RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,318
Posts: 5,352,479
Members: 24,622
Currently online: 658
Newest member: groucho900

TrekToday headlines

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

True Trek History To Be Penned
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old December 27 2013, 09:57 AM   #1
J. Allen
Best Pony™
 
J. Allen's Avatar
 
Location: United States
Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
Riker's Computer Comment

Hey guys, this has been bugging me all night (and before this, many times over the years), but I swear there was an episode where Riker and Picard(?) were discussing the Enterprise's computer, and Riker, while standing near the Tactical station on the Bridge, says something like "a million K?" referring to the ship's memory capacity.

Does anyone else remember this? I can't seem to find it anywhere, and I checked the really obvious episode (11001001), but it just sticks out in my memory (heh heh) as something that was in an episode. I'm certain I didn't imagine it.

Ideas?
__________________
:: :: ::
Visit Brony Kingdom! Don't ask why, just do it.
:: :: ::
-=- I still wish upon stars -=-
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2013, 11:50 AM   #2
2takesfrakes
Commodore
 
2takesfrakes's Avatar
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Re: Riker's Computer Comment

TNG showed the computer access room in "Evolution" and/or "The Bonding," if I'm not mistaken. So, go back ... relax, with some beer and popcorn ... re-Watch and re-Enjoy 2 well-crafted episodes of the best damn STAR TREK series in the franchise!
__________________
― It Takes Two.™
2takesfrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2013, 09:39 PM   #3
Avro Arrow
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
Re: Riker's Computer Comment

Are you thinking of the scene where Riker is BSing his way through how the computer operates in Rascals?

chakoteya.net wrote:
(at a science station)
RIKER: Computer, release command control this station. Authorisation, Riker Omega three.
COMPUTER: Command functions restored.
RIKER: Okay, Morta. The Enterprise computer system is controlled by three primary main processing cores, cross-linked with a redundant melacortz ramistat. fourteen kiloquad interface modules. The core element is based on an FTL nanoprocessor with twenty five bilateral kelilactirals, with twenty of those being slaved into the primary heisenfram terminal. Now you do know what a bilateral kelilactiral is?
MORTA: Well, of course I do, human. I am not stupid.
RIKER: No, of course not. This is the isopalavial interface which controls the main firomactal drive unit. Don't touch that. You'll blow up the entire firomactal drive.
MORTA: What? Wait. What is a firomactal drive? Just explain it to me.
RIKER: That is the firomactal drive unit. It controls the ramistat core and also keeps the ontarian manifold at forty thousand KRGs.
(and with his other hand he puts sneaky commands into the computer)
RIKER: The firomactal drive is powered by
__________________
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. - Jack Layton
Avro Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2013, 09:46 PM   #4
SpHeRe31459
Captain
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: Riker's Computer Comment

Something like that may have been said in 11001001, but rather quickly the writers (thanks to the science advisor) moved on a "future" [fake] measurement of data storage called "quads" since it was very clear that if they used standard bytes to describe the computers in TNG whatever people thought was a lot of data storage circa 1988 would quickly be considered ridiculously small by the march of progress.
http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Quad

And indeed that's true even within the lifetime of TNG's production, in 1987 the average hard drive size was approx. 20 - 40MB and cost around $1000 and in 1994 that same $1k could get you a 1TB (1,000MB) hard drive.
SpHeRe31459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2013, 11:04 PM   #5
J. Allen
Best Pony™
 
J. Allen's Avatar
 
Location: United States
Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
Re: Riker's Computer Comment

2takesfrakes wrote: View Post
TNG showed the computer access room in "Evolution" and/or "The Bonding," if I'm not mistaken. So, go back ... relax, with some beer and popcorn ... re-Watch and re-Enjoy 2 well-crafted episodes of the best damn STAR TREK series in the franchise!
Well, I watched both episodes, and Riker doesn't say it there. I'm sure he said it, though.

Avro Arrow wrote: View Post
Are you thinking of the scene where Riker is BSing his way through how the computer operates in Rascals?

chakoteya.net wrote:
(at a science station)
RIKER: Computer, release command control this station. Authorisation, Riker Omega three.
COMPUTER: Command functions restored.
RIKER: Okay, Morta. The Enterprise computer system is controlled by three primary main processing cores, cross-linked with a redundant melacortz ramistat. fourteen kiloquad interface modules. The core element is based on an FTL nanoprocessor with twenty five bilateral kelilactirals, with twenty of those being slaved into the primary heisenfram terminal. Now you do know what a bilateral kelilactiral is?
MORTA: Well, of course I do, human. I am not stupid.
RIKER: No, of course not. This is the isopalavial interface which controls the main firomactal drive unit. Don't touch that. You'll blow up the entire firomactal drive.
MORTA: What? Wait. What is a firomactal drive? Just explain it to me.
RIKER: That is the firomactal drive unit. It controls the ramistat core and also keeps the ontarian manifold at forty thousand KRGs.
(and with his other hand he puts sneaky commands into the computer)
RIKER: The firomactal drive is powered by
That's not it, but that was a funny scene. Good ol' Riker BS. It's pure.

SpHeRe31459 wrote: View Post
Something like that may have been said in 11001001, but rather quickly the writers (thanks to the science advisor) moved on a "future" [fake] measurement of data storage called "quads" since it was very clear that if they used standard bytes to describe the computers in TNG whatever people thought was a lot of data storage circa 1988 would quickly be considered ridiculously small by the march of progress.
http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Quad

And indeed that's true even within the lifetime of TNG's production, in 1987 the average hard drive size was approx. 20 - 40MB and cost around $1000 and in 1994 that same $1k could get you a 1TB (1,000MB) hard drive.
Indeed. What started it last night was when "Measure of a Man," Data mentioned that he could process at 60 teraFLOPS, and his brain could hold a maximum of 800 quadrillion bits of information. We have supercomputers that operate far beyond that now, and desktop computers are fast approaching.
__________________
:: :: ::
Visit Brony Kingdom! Don't ask why, just do it.
:: :: ::
-=- I still wish upon stars -=-
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
computer, memory, riker

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:22 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.