Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old December 27 2013, 10:45 PM   #31
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago
Re: Off Topic: Movie Tie-In Editions

I could see you novelizing "Contact".

Clarification: While joking, intention is complimentary. Christopher writes good stuff!
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2013, 10:54 PM   #32
Lonemagpie
Writer

Christopher wrote: View Post
I used to think I'd want to try my hand at novelizations, but Greg's horror stories about the novelization business turned me off of that rather decisively.
I live for the masochism, where writing's concerned.

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2013, 11:01 PM   #33
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

I used to think I'd want to try my hand at novelizations, but Greg's horror stories about the novelization business turned me off of that rather decisively.
More like war stories . . ..

And I still enjoy writing novelizations. It's just that they make for great anecdotes sometimes.

It's like dealing with copyedited manuscripts. You never talk about the good copyediting jobs, the ones that were deft and inobstrusive; you tell horror stories about that one horrible copyedit you got years and years ago . . .
Old December 27 2013, 11:20 PM   #34
Lonemagpie
Writer

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
It's like dealing with copyedited manuscripts. You never talk about the good copyediting jobs, the ones that were deft and inobstrusive; you tell horror stories about that one horrible copyedit you got years and years ago . . .
My freelance copyediting experience is purely in military history publishing, but yeah, this is absolutely true!

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2013, 02:09 AM   #35
Relayer1
Rear Admiral

BobtheGunslinge wrote: View Post
Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
I find it hard to get the point of novelising a movie that's based on a novel...
Well, if it's something like.....The Godfather, where the movie is superior to the book, then it's possible the movie novelization could be superior to the original as well.
IMHO the movie is the best thing ever comitted to celuloid - a perfect storm of direction, script, cast, cinematography and score, but the book is also superb. Just how could a novelisation improve on the novel, especially when almost all of the film is in the book ?

You'd just be leaving loads out...
Old December 28 2013, 03:16 AM   #36
nightwind1
Commodore

DonIago wrote: View Post
I still remember seeing 12 Monkeys for the first time, noticing a blurb promoting a novelization in the closing credits and wondering how the heck they could novelize a movie like that.

And now I've found the novelization online - http://www.amazon.com/12-Monkeys-Eli...rds=12+monkeys

This seems like one case where the novelization couldn't possibly live up to the film.

Then there's Starship Troopers, where they're practically two entirely different stories and I found the book disappointing after having watched the film. Then again, I think the political views Heinlein espouses in the novel aren't to my taste.
Whereas I went into the theater hoping for Heinlein's story, MI-Armor and all, and instead, got a steaming pile of crap.

May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
nightwind1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2013, 05:12 AM   #37
Christopher
Writer

I'm with DonIago -- Starship Troopers isn't what I'd call a good movie (and it cast a bunch of very white actors as the Latino protagonists), but I'm more sympathetic to Verhoeven's biting satire of a fascist state than I am to Heinlein's flimsy arguments in support of one (which basically come down to "It works because I say it works" -- characters argue that the system is good because of the benefits it brings to the people, but there's never any proof that those benefits truly exist, just the ad hoc assertion that they do).

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2013, 06:12 AM   #38
nightwind1
Commodore

I'm with DonIago -- Starship Troopers isn't what I'd call a good movie (and it cast a bunch of very white actors as the Latino protagonists)
Actually, Juan "Johnny" Rico is Filipino, not Latino. At the end of the book, they mention him speaking Tagalog.

May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
nightwind1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2013, 06:15 AM   #39
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

Well thanks Christopher! Nice to hear someone with your writing expertise backing my opinion of a movie!

I think I "love" it because it can be appreciated purely as a popcorn flick, but there's some interesting stuff lurking beneath the surface if one cares to look for it.

The stuff Heinlein espoused just creeped me out.
Old December 28 2013, 06:16 AM   #40
Christopher
Writer

nightwind1 wrote: View Post
I'm with DonIago -- Starship Troopers isn't what I'd call a good movie (and it cast a bunch of very white actors as the Latino protagonists)
Actually, Juan "Johnny" Rico is Filipino, not Latino. At the end of the book, they mention him speaking Tagalog.
Ooh, right, okay. All the more reason to be annoyed with the movie's casting. (Although I am very very thankful for the Dina Meyer shower scene. That's one change I approve of; Dizzy Flores in the book was male and only mentioned in passing.)

Old December 28 2013, 06:27 AM   #41
DonIago
Rear Admiral

Having seen the film before I read the book, the reduced role of the secondary characters was an unwelcome "change" to me as well. IIRC Carl doesn't get much to do in the novel, whereas his role in the film I find enjoyable...especially given the "hey, it's Doogie Howser!" aspect.
Old December 28 2013, 07:56 AM   #42
ronny
Fleet Captain

View ronny's Twitter Profile

BobtheGunslinge wrote: View Post
Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
I find it hard to get the point of novelising a movie that's based on a novel...
Well, if it's something like The Princess Bride, Die Hard or The Godfather, where the movie is superior to the book, then it's possible the movie novelization could be superior to the original as well.
As far as I'm concerned one of the big reasons The Godfather movie is so great is because Coppola knew what to cut out of the book. There are whole sections going on and on about how Sonny's mistress has an oversized vagina and since Sonny is so large he's the only guy that can satisfy her. If I remember right, that's actually one of the closing scenes, her getting an operation from her new gynecologist boyfriend to fix that. My god that was awful.

My Star Trek reading progress.
ronny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2013, 09:48 AM   #43
BobtheGunslinge
Lieutenant

...Go on...

I'd love to hear these horror stories.
BobtheGunslinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2013, 03:09 PM   #44
Christopher
Writer

They're Greg's stories to tell.

Old December 29 2013, 11:09 PM   #45
KRAD
Keith R.A. DeCandido

View KRAD's Twitter Profile

As Greg said, the horror stories are more fun to tell, but I have as many pleasant movie novelizing experiences as horror stories. While it had a compressed timeframe (that wound up being unnecessary, as the movie's release was pushed ahead five months a day after I turned the book in), writing the Serenity novelization was a joy and a privilege, the producers of Darkness Falls were hugely helpful in providing me with backstory and script changes (they even showed me and my editor the changed ending so I could work it in), and for the third Resident Evil movie I got carte blanche to expand on it and bridge the gap between the second and third films and also provide a subplot for a character from the second film who wasn't in the third due to the actor being unavailable.

"Even when you turn your back, you're facing something."
KRAD is offline   Reply With Quote