Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old December 24 2013, 01:41 AM   #46
Botany Bay
Commodore

Re: TOS Revisited - New Revelations

R.Peeples wrote: View Post
Maurice wrote: View Post
R.Peeples wrote: View Post

Hello, I am Sam Peeples grandson. I know a little/share a little about Sams writing his pilot. My grandmother tells me G. Roddenberry stayed at their home while Sam wrote 'Where No Man Has God Before'. She said G.R.'s pilot was fantasy and that Sam taught G.R. how to write Sci-Fi. She said GR "learned fast". I'm not into Star Trek outside of Sam's pilot and the lastest Trek feature films, so I can't contribute much. I inherited a book that belonged to Sam (GR, The Myth And The Man Behind Star Trek), the author gave it to Sam as a gift. In it the author said that Sam had the [worlds?] largest private collection of Sci Fi magazines and/or books - and that GR photographed many magazine covers to use as research/to a aid in the designing the Enterprise.

Thanks for talking of Sam, that's how I found this forum.
Welcome, R.

HARVEY on here has done a lot of research into GR's papers, so you should Private Message with him to see if he has any info about your grandfather which you might find interesting.

Thank you Maurice, that's exactly what I was hoping--to learn more of Sam and/or how the show was picked up, rejected etc.

Q: I'm curious as to where the Desilu Studio was located (at the time Star Trek was picked up by Desilu). I think this is the current location. http://www.redstudio.com/history

Q: I'm curious as to how envolved Desi or Lucy were in the purchasing or shepherding of the show and pilot/s.

Thank you.
Welcome to the forum, R.Peeples, I hope you enjoy your time here. It's fantastic to have the relative of someone so important to the development of Star Trek on board with us.

Harvey and many others on here will, I am sure, be able to tell you plenty of stories about the early days of Star Trek.

Can I highly recommend a book called Inside Star Trek: The Real Story by Herbert F. Solow and Robert H. Justman. This is the best resource I have seen for information on Desilu Studios involvement with Star Trek, and the history of the first two seasons of the show.

Over the Christmas break I will try to locate my copy and post anything interesting about Sam on here for you.

In 2005 or so, using the maps in the above book, I went to Paramount Studios in Los Angeles on a bit of a pilgrimage to hunt down Desilu studios. It's quite eerie - the street and buildings look perfectly preserved as they would have appeared in the early 60's (or even earlier). From memory, you need to head to the north-west corner of Paramount, near the cemetery. The street you need is called Gower Street.

From memory, I pinpointed the Star Trek writers' offices to somewhere in this building :

"Sometimes I get the feeling the only way we could achieve a STAR TREK segment on budget would be to have 60 minutes of Mr. Spock playing kazoo solo as Captain Kirk holds him in his arms while standing in a telephone booth."
Bob Justman, 1967.
Botany Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2013, 01:54 AM   #47
MauriceNavidad
Vice Admiral

View MauriceNavidad's Twitter Profile

During the TNG era the offices were in the Hart Building. That's where I interviewed Ronald D. Moore.
MauriceNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2013, 02:10 AM   #48
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Everything trek writer related was in Hart. When I pitched at the end of 1990, Robert Wise and Nicholas Meyer both had offices there (that's actually how I got a letter to him, I copied down which office he had), and no, I have no idea why Wise would have had one, unless it was to record a very very long commentary, or if he just had it in perpetuity as a result of TMP.

With respect to Mr. Peeples, has anyone ever seen his outline for STAR TREK II, the one with Saavik as a guy and a polar bear as a crewmember? It's the one where they don't have Khan, the villains are from another dimension, but Spock still dies in it.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2013, 02:50 AM   #49
MauriceNavidad
Vice Admiral

View MauriceNavidad's Twitter Profile

I remember that I also saw Mark Lenard in the Hart offices, just before season 4 production started. What he was doing there, I don't know.
MauriceNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2013, 02:52 AM   #50
Botany Bay
Commodore

Well, let's go with you guys who were there on legitimate business, rather than me who was snooping around outside with a copy of Inside Star Trek, and peeking over fences.

Map, showing Hart, bottom left :

"Sometimes I get the feeling the only way we could achieve a STAR TREK segment on budget would be to have 60 minutes of Mr. Spock playing kazoo solo as Captain Kirk holds him in his arms while standing in a telephone booth."
Bob Justman, 1967.

Last edited by Botany Bay; December 24 2013 at 10:47 AM.
Old December 24 2013, 07:38 PM   #51
Push The Button
Captain

Botany Bay wrote: View Post
Well, let's go with you guys who were there on legitimate business, rather than me who was snooping around outside with a copy of Inside Star Trek, and peeking over fences.

Map, showing Hart, bottom left :

I like that they named one of the buildings for Gene.
Push The Button is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25 2013, 02:04 AM   #52
Lance
Commodore

Mutai Sho-Rin wrote: View Post
3. The Spock/Uhura relationship in the 2009 movie is unmistakably foreshadowed in these eps. Uhura's first scene in Mantrap is her attempt to "make conversation" with Spock. Basically, she's hittin' on him. Same story in Charlie X when she sings to him.
Oh definitely. Although strangely enough it took watching the series after the 2009 movie for me to see it as that, despite it obviously being there all along. And it might be early instalment weirdness, but does Spock seem to react positively to her flirtations in Charlie X, implying that there's something there on his side of it as well?
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25 2013, 12:21 PM   #53
Botany Bay
Commodore

When GR was shopping his Star Trek idea around way back in 1964, his famous elevator pitch was to describe the show as "Wagon Train to the stars".

But where did this come from? Well, according to Harlan Ellison :

...from Sam Peeples. That's what Gene said to me. They were at dinner and Sam Peeples, of course, was a fount of ideas, and Gene said something or other about wanting to do a space show and Sam said, 'Yeah? Why don't you do Wagon Train to the stars?' And when Gene started shopping it around, that's how he presented it.
Found that in Cushman's These are the Voyages (2013, pp. 24-5).
Bob Justman, 1967.
Old December 25 2013, 06:07 PM   #54
Harvey
Admiral

That is not a new claim from Ellison, either. I believe he first credited Peeples with the Wagon Train pitch in his book about The City on the Edge of Forever.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2013, 07:49 AM   #55
mattman8907
Lieutenant Commander

some of my favorite episodes from TOS are A Piece of the Action, The Doomsday Machine, The Enterprise Incident, Space Seed, Mirror, Mirror, The Tholian Web, The Trouble with Tribbles and various others and I gotta admit I don't see the problem with Shatner's acting i think he was a very good actor.
mattman8907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2013, 02:55 PM   #56
Warped9
Admiral

Shatner's acting has been broadly caricatured over the years to the point of ridiculousness. Rarely did I find him perform in that way on TOS, and the few times I noticed it tended to be in third season episodes. "The Lights Of Zetar" comes to mind.
Old January 2 2014, 09:58 PM   #57
Plum
Rear Admiral

@ R. Peeples - I recall that Lucille Ball was instrumental in having Star Trek made. Even that it wouldn't have gone anywhere if it wasn't for her. I don't have a reference (I think I'm remembering an interview with Herb Solow or someone) but I'm pretty sure there wouldn't be a Star Trek if it weren't for her power over the studios. Perhaps someone could point to a reference?
Old January 2 2014, 10:27 PM   #58
Harvey
Admiral

Ball didn't have power over the studios -- she ran the studio (Desilu). By the time Star Trek came about, Desi Arnaz had cashed out, and she was the sole owner of the studio, too.

She didn't have much power over the network (NBC) -- her principal relationship was with CBS -- but that's why she brought people like Herb Solow (who had worked at NBC) onboard.

Old January 2 2014, 10:41 PM   #59
Plum
Rear Admiral

^^^
Oh, yes of course. I was thinking she had some pull over NBC. Thx for that.
Old January 2 2014, 10:48 PM   #60
Harvey
Admiral

Her pull with CBS helped get Mission: Impossible on the air, but it was effectively nullified in regards to Star Trek after Roddenberry and Oscar Katz had a bad meeting with CBS executives.

Roddenberry later claimed that CBS had already decided to go with Lost in Space and were just pumping him for ideas; Solow maintains that Roddenberry was simply bad at presenting himself (although he wasn't at the meeting, since Katz went with Roddenberry without his knowledge, but Solow did have plenty of time in this period to witness Roddenberry's presentation style).