Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old October 12 2011, 10:43 AM   #106
Edit_XYZ
Fleet Captain

Re: The absolute worst captain in Star Trek

Gary Sever wrote: View Post
True, Riker balked a little too much in the beginning, but he got his act in gear fairly soon afterward.
He most definitely did not get his act in gear:
"Riker, on the other hand, was ready to commit treason - by not piloting the shuttle and ending an imminent cardassian attack on the federation - just because he was butthurt due to Jellico bruising his ego."
Edit_XYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2011, 02:17 PM   #107
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Edit_XYZ wrote: View Post
True, Riker balked a little too much in the beginning, but he got his act in gear fairly soon afterward.
He most definitely did not get his act in gear:
"Riker, on the other hand, was ready to commit treason - by not piloting the shuttle and ending an imminent cardassian attack on the federation - just because he was butthurt due to Jellico bruising his ego."
Actually, that's not true at all. What happened was that an equally "butthurt" Jellico had already relieved Riker of his duties prior to the mission even being conceived. Jellico talked to several pilots, but the truth was that Riker was best one for the job. Jellico eventually went to see Riker privately about the mission:
JELLICO: I won't order you to fly this mission. I'm here to ask.
RIKER: Then ask me.
JELLICO: Will you pilot the shuttle, Commander?
RIKER: Yes.
I don't see any indication of treason there. It should also be noted that Jellico had given Riker permission to speak freely.
Old October 12 2011, 07:34 PM   #108
Gary7
Rear Admiral

^ Thank you.

Riker was relieved due to Riker's insistence that Captain Picard should be accorded fair treatment by his captors, but Jellico was all about keeping the mission hush-hush and could care less about him. So much for Starfleet caring about their own, eh? Jellico wouldn't hear of it any longer and confined Riker to quarters. Yeah... a really great captain. NOT.
Old October 12 2011, 11:51 PM   #109
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

^ Thank you.

Riker was relieved due to Riker's insistence that Captain Picard should be accorded fair treatment by his captors, but Jellico was all about keeping the mission hush-hush and could care less about him. So much for Starfleet caring about their own, eh? Jellico wouldn't hear of it any longer and confined Riker to quarters. Yeah... a really great captain. NOT.
You mean the covert ops mission that if confirmed could possibly lead to a war?
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2011, 01:04 AM   #110
Neutral Zone
Captain

For me it's always been Archer, just not a Trek captain.
Neutral Zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2011, 09:56 PM   #111
Newton
Lieutenant Commander

ichab wrote: View Post
Captain "Not until Tuesday" from Generations. What a complete boob.
Seconded. Sure, they wanted to show Kirk's experience but how did that man ever rise to the rank of captain? He was totally incapable of making a decision and couldn't come up with a good idea to save his life. Yet they made him the captain of the Enterprise!
Newton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2011, 10:28 PM   #112
sonak
Vice Admiral

Newton wrote: View Post
Seconded. Sure, they wanted to show Kirk's experience but how did that man ever rise to the rank of captain? He was totally incapable of making a decision and couldn't come up with a good idea to save his life. Yet they made him the captain of the Enterprise!

I interpret that differently. Starfleet gave this man a ship that was totally unprepared for even the most minor of crises, and he was unlucky enough to get hit by a major one.

Who made the call to have this ship go out ill-equipped, under-staffed and partially unarmed?

Doesn't matter if it was a PR trip or not, ships shouldn't go out in those conditions.

The best firefighter can't do squat if you don't give the guy the gear and the hose.
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2013, 06:35 AM   #113
Susanmj
Cadet

Captain Janeway. Sure she had successes, but they were only hers by proxy. If it hadn't been for crew members like Seven of Nine defying her orders and saving everyone they never would have made it back home. She hated her crew, I'm surprised there wasn't a mutiny after the first time she tried to trade ALL their lives for the life of some alien, (and yes I said 'trade' not 'risk'). Even as liberal as Picard was, he would have been shaking his head at some of her crappy decisions, Kirk would have just thrown her in the brig, lol.
Susanmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2013, 07:40 AM   #114
BigKrampus
Rear Admiral

Mr Silver wrote: View Post
ST09 introduced us to strong, calm and competent captains. I think that's one thing TOS purists cannot deny as a good thing.
What are you talking about?

As for my vote for worst series Captain: sorry, it's got to be Archer for my money. I get that he's meant to be a portrayal of someone inventing the paradigm of the Starfleet Captain, but too often he just didn't have believable leadership qualities.
Old December 24 2013, 08:07 AM   #115
YARN
Fleet Captain

Gov Radner wrote: View Post
I thought Riker was a jackass in that episode. Jellico rules.
Compared to some managers I've had? Jellico was a soft touch. It was a crisis and he wasn't in coddle mode. It was like the crew of the hippie-prise met an actual ship captain and freaked out.
YARN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2013, 06:58 PM   #116
Morpheus 02
Commodore

BigKrampus wrote: View Post
Mr Silver wrote: View Post
ST09 introduced us to strong, calm and competent captains. I think that's one thing TOS purists cannot deny as a good thing.
What are you talking about?

As for my vote for worst series Captain: sorry, it's got to be Archer for my money. I get that he's meant to be a portrayal of someone inventing the paradigm of the Starfleet Captain, but too often he just didn't have believable leadership qualities.
He's talking about Robeau and Pike.

With StiD, that solidified my great admiration for Bruce greenwood's Pike -- completely believable as an inspiring leader that would drive Kirk to be the Captain he is

And Robeau...
Morpheus 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2013, 10:16 PM   #117
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

sonak wrote: View Post
Newton wrote: View Post

I interpret that differently. Starfleet gave this man a ship that was totally unprepared for even the most minor of crises, and he was unlucky enough to get hit by a major one.

Who made the call to have this ship go out ill-equipped, under-staffed and partially unarmed?

Doesn't matter if it was a PR trip or not, ships shouldn't go out in those conditions.

The best firefighter can't do squat if you don't give the guy the gear and the hose.
Additionally, it's been well established that Earth is the heart of Starfleet. If so, why is Enterprise-B, docked at home, the only ship in range? Let's talk about incompetent admirals!

~~~~

On a side note, if we're talking about Robau as a good captain, I'll join the chorus. He didn't blink, he didn't cower, he didn't back down. His orders from the start were about saving his crew, and his foresight and sacrifice helped Lt. George Thor Kirk to do just that. It's just really difficult to imagine Styles and Esteban doing the same thing (I'll give Harriman a pass -- I think he'd do it after much, much more hesitation than Robau ever displayed, and after Kirk gives him a pep-talk).
Old December 24 2013, 10:31 PM   #118
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral

Kirk, Picard and Sisko aren't 'Strong, calm and competent'? I suppose Sisko isn't calm...

The worst Captain in Star Trek, there's a lot of single episode captains who qualify. Ransom, for one. That Admiral who took the anti-aging pills started a bloody war when he was Captain.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2013, 11:59 PM   #119
I am not Spock
Commodore

Frankincense + Myrrh wrote: View Post
Oh, I don't know. Portraying Janeway as possibly being psychologically "uneven" makes the character interesting.
I for one liked it whenever Janeway went into 'batshit insane' mode!
Old December 25 2013, 12:03 AM   #120
I am not Spock
Commodore

Most insane captain? That would be Matt Decker, Ransom, Tracey, Maxwell, or Garth of Izar

Worst captain? Of the regulars, I'd say Archer. The guy had no leadership experience, and he screwed up so many first contact situations.

Guest characters, I'd say John Harriman.

Jellico was an asshole, but he wasn't a bad captain. The crew were just unused to an impersonal, subordinate>>superior style of command.