The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old December 27 2013, 12:38 AM   #16
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Re: Off Topic: Movie Tie-In Editions

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
Never mind, beaten to it.
Feel free to weigh in!
Old December 27 2013, 12:44 AM   #17
Lonemagpie
Writer

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Never mind, beaten to it.
Feel free to weigh in!
Was just saying that The Terminator was the one that springs to mind.

I dunno why there were two, though perhaps the UK publisher wanted a bigger *name* since Hutson was contracted to them for all his books at the time. But he was always a strange choice, being a sex'n'gore horror writer.

I have seen it happen one other time, with the Dr Who TV Movie, but the other novelisation of that was never published. Though it did manage to do a lot of collateral damage in the real world on the way...

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2013, 03:18 AM   #18
BobtheGunslinge
Lieutenant

(Although I know of at least one instance where two separate novelizations were written of the same movie, but neither ever saw print!)
If you say it was a pair of Big Trouble in Little China novelizations they cancelled, things are going to get real.

If you say there was a sequel written and it never saw print, I can't even complete this sentence.
BobtheGunslinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2013, 03:23 AM   #19
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

BobtheGunslinge wrote: View Post
(Although I know of at least one instance where two separate novelizations were written of the same movie, but neither ever saw print!)
If you say it was a pair of Big Trouble in Little China novelizations they cancelled, things are going to get real.

If you say there was a sequel written and it never saw print, I can't even complete this sentence.
Don't worry. I'm going to be vague here, but the movie in question largely disappeared without a trace . . . .
Old December 27 2013, 05:11 AM   #20
JD
Admiral

One of the coolest novelizations of a movie based on a book I've seen was the one for John Carter that I stumbled across at the Wal-Mar where I work when the movie came out. It contains a novelization of the movie by Stuart Moore & the complete text of the original ERB novel. I didn't get it, but I was very tempted to. I have to admit, it would be very interesting to read the two versions back to back and compare them.
Old December 27 2013, 08:31 AM   #21
BobtheGunslinge
Lieutenant

Don't worry. I'm going to be vague here, but the movie in question largely disappeared without a trace . . . .
The Gun in Betty Lou's Handbag?

I still think the original short story for Ender's Game is better than the novelization. The movie was pretty bland, too. A novelization of the movie, however, would bring symmetry back into the universe. (I still wouldn't read it.)

On the other hand, the Pacific Rim novelization was fantastic.
Old December 27 2013, 12:36 PM   #22
Lonemagpie
Writer

I find it hard to get the point of novelising a movie that's based on a novel...

Old December 27 2013, 12:41 PM   #23
TJ Sinclair
Captain

I find it hard to get the point of novelising a movie that's based on a novel...
That all depends on how closely the movie adheres to the source material. A novelization of The Bourne Ultimatum film would have no resemblance to the novel on which the film was based, for example.
Old December 27 2013, 03:07 PM   #24
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

I generally resist that as well, although, yeah, there are some cases where the film/TV show is so different from the original than it almost makes sense. There's a new edition of Dracula (the original novel by Bram Stoker) that has the guy from the new NBC TV series on the cover, but anybody who picks up that book, expecting anything like the TV show is in for a big shock. That's a case where it might have made sense to commission a novelization of the TV show instead. (Too bad Fred Saberhagen is no longer with us.)

But, yeah, I've never really seen the point of hiring, say, David McIntee to rewrite The Island of Doctor Moreau where there's already a perfectly good novel by H.G. Wells.

And from an editorial standpoint, it's frankly easier to slap a new cover on an old book than produce a new book on a crash schedule . . . assuming you can get permission from the studio.

There's another consideration, of course. If you're dealing with a public-domain classic, the studio or publisher may want something they can sell exclusively. The problem with a doing a movie tie-in edition of, say, Dracula or Pride and Prejudice or whatever is that everyone in town can put out their own edition to cash in on a new movie--and there are probably already multiple editions in print. Having the movie cover is a plus, but there's still going to be plenty of competition in the marketplace . . . .

Last edited by Greg Cox; December 27 2013 at 07:14 PM.
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2013, 04:57 PM   #25
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

I still remember seeing 12 Monkeys for the first time, noticing a blurb promoting a novelization in the closing credits and wondering how the heck they could novelize a movie like that.

And now I've found the novelization online - http://www.amazon.com/12-Monkeys-Eli...rds=12+monkeys

This seems like one case where the novelization couldn't possibly live up to the film.

Then there's Starship Troopers, where they're practically two entirely different stories and I found the book disappointing after having watched the film. Then again, I think the political views Heinlein espouses in the novel aren't to my taste.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2013, 05:14 PM   #26
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

One of my favorite examples, which I've mentioned before, is Paul Monette's novelization of Herzog's NOSFERATU THE VAMPYRE, which, when you think about it, is a novel based on a remake of a silent movie based on Dracula by Bram Stoker.

It's actually very well-written, though!

Thank God Universal eventually dropped their plans to remake THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN as a wacky Eddie Murphy comedy. Matheson's original novel is not remotely a comedy, so I honestly wrestled with what I would do if the remake ever happened. Putting the comedy poster on the novel would have bordered on false advertising, but how do you not put out a tie-in edition when there's a big new movie version? As Matheson's editor, didn't I owe it to him to take advantage of any opportunity to sell as many copies as possible?

(I once asked Richard, hypothetically, if he would object to me putting Eddie Murphy on the cover of his book. He sighed, but gave me his blessing.)

Thankfully, I was spared this dilemma when the movie disappeared into Development Hell!
Old December 27 2013, 08:03 PM   #27
BobtheGunslinge
Lieutenant

Well, if it's something like The Princess Bride, Die Hard or The Godfather, where the movie is superior to the book, then it's possible the movie novelization could be superior to the original as well.
Old December 27 2013, 08:11 PM   #28
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

True story: I briefly considered publishing a novelization of BEING JOHN MALKOVICH, but wimped out--mostly because I couldn't even imagine trying to explain the plot of the movie to the sales force. That would have been a challenge to novelize, too. I remember trying to figure out who might be able to pull it off.

Terry Bisson? Howard Waldrop? Peter David?
Old December 27 2013, 10:28 PM   #29
Lonemagpie
Writer

I generally resist that as well, although, yeah, there are some cases where the film/TV show is so different from the original than it almost makes sense. There's a new edition of Dracula (the original novel by Bram Stoker) that has the guy from the new NBC TV series on the cover, but anybody who picks up that book, expecting anything like the TV show is in for a big shock. That's a case where it might have made sense to commission a novelization of the TV show instead. (Too bad Fred Saberhagen is no longer with us.)

But, yeah, I've never really seen the point of hiring, say, David McIntee to rewrite The Island of Doctor Moreau where there's already a perfectly good novel by H.G. Wells.
With such old works, it's probably less of a problem, yeah, especially when it's really just the character or central concept they're using - but then half the time they change the title anyway.

And I'd happy novelise almost anything, just to check off the "novelised something" box, cos I've still never done that!

Old December 27 2013, 10:32 PM   #30
Christopher
Writer

I used to think I'd want to try my hand at novelizations, but Greg's horror stories about the novelization business turned me off of that rather decisively.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote