RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,164
Posts: 5,402,973
Members: 24,753
Currently online: 439
Newest member: kev404

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Time’s Orphan
By: Michelle on Aug 30

September-October Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Aug 29

Lee Passes
By: T'Bonz on Aug 29

Trek Merchandise Sale
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek #39 Villain Revealed
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Trek Big Bang Figures
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old December 28 2013, 02:36 AM   #31
borgboy
Fleet Captain
 
borgboy's Avatar
 
Re: Romance between Kirk and Carol?

Carol would be crazy, and immoral, to impregnate herself with Kirk's DNA without his knowledge or consent.
If anybody has to get pregnant, I'd rather it be Uhura than Carol. I guess as long as Carol took her fetus and left that would be ok.
__________________
Resistance is futile
borgboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2013, 02:40 AM   #32
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral
 
Mr. Laser Beam's Avatar
 
Location: The visitor's bullpen
View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: Romance between Kirk and Carol?

teacake wrote: View Post
she thinks she better establish herself around this man, probably because he makes just a little bit weak and that is scary.
I never got that impression from nuCarol. She just seemed that she didn't want anything to do with Kirk, and did not care what he thought of her. Even if this version of Kirk had the hots for Carol, there's absolutely no indication she did, or would ever, return his affections.

And yes, I am aware that quite a few real life (and also fictional) love affairs start off that way. But we can't assume that the Abrams counterparts of Kirk and Carol will end up anywhere near like their original versions will. People only think these versions of Carol and Kirk will get together because their originals did. But why should anyone assume that?
__________________
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2013, 02:45 AM   #33
borgboy
Fleet Captain
 
borgboy's Avatar
 
Re: Romance between Kirk and Carol?

Original Carol seemed to get along just fine without Kirk. She seemed like a dynamic woman at the top of her field, her child raised and off to a good start in life, and she didn't seem to have any interest in resuming her past relationship with Kirk. So it's true to the history of the character that she's not all that interested in a relationship with Kirk.
__________________
Resistance is futile
borgboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2013, 12:25 PM   #34
teacake
Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Romance between Kirk and Carol?

Rķu rķu, chķu wrote: View Post
People only think these versions of Carol and Kirk will get together because their originals did. But why should anyone assume that?
Because they have chemistry and if even Prime Spock can toss the word destiny around then they certainly have a better chance of getting together than Carol and some random. And yes all that bickering is chemistry.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2013, 04:41 PM   #35
borgboy
Fleet Captain
 
borgboy's Avatar
 
Re: Romance between Kirk and Carol?

If you say so teacake. I didn't feel any chemistry with them at all. I found their interactions genreally unpleasant to creepy.
__________________
Resistance is futile
borgboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2013, 05:19 PM   #36
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral
 
Mr. Laser Beam's Avatar
 
Location: The visitor's bullpen
View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: Romance between Kirk and Carol?

I also didn't think this version of Kirk and Carol had any chemistry either. Again, people are subconsciously 'thinking' that they do simply because the originals did. Everybody heard the name 'Carol Marcus' and thought OMFG DAVID!!! But just as nobody ever saw Spock/Uhura coming, nobody can know where this is going either.
__________________
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2013, 05:27 PM   #37
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: House of Kang, now with ridges
Re: Romance between Kirk and Carol?

borgboy wrote: View Post
If you say so teacake. I didn't feel any chemistry with them at all. I found their interactions genreally unpleasant to creepy.
unpleasant to creepy? Came across as typical movie boy-girl banter to me.
__________________
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2013, 11:51 PM   #38
teacake
Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Romance between Kirk and Carol?

Rķu rķu, chķu wrote: View Post
I also didn't think this version of Kirk and Carol had any chemistry either. Again, people are subconsciously 'thinking' that they do simply because the originals did. Everybody heard the name 'Carol Marcus' and thought OMFG DAVID!!! But just as nobody ever saw Spock/Uhura coming, nobody can know where this is going either.
I am not "subconsciously thinking" I am actually thinking and looking at the character interchange, which as a few people have mentioned is classic movie boy/girl stuff. If Carol had been named Linda Peabody everyone would STILL be making threads about whether they were going to get together because of the typical stuff we saw in XII that points that way.

Also, let's not forget who we are talking about here as far as attraction goes. Captain James. T. Kirk. A force of attraction that only physics could attempt to explain.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2013, 12:10 AM   #39
iguana_tonante
Admiral
 
iguana_tonante's Avatar
 
Location: Italy, EU
Re: Romance between Kirk and Carol?

Rķu rķu, chķu wrote: View Post
Carol didn't seem to like Kirk much at all in STID so I would assume that a romance is not likely. Although anything is possible.
You are not very good at reading people, are you?

They were written and acted with a very obvious reciprocal interest. Kirk drools at her, and she titillates him. Not very subtle.
__________________
Scientist. Gentleman. Teacher. Fighter. Lover. Father.
iguana_tonante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2013, 01:19 AM   #40
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral
 
Mr. Laser Beam's Avatar
 
Location: The visitor's bullpen
View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: Romance between Kirk and Carol?

iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
Rķu rķu, chķu wrote: View Post
Carol didn't seem to like Kirk much at all in STID so I would assume that a romance is not likely. Although anything is possible.
You are not very good at reading people, are you?
You're just learning this NOW?

I'm just a literalist, I guess. And you're exactly right: I can't read people well. What llttle I can read, I go by what I see at that time. I'm not good at picking up on "subtext" or "clues" or any of that kind of thing.

iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
Kirk drools at her, and she titillates him. Not very subtle.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure Kirk likes Carol - but I saw no evidence that Carol did, or ever would, return it. I saw a likelihood that Carol would have kicked Kirk in the nards had he not been her commanding officer, but I didn't see any indication that Carol actually liked anything about Kirk.
__________________
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2013, 02:53 AM   #41
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: House of Kang, now with ridges
Re: Romance between Kirk and Carol?

Nah, she was flirting with him.
__________________
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2013, 03:58 AM   #42
teacake
Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Romance between Kirk and Carol?

IT IS KIRK. How the frakk could anyone NOT like him?

By like I mean of course swooning and lust.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2013, 06:34 AM   #43
Gov Kodos
Admiral
 
Gov Kodos's Avatar
 
Location: Gov Kodos Regretably far from Boston
Re: Romance between Kirk and Carol?

teacake wrote: View Post
IT IS KIRK. How the frakk could anyone NOT like him?

By like I mean of course swooning and lust.
Capt Kirk, Capt Jack Harkness, and Mr Spock walk into a room...
__________________
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2013, 08:51 AM   #44
Lance
Fleet Captain
 
Lance's Avatar
 
Location: The Enterprise's Restroom
Re: Romance between Kirk and Carol?

teacake wrote: View Post
I am not "subconsciously thinking" I am actually thinking and looking at the character interchange, which as a few people have mentioned is classic movie boy/girl stuff. If Carol had been named Linda Peabody everyone would STILL be making threads about whether they were going to get together because of the typical stuff we saw in XII that points that way.
Linda Peabody left the ship the same time as Nurse Chapel.

And for the same reason, too.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2013, 10:28 AM   #45
teacake
Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Romance between Kirk and Carol?

Personally I like to believe that Kirk's spawn is everywhere. AND that a romantic super alien transported Miramanee's baby from her womb right before she was stoned to death for sleeping with the great Kirok and grew it in a tube or whatever and we will see this child grown some day.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
carol, kirk, mccoy, romance

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:27 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.