New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old December 27 2013, 11:15 PM   #106
Garak
Mr Garak. Today My Name is Mr Garak

Re: Downton Abbey ITV1 22nd September 9pm

Yeah but Mary is good looking and Edith isn't.
Old December 28 2013, 12:54 AM   #107
Gov Kodos
Vice Admiral

Count Zero wrote: View Post
At one point there was a caption saying it was 1923. And it didn't look like Christmas time. I think ball season is probably in spring or summer. So, the possibility is there, especially since Edith will travel to the continent, anyway, and might not be able to resist going for a look herself.
True, I don't suppose a lot of folks would be crazy about paddling around a beach in late December would be a fun outing. I was assuming Christmas because of the show being on at Christmas. Assumptions.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2013, 01:34 AM   #108
Serial thread killer
Rear Admiral

View Serial thread killer's Twitter Profile

Garak wrote: View Post
Some men and women I know think Edith is pretty.
Malcolm on Star Wars: "The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin. His father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his sister. Lego. They're all made of fucking lego."
Serial thread killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2013, 01:36 AM   #109
Gov Kodos
Vice Admiral

Serial thread killer wrote: View Post
Edith is lovely. While the actress who plays Mary is quite pretty, Mary gets uglier with every episode.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2013, 11:10 PM   #110
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Oh, I disagree. Edith is far more attractive to me than Mary.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2013, 11:22 PM   #111
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Listen here you colonial and foreign types, it's series 4 - what-ho.

:-)
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2014, 12:00 AM   #112
gturner
Admiral

I just watched the series so far and I have some questions.

During winter scenes the Granthams almost invariably have fires in the fireplaces, but never once does any servant carry any firewood down the halls, chop wood, or stack wood. Are British fireplaces somehow loaded automatically from the rear, or perhaps is the manor equipped with fake natural-gas fireplaces?

Also, nobody ever seems to clean up the dishes after a meal, or wash dishes. All the staff does is cook and serve. Are the clean-up duties outsourced to low-bid Indian contractors?

Finally, where do they get the petrol for their cars? There doesn't seem to be any filling stations anywhere.
gturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2014, 12:34 AM   #113
Relayer1
Commodore

The used plates (along with surplus poor people) are burned both in the fireplaces and to power the cars...
Old February 5 2014, 12:51 AM   #114
gturner
Admiral

Old February 5 2014, 02:24 AM   #115
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

Gov Kodos wrote: View Post
Serial thread killer wrote: View Post
Edith is lovely. While the actress who plays Mary is quite pretty, Mary gets uglier with every episode.
I think Edith is very attractive and has grown as a person. I can't imagine the Edith of series 4 sending the letter that she did in series 1.

Mary is more conventionally pretty and a less appealing person. But I don't see her personality as getting progressively uglier. I think she was at her worst before she finally decided to marry Matthew; he was a good influence on her. And although she's lost (at least temporarily) much of the softness he inspired, I don't think she's back to where she started. With one exception: when she was considering reporting Bates. That was both ugly and bizarre.

The first few episodes of this series were pretty depressing. So much sadness. If I'd been watching on scheduled TV, I might've given up. But I was binge-watching, so things improved quickly, and I ended up really enjoying.
Tora Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2014, 02:34 AM   #116
Yoda
Rear Admiral

Edith vs Mary? Eff that. The sister that caught "Shamrock Fever" or bust.
Old February 5 2014, 06:17 AM   #117
gturner
Admiral

She ran off an married her chauffeur. Obviously she lacked something in the breeding department. I wouldn't be surprised if her real father was some immigrant gardener.
Old February 5 2014, 06:40 AM   #118
Yoda
Rear Admiral

I dunno you been watching the show? That chauffeur seems way more competent at running Downton than the dad from Alias.
Old February 5 2014, 03:52 PM   #119
J.T.B.
Commodore

gturner wrote: View Post
During winter scenes the Granthams almost invariably have fires in the fireplaces, but never once does any servant carry any firewood down the halls, chop wood, or stack wood. Are British fireplaces somehow loaded automatically from the rear, or perhaps is the manor equipped with fake natural-gas fireplaces?
Wasn't Daisy shown making a fire early on? Or was she hauling ashes? Anyway, it was preferred for servants to be somewhat invisible; all the work was supposed to be done when The Family wasn't around. Some houses even had hidey-holes placed throughout the halls for servants to duck into if their superiors approached.

Finally, where do they get the petrol for their cars? There doesn't seem to be any filling stations anywhere.
My guess is the estate had its own fueling tank(s), filled by a supplier, but I don't know.
J.T.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2014, 03:57 PM   #120
Kirby
Rear Admiral

View Kirby's Twitter Profile

J.T.B. wrote: View Post
gturner wrote: View Post
Wasn't Daisy shown making a fire early on?

I think it was one of the first scenes in the very first episode. It was early morning and Daisy was admonished because it was getting late and she might be seen by a member of the family.