   #19
Brutal Strudel
Rear Admiral
 
Brutal Strudel's Avatar
 
Location: Here, frozen between time and place, not even the brightest lights escape...
Re: The Orion Union

If that's what I said, you'd have a point. I never said MUST, I said--because they look like no Orion we've seen before beyond the green skin--that they could be (and I prefer to think are) another race. By your logic, Kermit and Yoda are Orions.

(Sucks when people misrepresent and over-simplify your argument, doesn't it?)
__________________
Once every lifetime, we're swallowed by the whale.

Last edited by Brutal Strudel; January 1 2014 at 12:39 AM.
Brutal Strudel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2014, 12:45 AM   #20
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral
 
Mr. Laser Beam's Avatar
 
Location: The visitor's bullpen
View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: The Orion Union

Sci wrote: View Post
I see no reason why a sovereign Orion polity that meets the other requirements for Federation Membership could not join. If there's, say, an Orion Union and an Orion Republic, and the Orion Union governs its own solar system, is a liberal democracy, protects the natural rights of all its inhabitants, bans slavery and caste-based discrimination, etc., whilst the Orion Republic is a slave-based oligarchy? I see no reason why the Orion Union could not join the Federation while the Orion Republic stays out.
I suppose you're right. I was speaking more towards multiple states that share the same homeworld or system, like the Kes and Prytt in "Attached". Federation law clearly would not allow that. But in the example you just gave (when they control different worlds or systems altogether) I think it would be allowed.
__________________
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2014, 02:13 AM   #21
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.
 
M'Sharak's Avatar
 
Location: Terra Inlandia
Re: The Orion Union

Brutal Strudel wrote: View Post
If that's what I said, you'd have a point. I never said MUST, I said--because they look like no Orion we've seen before beyond the green skin--that they could be (and I prefer to think are) another race. By your logic, Kermit and Yoda are Orions.

(Sucks when people misrepresent and over-simplify your argument, doesn't it?)
Or, perhaps, simply misunderstand the argument? "I don't regard those women as Orion" does seem a rather definite statement, even if it's not exactly the same as saying "They must not be Orions.".
__________________
"Recently my 8 year-old cousin asked me, with a wicked twinkle in his eye, if I'd ever microwaved a banana. I'm terrified to try, but I'm sure whatever happens—splattering, abrupt, radioactive—sounds exactly like an Annie Clark guitar solo."
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2014, 02:37 AM   #22
Therin of Andor
Admiral
 
Therin of Andor's Avatar
 
Location: New Therin Park, Andor (via Australia)
View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: The Orion Union

The male Orions in TAS were a pasty pale blue.
http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Unna...on_captain.jpg
__________________
Thiptho lapth! Ian (Entire post is personal opinion)
The Andor Files @ http://andorfiles.blogspot.com/
http://therinofandor.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Therin of Andor; January 1 2014 at 07:04 AM. Reason: added link to pic
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2014, 06:33 AM   #23
Sindatur
Vice Admiral
 
Sindatur's Avatar
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: The Orion Union

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
The male Orions in TAS were a pasty pale blue.
Must've been Brits. Can't believe they didn't go with Yvonne Craig or Susan Oliver Look-a-likes )
__________________
One Day I hope to be the Man my Cat thinks I am

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2014, 07:02 AM   #24
Therin of Andor
Admiral
 
Therin of Andor's Avatar
 
Location: New Therin Park, Andor (via Australia)
View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: The Orion Union

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Can't believe they didn't go with Yvonne Craig or Susan Oliver Look-a-likes )
That would be Devna:
http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Devna
__________________
Thiptho lapth! Ian (Entire post is personal opinion)
The Andor Files @ http://andorfiles.blogspot.com/
http://therinofandor.blogspot.com/
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2014, 10:30 AM   #25
Brutal Strudel
Rear Admiral
 
Brutal Strudel's Avatar
 
Location: Here, frozen between time and place, not even the brightest lights escape...
Re: The Orion Union

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
Brutal Strudel wrote: View Post
If that's what I said, you'd have a point. I never said MUST, I said--because they look like no Orion we've seen before beyond the green skin--that they could be (and I prefer to think are) another race. By your logic, Kermit and Yoda are Orions.

(Sucks when people misrepresent and over-simplify your argument, doesn't it?)
Or, perhaps, simply misunderstand the argument? "I don't regard those women as Orion" does seem a rather definite statement, even if it's not exactly the same as saying "They must not be Orions.".
True, and thanks for being the voice of reason. I should make it clear: I know they are supposed to be Orion and expect the vast majority of fans to see them as such. I'm just throwing out a friendly--and, I hoped, fun--dissenting view. And, like I said, I see no reason why many Trek humanoids can't have green skin, just as the range of human skin tones is reflected in Bajorans, Vulcans, Klingons etc.
__________________
Once every lifetime, we're swallowed by the whale.

Last edited by Brutal Strudel; January 1 2014 at 12:51 PM.
Brutal Strudel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2014, 04:52 PM   #26
Sandoval
Fleet Captain
 
Sandoval's Avatar
 
Re: The Orion Union

EmoBorg wrote: View Post
I agree. When i was in the army almost a decade ago, i served with muslims.
What relevance is their religion?

Were these Muslims Americans, British, French, Canadian or so on?

Or is this the tiresome confusion that "Muslim" is a racial term encompassing people from certain countries in the Middle East?
__________________
Ⓢ Ⓐ Ⓝ Ⓓ Ⓞ Ⓥ Ⓐ Ⓛ
Sandoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2014, 11:27 PM   #27
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: House of Kang, now with ridges
Re: The Orion Union

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Sindatur wrote: View Post
Can't believe they didn't go with Yvonne Craig or Susan Oliver Look-a-likes )
That would be Devna:
http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Devna
She appears in A Choice of Futures, which I just read. Had no idea/forgotten she was the Orion in "The Time Trap" Though I thought she might be a previously encountered character.
__________________
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:03 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.