Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old December 28 2013, 09:50 PM   #1
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral

Captain of the next Trek series

How about a woman as Captain? That hasn't been done before as the lead of a series, has it? I mean, there was that one series that had some woman who liked to sit in her quarters and sulk for months on end and that was addicted to holodeck romances, but I mean an ACTUAL woman being an ACTUAL captain.

Old December 28 2013, 09:57 PM   #2
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Re: Captain of the next Trek series

Admiral Alynna Nechayev as a young (and probably hot) thirty something woman, a new Captain on her way up.

Even then a ball breaker.

Set it about twenty-five years before TNG.

T'Girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2013, 10:02 PM   #3
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral

I prefer to go forward to times we haven't seen, rather than backward, but aside from that, I like the way you think.
Old December 29 2013, 12:45 AM   #4
surak-toc
Commander

a woman captain yes, but what species, Vulcan, cardasian, bajoran maybe
surak-toc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2013, 01:14 AM   #5
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral

surak-toc wrote: View Post
a woman captain yes, but what species, Vulcan, cardasian, bajoran maybe
Human. As much as I and much of the rest of the fandom might totally love a show with an alien captain, to appeal to the mass audience, I think the main character needs to be human so they can identify well with them. The only way it works otherwise is if one of the other characters is the main human "me-in-the-show" character, like if the main cast were below-decks crew and the bridge crew were seen more rarely - which is something else we haven't had and probably won't, even though some of us would find it interesting.
Old December 29 2013, 02:55 AM   #6
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Might as well go with a transsexual, Klingon/Tholian mix. That way we cover all the bases...
Old December 29 2013, 11:47 AM   #7
Count
Lieutenant Commander

I think whatever the gender is, we really need to see the true Starfleet officer appear as the next captain.

Sure we've had the tactician (sisko), the cowboy (kirk), the diplomat (picard), the lunatic (janeway), the bumbling fool (archer) but the one thing we've never actually seen but always heard about is the Clever Starfleet officer.

Supposedly, the best and the brightest graduate from the academy, and the very top are the ones who get the good postings, so why is it that we've never seen an officer who can simply outwit his opponents or negotiate an agreement with nothing but guile and personality alone? No weapons, no equipment, no plan and still come out on top?

Sure in limited ways we've seen Picard pull this off, or Janeway stumble through blindly until it appears she did something smart, but we've never actually seen a clever Starfleet officer, let alone a captain. I don't want to say it simply to have a crossover reference, but we really need a Dr Who like "The Doctor" character to be lead captain on the next trek series and not just have someone who's able to scheme their way to a solution not be crossed off as a racial stereotype like the Ferengi or the Romulans. Intelligence is not a sign of nefarious intention.
Count is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2013, 09:26 PM   #8
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Count wrote: View Post
so why is it that we've never seen an officer who can simply outwit his opponents or negotiate an agreement with nothing but guile and personality alone? No weapons, no equipment, no plan and still come out on top?
That's a description of Kirk.

T'Girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2013, 10:32 PM   #9
Dantrek
Ensign

As long as its in the prime universe I would be happy. I had hoped for a Captain Riker series on the Titan but I think hes a little long in the tooth for that show and at this point he should be Admiral Riker. A new crew of the Enterprise-E would be nice too. I dont know why the ships have to be constantly destroyed. The original 1701 had 2 Captains prior to Kirk. I love that Gene wanted to give the ship history.
Dantrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2013, 01:20 AM   #10
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

Dantrek wrote: View Post
I love that Gene wanted to give the ship history.
I think his primary interest was in saving money, but it did result in giving the ship some history.
Old December 31 2013, 01:29 AM   #11
Relayer1
Commodore

Parminder Nagra.
Old December 31 2013, 04:34 AM   #12
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Captain Molly O'Brien, with Daddy's competence/skills and Mommy's looks and fiery personality played by Yunjim Kim (Or Captain Yoshi could be cool too, played by Daniel Dae Kim )

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2013, 10:52 AM   #13
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Dantrek wrote: View Post
As long as its in the prime universe I would be happy. I had hoped for a Captain Riker series on the Titan but I think hes a little long in the tooth for that show and at this point he should be Admiral Riker. A new crew of the Enterprise-E would be nice too. I dont know why the ships have to be constantly destroyed. The original 1701 had 2 Captains prior to Kirk. I love that Gene wanted to give the ship history.
I always kind of imagined that the Enterprise-B was perhaps in service longer than any other starship with the name and had four or five different captains and crews during her time. I also think she was decommissioned rather than destroyed.

But I do think that if Trek returns to TV, it will be with a brand-new ship (with all the latest new technology) unless there's really a conscious effort by its creator(s) for the ship to have some history.

In hindsight, though, if the next ship is the Enterprise and continues the NCC-1701 lineage forward, her history will be all the previous ships with the same name and number. From a certain point of view, every Enterprise that has borne the NCC-1701 registry might be considered the same vessel, continuing a history that began with Kirk's ship.
Old December 31 2013, 02:05 PM   #14
dauntless
Lieutenant

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
Parminder Nagra.
Or Bruce Campbell.
dauntless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2013, 02:12 PM   #15
urbandefault
Captain