Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old December 22 2013, 01:23 PM   #31
Jeyl
Commodore

Re: "They're just trying to decide whether a twenty year-old Klingon B

Grant wrote: View Post
Wait, so the script starts the movie off with a bang Ent-D vs. a Warbird (which was never done in the series) and then Taylor convinces them to ditch that and they come up with a F-ing BS holodeck scenario----a BORING holodeck scenario!????
Not to mention the fact that a good chunk of the budget was blown on the holodeck scene. They literally made richly detailed costumes for every TNG actor for this one 10 minute scene, but when it came to the actual uniforms that the cast would be wearing throughout the rest of the movie? Nope. Just make a new uniform for Picard and Data and have everyone else "borrow" uniforms from the DS9 cast. LeVar is pretty short so he should fit perfectly in Colm Meaney's uniform!

Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22 2013, 02:12 PM   #32
Shat Happens
Captain

It's funny how everybody hates that stinking movie, but for different reasons.

It's been a while since I watched it, but one interesting part that came to my mind now is how extensively Kirk OWNS Picard -- in The Movie Where The Two Captains Meet At Last.

Picard comes to him with one of his trademarked speeches and he does not give a f*ck. Kirk doesnt stop for a second to listen to him, he makes Picard go after him all around the house, he makes Picard hold his kitchen utensils, he lets Picard talking while he enjoys the eggs, the thoughts about Antonia, the horse riding, he makes Picard ride a horse after him, and when he eventually he decides to go back (bad decision btw), it's not because of all the speech about duty and shit, but because it "sounds like fun". The only part when he bothers to acknowledge Picard is when the latter talks about heroics, and Kirk tells him to shut up because he wrote the book about Star Trek heroics when Grandpa Picard was still in diapers.
Shat Happens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22 2013, 02:33 PM   #33
Jeyl
Commodore

Shat Happens wrote: View Post
It's been a while since I watched it, but one interesting part that came to my mind now is how extensively Kirk OWNS Picard -- in The Movie Where The Two Captains Meet At Last.
SFDebris talks about this in his review and brings up many great points. In the opening, Kirk manages to mount a rescue mission in an unequipped and understaffed ship, rescue 47 people from the doomed ship and sacrifice his life to safe everyone on the Enterprise B.

When we meet Picard, he is late in rescuing all but one survivor on the observatory station who just happens to be the villain, considers allowing said villain back onto the station, manages to lose his Chief Engineer and let Soran escape with the Klingons and grows over confident that his "Federation Flagship" will be able to handle a century's old design Bird of Prey. The ONLY THING that Picard manages to succeed in doing is figuring out where Soran's next target is, which was a mistake because in doing so he basically sent his ship, his crew and all their families to their deaths.

When the trailers showcased this film as a literal "passing on the torch", Picard not only drops it multiple times, he winds up holding the thing upside down in the end.
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2013, 01:57 AM   #34
Lance
Commodore

Yeah, I thought the same thing when I first saw it back in '94. It's like Picard doesn't even matter in his own movie.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2013, 02:33 AM   #35
SpHeRe31459
Captain

Lance wrote: View Post
Yeah, I thought the same thing when I first saw it back in '94. It's like Picard doesn't even matter in his own movie.
I have a feeling that they felt such a need to make Kirk a hero (likely a Shatner ego thing and/or thinking that it would appease TOS fans thing) that Picard took the brunt of it.
SpHeRe31459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2013, 02:35 AM   #36
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral

SpHeRe31459 wrote: View Post
I have a feeling that they felt such a need to make Kirk a hero (likely a Shatner ego thing and/or thinking that it would appease TOS fans thing) that Picard took the brunt of it.
After the way they treated Scotty in "Relics", they damned well better have! Completely ridiculous that the crew would *not* have been in utter awe.
Old December 23 2013, 02:36 AM   #37
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral

<--- but then, maybe I'm biased toward temporally displaced original series era characters.
Old December 23 2013, 05:52 PM   #38
Grant
Fleet Captain

It's funny how everybody hates that stinking movie, but for different reasons.

Picard comes to him with one of his trademarked speeches and he does not give a f*ck. Kirk doesnt stop for a second to listen to him, he makes Picard go after him all around the house, he makes Picard hold his kitchen utensils, he lets Picard talking while he enjoys the eggs, the thoughts about Antonia, the horse riding, he makes Picard ride a horse after him, and when he eventually he decides to go back (bad decision btw), it's not because of all the speech about duty and shit, but because it "sounds like fun". The only part when he bothers to acknowledge Picard is when the latter talks about heroics, and Kirk tells him to shut up because he wrote the book about Star Trek heroics when Grandpa Picard was still in diapers.

Not only that----Kirk/Shatner BURNS Picard/Stewarts hand on the fry pan---by "accident"

Check out when kirk hands the fry pan to Picard------100% certain he burns Picards hand.

Watch Stewart go, "Ahhhh!!" when he touches it.
But congrats to him for not blowing the take!
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2013, 11:33 PM   #39
Shat Happens
Captain

I had to watch it on youtube. You're right! and what a good thing he managed not to cry again.
Shat Happens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2013, 01:14 AM   #40
Grant
Fleet Captain

I had to watch it on youtube. You're right! and what a good thing he managed not to cry again.
"My hand, it was so gentle, so trusting, it's whole life ahead of it and now...scarred, scarred because of this imbecile's odd fantasy, uh huh, huh, huh.......! Oh sh*t did another star just blow up outside my window?"
Old December 24 2013, 01:34 AM   #41
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Oh sh*t did another star just blow up outside my window?"
That made me think of the xmas tree ornaments Picard looks at in the nexus, the ones looking like little novas going off. I always thought they missed a huge marketing op by not selling something like that using some kind of plasma or piezo-electric gimmick. And you could have a whole series in different colors ... "this big blue one is Vega going nova" ... "the corncob colored one is old Sol" ... "the red-light district looking one is Antares" ... possibilities are limitless.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2013, 03:04 AM   #42
Iamnotspock
Captain

Not only that----Kirk/Shatner BURNS Picard/Stewarts hand on the fry pan---by "accident"

Check out when kirk hands the fry pan to Picard------100% certain he burns Picards hand.

It's never occurred to me that that might be a mistake.
Iamnotspock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2013, 05:56 AM   #43
Grant
Fleet Captain

Iamnotspock wrote: View Post

It's never occurred to me that that might be a mistake.
I have no idea what part of it you mean.....

You think Shatner purposely burned Stewart?
You think it was scripted that he burns his hand?

I don't think there is any doubt it was just a very minor thing that probably happened on the best take of a fairly long shot--that they kept because it 'looked real' or because they thought nobody would note.