Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old December 25 2013, 12:30 AM   #31
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
Re: STEAM Winter Sale

The Director's Cut also has better graphics.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25 2013, 01:10 AM   #32
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

clint g wrote: View Post
Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
Damn voting, getting me invested in games and then not winning. Lots of games I'd gladly pay $2 for, but don't want to spend 6. Plus, all these small transactions are starting to add up. At some point, I need to buy the XCOM expansion, which will cost real money.
Yeah I feel the same way. I voted for Dear Esther. Sadly, it didn't win
I voted for that as well. The winning game looks ok, though, although it wasn't my first choice.
Old December 25 2013, 01:18 PM   #33
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Rincewiend wrote: View Post
DE:HE - DE also integrates the dlc into the main game...
...which I already own.

Solstice wrote: View Post
The Director's Cut also has better graphics.
Define "better graphics" because on a PC, graphical fidelity is only really limited (broadly speaking) by the hardware & texture resolutions, and Hi-res texture packs are things most developers put up as a free download. Generally, the only reason the game comes with lower quality textures in the first place is because most AAA games are optimised for consoles.

I know I really shouldn't gripe, not a lot of game developers would even bother to do something like this at all and it's probably too much to expect Squeenix to behave like CD Projekt RED...and yet I can't shake the feeling that they're essentially charging for a patch.

As for the sale, I was tempted by Final Fantasy VII the other day since I never did play any games in the series and I'm curious to see what all the fuss have been about...but I suspect it probably hasn't aged very well looking at the screen shots.

Last edited by Reverend; December 25 2013 at 01:36 PM.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26 2013, 12:56 AM   #34
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

In case anyone hasn't noticed, Left 4 Dead 2 is free on Steam through 10:00 AM PST tomorrow. If you can get Steam to load, anyway: the giveaway seems to have knocked the servers for a loop.
Old December 26 2013, 01:14 AM   #35
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Is that what caused it? You'd think they would have their capacity issues under control by now. It's not as if they don't have time to prepare for these things.
My blog
Old December 26 2013, 05:52 PM   #36
Yoda
Rear Admiral

Been really light on this sale. I think I gifted a copy of Papers, Please, and purchased a copy of Guacamelee for myself. But I have been playing that on my new Vita, it's been fun enough to double dip with the "Gold" edition, and it's cheaper than buying the PlayStation DLC for it I guess. A friend gifted me a copy of Starbound, which was mighty nice of him.

Really only thing I am thinking of grabbing is the XCOM expansion. Seeing if there is a flash sale, otherwise looking to grab it on the final day. Considered the latest Arkham but it will be cheaper in 6 months and I am in no hurry to play it so... Oh and I need that last Civ V expansion that got all the rave reviews, so if that goes on a flash sale I'm in. So I can finally start playing that game

Oh I grabbed Gnomoria for 2 bucks, because hey why not?
Old December 27 2013, 11:17 AM   #37
Rincewiend
Vice Admiral

Picked up Van Helsing today for €5,09...
Looks like a nice diablo/torchlight clone...
Old December 29 2013, 02:07 AM   #38
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

I noticed Toki Tori on sale for 90% off. I was going to buy that, but apparently there's a bundle that includes all 4 of the developer's games. I went with that.

I ended up buying Rush, Edge, Toki Tori, and Toki Tori 2+. I have no idea what the first two games are, but I'm sure they'll be fun. I've always loved puzzle games.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2013, 02:28 AM   #39
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

EDGE is a lot of fun. Imagine Marble Madness but with cubes instead of marbles.
My blog
Old December 29 2013, 05:39 PM   #40
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

A friend gifted me The Cave. So far I've only purchased the season pass for The Wolf Among Us, though I'm currently thinking about Dust: An Elysian Tail and Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2013, 10:55 PM   #41
Isolinear
Lieutenant Commander

Don't think about buying Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons, just DO it!!!! It's a beautiful game. Also, don't miss out on The Swapper. Incredible.
Isolinear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2013, 08:29 PM   #42
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Yeah, been light on this sale too. But then again, I just got a bunch of PS3 games for Christmas.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2013, 03:38 AM   #43
Reverend
Rear Admiral

I still have a backlog of games from the summer and last years' winter sale so I'm being *very* picky this time.

I almost bought 'Remember Me' but then I saw what the DLC was and refused to buy the game on general principle. I mean come on! Improved game mechanics as DLC? There's no way I'm supporting that noise.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2013, 10:32 PM   #44
Toxteth O´Grady
Captain

I bought "Risk of Rain" for $8 and I cannot stop playing it! There's so much to unlock, but what keeps me coming back over and over is the challenge of the game. The more you play, the more you learn which powerups work best with each class. And each enemy has many strengths and weaknesses that you need to figure out.

On top of all that is the randomly generated levels. Since you are only given one life and can't save, it would be tedious to keep replaying the same levels over and over again, knowing exactly where everything is. Changing things around each time you play makes it more interesting.

Based on what I spent on it, "Risk of Rain" might be the most rewarding game I've ever played. I can't recommend it enough.
Toxteth O´Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2014, 02:05 AM   #45
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

X-Com: Enemy Unknown for 75% off. I've been waiting for a sale to pick up this game.

Toxteth O´Grady wrote: View Post
Based on what I spent on it, "Risk of Rain" might be the most rewarding game I've ever played. I can't recommend it enough.
Since you enjoy 2D roguelike platformers you should check out Rogue Legacy. It's an excellent entry in the very tiny genre.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote