Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grading
A+ 35 42.68%
A 28 34.15%
A- 10 12.20%
B+ 6 7.32%
B 2 2.44%
B- 0 0%
C+ 1 1.22%
C 0 0%
C- 0 0%
D 0 0%
F 0 0%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 20 2013, 12:23 AM   #136
Warped9
Admiral

Re: Gravity - Review and Discussion Thread

A nice level headed way to look at this.
Old December 24 2013, 02:56 PM   #137
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

HoHoHod0 wrote: View Post

Also, did anyone else notice it was Apollo 13's Ed Harris as the voice of Mission Control? I thought that was a nice touch.
And not forgetting his role in The Right Stuff.

After a year of high-profile disappointments (for me, anyway), including MOS, Star Trek ID and most recently the second Hobbit movie, finally a movie that lived up to hype and expectations. I can't add much to what's been said other than this film gripped from start to end. There wasn't a wasted moment, much less a wasted scene or sequence.

I think many film makers could learn from the high ratings for this 90 minute film which packed in as many thrills as most 2 - 3 hour films (Peter Jackson, take note). It was a masterclass in brevity, tautness and efficiency. It also helped that it had two of the most watchable lead actors of the last 20 years, even if it's really Bullock's film. But the credit is really with the writers and director for turning out such a tense, gripping and thrill-packed movie. Don't miss.
Old December 24 2013, 10:24 PM   #138
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Question that came to me recently on this movie:

Wouldn't a LOT of things have to go precisely correct for Bullock's escape rocket to settle into a proper rentry corridor as opposed to coming in too steep and burning up or coming in too shallow and skipping?

Last edited by Trekker4747; December 24 2013 at 11:45 PM.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2013, 10:36 PM   #139
Rowan Sjet
Commodore

Probably, but then a lot of things did go precisely wrong for her to end up in that situation so it evens out a bit!
Old December 25 2013, 07:35 AM   #140
BigJake
Rear Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Wouldn't a LOT of things have to go precisely correct for Bullock's escape rocket to settle into a proper rentry corridor as opposed to coming in too steep and burning up or coming in too shallow and skipping?
The whole business of navigating from one object to another in orbit and then improvising a reentry is arm-waving; IRL that kind of maneuver would be impossible even in full contact with thousands of technicians in mission control and without your shuttle being destroyed. But suspending disbelief for part of it makes it possible to suspend for the full ride.
Old December 25 2013, 01:52 PM   #141
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

BigKrampus wrote: View Post
Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
The whole business of navigating from one object to another in orbit and then improvising a reentry is arm-waving; IRL that kind of maneuver would be impossible even in full contact with thousands of technicians in mission control and without your shuttle being destroyed. But suspending disbelief for part of it makes it possible to suspend for the full ride.
It's not that complicated, it's just different. If you know your velocity and position, and know your target's velocity and position, it's a one-formula calculation of your engine boost to get you from A to B.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26 2013, 04:56 AM   #142
BigJake
Rear Admiral

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
If you know your velocity and position, and know your target's velocity and position, it's a one-formula calculation of your engine boost to get you from A to B.
Apparently there are certain complexities involved. I'm just a humble layman, I don't pretend to grokking the details.
Old December 29 2013, 10:31 PM   #143
TheMasterOfOrion
Fleet Captain

Movie of the year for me, some scenes wacky, yes they were a bit ludicrous but this was a great movie. You can say there may be elements of Children of Men, Deep Impact, 2001, Gattaca and other scifi genre films but for me this movie is still unique I haven't really seen one like it before, a really great spectacle to see in the cinema and at 97% this is one of RottenTomatoes highest rated movies
TheMasterOfOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2014, 04:20 AM   #144
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Watched this tonight with the parents on 3D-Blu Ray.

Still a great, great, awesome movie. I just wish it didn't have that one nagging flaw in it that still irks me. (The manner of Clooney's death/sacrifice.) But otherwise a perfect movie. (Well, that and none of the orbiting objects are nowhere near each other in any of the three dimensions.) 3D-Blu Ray of it looked pretty good on the folks' set which is pretty high-end. I borrowed their standard BD to watch the special features of the movie. I've yet to pickup my own copy of the movie yet.

Again, just a fantastic movie that thrilled my parents and they even fell for Clooney's "survival" scene.
Old February 27 2014, 04:29 AM   #145
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

I really loved this movie, but I don't know if I want to pick it up on Blu-ray. I'm afraid that a huge part of what made it such an experience will be lost on the small screen.
Old February 27 2014, 04:38 AM   #146
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile

I never caught it in the theaters, so my only experience has been watching it on my computer screen (21.5" iMac) and I thought the movie played very well both visually and dramatically. I do agree with Trekker about the flaws of the film, but I likewise agree that those flaws weren't enough to take away from how much I enjoyed it. Sandra Bullock really helped me connect with her character on an emotional level ... so by the end, it became pretty powerful for me.
Old February 27 2014, 04:29 PM   #147
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

OdoWanKenobi wrote: View Post
I really loved this movie, but I don't know if I want to pick it up on Blu-ray. I'm afraid that a huge part of what made it such an experience will be lost on the small screen.
For me it wasn't lost, even now watching it on standard BD. Just an amazing film.
Old February 27 2014, 06:31 PM   #148
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Warped9 wrote: View Post
A nice level headed way to look at this.

That was great.

-Tom Clancy
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2014, 03:13 AM   #149
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Watching the scene again where Clooney dies, I think I get what some astronauts/movie makers or whomever were getting at. The argument was that the ropes Bullock were tangled up in had some elasticity in them. So while her and Clooney seemed "stopped" they were still moving, straining against the elasticity in the ropes trying to pull them both back. It couldn't do this because apparently the mass coupled with the inertia of both Bullock and Clooney were too much. Letting go of Clooney reduced the mass-load on the elastic ropes allowing it to pull Bullock back.

I'm still nor sure how much weight this holds when it comes to mass, inertia and all of that in space but it sort of makes sense. One George Clooney plus a space-suit and the MMU would probably be a few hundred pounds. No weight in space, yes, but that's still a good bit of mass especially if its trying to move away from the station.

Pulling Clooney back may not have been capable for Bullock.

I *think* this makes sense but... I dunno. Still seems to me a simple tug would've pulled them both back to the ISS.
Old March 1 2014, 11:58 AM   #150
Runetouch
Lieutenant Commander

A+. One of the best movies of the year.
Runetouch is offline   Reply With Quote