RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,354
Posts: 5,503,002
Members: 25,121
Currently online: 561
Newest member: MsMarrielle

TrekToday headlines

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old December 27 2013, 09:57 AM   #1
Santa Claus
Believe
 
Santa Claus's Avatar
 
Location: J. Allen's Rooftop
Send a message via ICQ to Santa Claus Send a message via AIM to Santa Claus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Santa Claus Send a message via Yahoo to Santa Claus
Riker's Computer Comment

Hey guys, this has been bugging me all night (and before this, many times over the years), but I swear there was an episode where Riker and Picard(?) were discussing the Enterprise's computer, and Riker, while standing near the Tactical station on the Bridge, says something like "a million K?" referring to the ship's memory capacity.

Does anyone else remember this? I can't seem to find it anywhere, and I checked the really obvious episode (11001001), but it just sticks out in my memory (heh heh) as something that was in an episode. I'm certain I didn't imagine it.

Ideas?
__________________
---------
"I believe... I believe... It's silly, but I believe." - Susan Walker
---------
❄ A Joyful Holiday Season to You All! ❄

Santa Claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2013, 11:50 AM   #2
2takesfrakes
Commodore
 
2takesfrakes's Avatar
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Re: Riker's Computer Comment

TNG showed the computer access room in "Evolution" and/or "The Bonding," if I'm not mistaken. So, go back ... relax, with some beer and popcorn ... re-Watch and re-Enjoy 2 well-crafted episodes of the best damn STAR TREK series in the franchise!
__________________
"― And she brought forth her firstborn Son, and wrapped Him in swaddling clothes, and laid Him in a manger; because there was no room for them in the inn." (Luke 2:7)
2takesfrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2013, 09:39 PM   #3
Avro Arrow
Fleet Captain
 
Avro Arrow's Avatar
 
Location: Secret Arctic Base
Re: Riker's Computer Comment

Are you thinking of the scene where Riker is BSing his way through how the computer operates in Rascals?

chakoteya.net wrote:
(at a science station)
RIKER: Computer, release command control this station. Authorisation, Riker Omega three.
COMPUTER: Command functions restored.
RIKER: Okay, Morta. The Enterprise computer system is controlled by three primary main processing cores, cross-linked with a redundant melacortz ramistat. fourteen kiloquad interface modules. The core element is based on an FTL nanoprocessor with twenty five bilateral kelilactirals, with twenty of those being slaved into the primary heisenfram terminal. Now you do know what a bilateral kelilactiral is?
MORTA: Well, of course I do, human. I am not stupid.
RIKER: No, of course not. This is the isopalavial interface which controls the main firomactal drive unit. Don't touch that. You'll blow up the entire firomactal drive.
MORTA: What? Wait. What is a firomactal drive? Just explain it to me.
RIKER: That is the firomactal drive unit. It controls the ramistat core and also keeps the ontarian manifold at forty thousand KRGs.
(and with his other hand he puts sneaky commands into the computer)
RIKER: The firomactal drive is powered by
__________________
Runtime Exception: Witty signature not generated.
Avro Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2013, 09:46 PM   #4
SpHeRe31459
Captain
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: Riker's Computer Comment

Something like that may have been said in 11001001, but rather quickly the writers (thanks to the science advisor) moved on a "future" [fake] measurement of data storage called "quads" since it was very clear that if they used standard bytes to describe the computers in TNG whatever people thought was a lot of data storage circa 1988 would quickly be considered ridiculously small by the march of progress.
http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Quad

And indeed that's true even within the lifetime of TNG's production, in 1987 the average hard drive size was approx. 20 - 40MB and cost around $1000 and in 1994 that same $1k could get you a 1TB (1,000MB) hard drive.
SpHeRe31459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2013, 11:04 PM   #5
Santa Claus
Believe
 
Santa Claus's Avatar
 
Location: J. Allen's Rooftop
Send a message via ICQ to Santa Claus Send a message via AIM to Santa Claus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Santa Claus Send a message via Yahoo to Santa Claus
Re: Riker's Computer Comment

2takesfrakes wrote: View Post
TNG showed the computer access room in "Evolution" and/or "The Bonding," if I'm not mistaken. So, go back ... relax, with some beer and popcorn ... re-Watch and re-Enjoy 2 well-crafted episodes of the best damn STAR TREK series in the franchise!
Well, I watched both episodes, and Riker doesn't say it there. I'm sure he said it, though.

Avro Arrow wrote: View Post
Are you thinking of the scene where Riker is BSing his way through how the computer operates in Rascals?

chakoteya.net wrote:
(at a science station)
RIKER: Computer, release command control this station. Authorisation, Riker Omega three.
COMPUTER: Command functions restored.
RIKER: Okay, Morta. The Enterprise computer system is controlled by three primary main processing cores, cross-linked with a redundant melacortz ramistat. fourteen kiloquad interface modules. The core element is based on an FTL nanoprocessor with twenty five bilateral kelilactirals, with twenty of those being slaved into the primary heisenfram terminal. Now you do know what a bilateral kelilactiral is?
MORTA: Well, of course I do, human. I am not stupid.
RIKER: No, of course not. This is the isopalavial interface which controls the main firomactal drive unit. Don't touch that. You'll blow up the entire firomactal drive.
MORTA: What? Wait. What is a firomactal drive? Just explain it to me.
RIKER: That is the firomactal drive unit. It controls the ramistat core and also keeps the ontarian manifold at forty thousand KRGs.
(and with his other hand he puts sneaky commands into the computer)
RIKER: The firomactal drive is powered by
That's not it, but that was a funny scene. Good ol' Riker BS. It's pure.

SpHeRe31459 wrote: View Post
Something like that may have been said in 11001001, but rather quickly the writers (thanks to the science advisor) moved on a "future" [fake] measurement of data storage called "quads" since it was very clear that if they used standard bytes to describe the computers in TNG whatever people thought was a lot of data storage circa 1988 would quickly be considered ridiculously small by the march of progress.
http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Quad

And indeed that's true even within the lifetime of TNG's production, in 1987 the average hard drive size was approx. 20 - 40MB and cost around $1000 and in 1994 that same $1k could get you a 1TB (1,000MB) hard drive.
Indeed. What started it last night was when "Measure of a Man," Data mentioned that he could process at 60 teraFLOPS, and his brain could hold a maximum of 800 quadrillion bits of information. We have supercomputers that operate far beyond that now, and desktop computers are fast approaching.
__________________
---------
"I believe... I believe... It's silly, but I believe." - Susan Walker
---------
❄ A Joyful Holiday Season to You All! ❄

Santa Claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
computer, memory, riker

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:39 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.