Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

New Trek Puzzles
By: T'Bonz on Oct 15

Star Trek Online: Delta Rising
By: T'Bonz on Oct 15

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

View Poll Results: Will you be getting a PS4 and/or Xbox One ?
I'll get both 10 11.36%
Staying with Playstation (PS3 to PS4) 45 51.14%
Staying with Xbox (360 to One) 12 13.64%
Changing to Playstation (360 to PS4) 21 23.86%
Changing to Xbox (PS3 to One) 0 0%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 11 2013, 02:45 PM   #211
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Re: Will you be getting a PS4 or an Xbox One ?

Yoda wrote: View Post
And the PS3 controller is awful. C'mon. Everyone knows that
It is, but this $7 kit helps a lot.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2013, 03:22 PM   #212
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
The Wii U. Well, at least for another month or two Nintendo does technically have the console crown.
Maybe in the US, I'm not sure about Europe. The Xbox One outsold all the Wii Us sold in the UK in a single week, and the PS4 managed it in a single day.

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
The couple times I've tried to play XBOX, I didn't like the feel of the controller. I prefer the PS3 controller. What's irrational about that?
I don't know, that sounds fairly dodgy to me. I would certainly have doubts about getting in a car if you were driving.
Old December 11 2013, 06:17 PM   #213
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

Yoda wrote: View Post
Kelthaz wrote: View Post
I don't like consoles, PCs, or handhelds. I like games. I find games that I want to play and then I buy the required systems to play those games. The idea of identifying yourself as a *insert system here* gamer is baffling to me.
That's kind of funny, no offense, but you usually come off as a bit of a 'retro gaming hipster' to me
Nah, I like retro games, but I like modern games too. I'm just not interested in either Sony or Microsoft's console or the type of games that make those systems popular. Most gaming conversation these days is about the Xbox One and PS4, so I come across as if I hate everything new. That's not the case. I'm a huge fan of the 3DS, Vita, Wii U, and PC.

Also, the PS3 controller is amazing. Best controller ever.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2013, 07:10 PM   #214
Korob
The Revd's Oldman

View Korob's Twitter Profile

PS4 controller is far better than the PS3 controller but it took me a long time to get used to the PS3 controller, I far preferred the Xbox 360 controller.
Old December 12 2013, 08:17 PM   #215
AlphaMan
Rear Admiral

PS3 was my console of choice in the last generation due to Blu-ray initially, but I grew to love its exclusives like God of War, Uncharted, Last of Us and Resistance. I eventually bought a 360 for Mass Effect and Left 4 Dead, but was unimpressed with Halo and Gears. I later bought Skyrim in 360 since there were issues on the PS3 version and I have to admit that the 360 controller was miles ahead if the PS3's.

After holding both the PS4 & XO's controller, I think I prefer the PS4's at the moment.
AlphaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2013, 12:18 AM   #216
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

I bought all three last gen but the only exclusives for 360 I actually played were ME1 and Tales of Vesperia. ME1 later came out on PS3, and there's no chance of any Japanese RPG being an XBox One exclusive.

For me, hardware differences aside, it's all about games. If all the XBox One exclusives are going to be shooters and cinematography driven adventure games, I see no chance of me getting all three this time around.

Wii U, of course, has all the Mario games, and Nintendo has a good relationship with Sega who owns Atlus who made or at least localized most of my favorite games from the last several years. Mario games and SMT x Fire Emblem are enough to make me buy the system.

Oh how I'd love to see the headline: "Atlus announces Valkyria Chronicles 4 for the Wii U". That'd be my wet dream video game headline of the year.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2013, 05:53 PM   #217
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

For those who are interested, here are the North American sales for November 2013. NPD doesn't always give accurate numbers, but Neogaf members have done some calculations to figure out the Wii U and Vita sales. No clue on the PS3.

PlayStation 4: ???? (More than 1 million.)
Xbox One: 909,132
3DS: 770K (Estimate)
Xbox 360: 647K
PS3: ????
Wii U: 220K
Vita: ???? (Less than 75k)

Old December 18 2013, 12:41 AM   #218
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile

Owain Taggart wrote: View Post
when you rent a digitally downloaded movie, it would have an allowed number people in the license, so let's say for example, it allowed 4 people. Then a buddy drops by, and then suddenly you have 5 in the room together which the Kinect can see and says: "Sorry Dave, I can't let you do that!", stopping the movie.
Indeed. I always had an in-built prejudice against any Microsoft software or gear - this just reinforces it. I don't want game consoles actively spying on me. I don't care if they say they won't use it this way NOW. Theoretically they can do so later. Even if the Kinect is not required for all XBox One use (or is it?), it could be required later on. And if that's so, it can spy on users whenever it wants. Who would risk that?

Microsoft says that the Kinect won't spy on you. But why believe them? Think about it.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Last edited by George Steinbrenner; December 18 2013 at 12:59 AM.
George Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2013, 04:15 AM   #219
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

I sure as hell don't. That's why I won't even consider getting an X1 until it becomes available without a Kinnect.
Old December 18 2013, 04:37 AM   #220
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

I'm not worried about the Kinect. I just don't want to pay for it.

Old December 19 2013, 02:57 AM   #221
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Ru ru, chu wrote: View Post
Owain Taggart wrote: View Post
when you rent a digitally downloaded movie, it would have an allowed number people in the license, so let's say for example, it allowed 4 people. Then a buddy drops by, and then suddenly you have 5 in the room together which the Kinect can see and says: "Sorry Dave, I can't let you do that!", stopping the movie.
Indeed. I always had an in-built prejudice against any Microsoft software or gear - this just reinforces it. I don't want game consoles actively spying on me. I don't care if they say they won't use it this way NOW. Theoretically they can do so later. Even if the Kinect is not required for all XBox One use (or is it?), it could be required later on. And if that's so, it can spy on users whenever it wants. Who would risk that?

Microsoft says that the Kinect won't spy on you. But why believe them? Think about it.

Totally. It's currently a sleeping lion just waiting to be woken up. Considering the controversy surrounding their original plans for the Xbox One, I find it hard to trust them on their word that they won't. They have the patent and only they know wether they'll use it or not. But one day, the lion might wake up and open its eyes...
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2013, 04:43 AM   #222
TerragonSix
Lieutenant Commander

Between the two?

I already have my custom PC. It already has better specs and capabilities.

I'll miss the exclusives, but I really don't mind.
At least he fought.
TerragonSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2013, 07:12 AM   #223
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile

"Kinect" is just another word for "Telescreen".
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Last edited by George Steinbrenner; December 19 2013 at 07:24 AM.
George Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2013, 03:32 AM   #224
Aragorn
Admiral

If you're still looking for a console, a bunch of PS4s became in stock on Amazon today. They also have the Xbox One, which has been plentifully available on Best Buy's website for the past week.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2013, 01:53 PM   #225
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

I got to mess around with my brother's Xbox One over Christmas and can't say that I was too impressed with the Kinect. The voice commands worked about 80% of the time, which I had already gathered from the Giant Bomb livestream, but I wasn't prepared for just how wonky the camera stuff is. Some stories:

1) My brother would set up a race in Forza, hand the controller to someone else, and that caused the console to freak out a little as it recognised he wasn't holding the controller any more. If you chose to sign in as a different account, or as a guest, the Forza session would reload and we'd be back to square one. It literally took 20 minutes to set up a race once because we couldn't figure out how to bypass that feature (and my brother refused to turn off the Kinect).

2) When playing a race in Forza once, the Kinect kept thinking I was leaning my head to the left for some inexplicable reason, so the head-tracking feature kept my view pointed out the left window. To look to the centre, I had to lean my head to the right. I had to pause the race and turn that feature off.

3) During a Skype call, the Kinect kept zooming and panning across the room, focusing on the wrong people rather than those who were actually talking. It should have just stayed on a wide shot of the whole room, but nope.

As "futuristic" as some of this stuff may seem, from what I've experienced it's just not as reliable as the boring old ways of doing things. I'm left feeling that even with all the improvements to Kinect, it's still not ready from prime time, at least not for some of these features that are on by default.

That being said, I thought the controller was excellent. It's a slight improvement over the 360 controller, but there wasn't much room to improve there to begin with. The triggers have a nice feel to them, although the rumble in the triggers didn't really stand out, I didn't even notice it until I forced myself to. The sticks are good, the d-pad is an obvious improvement, and I didn't experience the problem some people are having with the bumpers. I haven't used a Dualshock 4 yet so I can't compare, but it has its work cut out for it to top the XBO controller.