RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,700
Members: 24,831
Currently online: 502
Newest member: Edtrecke

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 20 2013, 08:26 PM   #16
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Re: Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - Trailers, Discussion, Pics

Praetor_Shinzon wrote: View Post
there hasn't been any talk about a third film yet...but if it makes a lot of money i'm sure they will make another.
And it will be called; Day of the Planet of the Apes.

The fourth will be called; Twlight of the Planet of the Apes.

Then it will be Darkness of the Planet of the Apes.
Old December 20 2013, 11:08 PM   #17
Mutenroshi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mutenroshi

of the of the...

Jack Beauregard: "You shine like the door of a whorehouse!"
Nobody: "I like folks to see me."
Mutenroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2013, 11:51 PM   #18
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Wouldn't a third film pretty much have to be a remake of the original POTA film? Seems kind of inevitable.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2013, 12:03 AM   #19
Gojira
Commodore

Rķu rķu, chķu wrote: View Post
Wouldn't a third film pretty much have to be a remake of the original POTA film? Seems kind of inevitable.
I was saying the same thing on another forum. I don't know if it will be the third film but if they keep going you would think they would eventually have to remake the original.

Part of me would love to see that but then on the other hand the 68 original is such a sci-fi classic part of me wishes they would leave it alone.
Old December 21 2013, 01:32 AM   #20
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

Although, it's interesting in that the original war between apes and humans - which led to the original film as we saw it - apparently did not happen until the 25th or 26th centuries. So perhaps things could go differently this time around.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Old December 21 2013, 06:48 AM   #21
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Also it wouldn't have to be a complete remake. There will be no astronaut going to the future unknowingly. Unless he goes to the future instead of going back in time and stopping the virus.
Old December 21 2013, 07:01 AM   #22
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

^ Wasn't the Icarus mentioned in "Rise"?
Old December 21 2013, 09:21 PM   #23
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

^ Wasn't the Icarus mentioned in "Rise"?
yes.
Saga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22 2013, 04:53 AM   #24
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Even with Easter Eggs like the Icarus, I don't think we should assume that the new movies are literally prequels to the earlier cycle of films, including the original 1968 film.

This is a reboot, with its own continuity and timeline, so they aren't obliged to have Taylor run into Dr. Zaius umpteen centuries from now.

Last edited by Greg Cox; December 22 2013 at 06:41 PM.
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22 2013, 10:25 AM   #25
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

I was pretty meh about Rise. It was a distinct improvement over Tim's effort, but neither touched the epic wow-factor of the original '68 version.

In fairness, that's a high bar that doesn't have to be met, in order for this new series to be successful.

---

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
Praetor_Shinzon wrote: View Post
there hasn't been any talk about a third film yet...but if it makes a lot of money i'm sure they will make another.
And it will be called; Day of the Planet of the Apes.

The fourth will be called; Twlight of the Planet of the Apes.

Then it will be Darkness of the Planet of the Apes.
Planet of the Apes into Darkness?

Night of the Living Planet of the Apes?

Old December 22 2013, 02:44 PM   #26
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

Return of the Rise of the Dark Planet of the Apes of Steel... Into Darkness
Timelord Victorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22 2013, 06:06 PM   #27
Argus Skyhawk
Commodore

A Planet of the Apes Christmas!
Old December 22 2013, 07:01 PM   #28
Gojira
Commodore

Although, it's interesting in that the original war between apes and humans - which led to the original film as we saw it - apparently did not happen until the 25th or 26th centuries. So perhaps things could go differently this time around.
In many ways it would have to be different. One of the aspects of the original was Taylor (and the audience) not knowing he was really back home on Earth. Since they can't repeat that part of the story it does give them creative room to do something new.
Old December 22 2013, 07:14 PM   #29
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

Gojira wrote: View Post
One of the aspects of the original was Taylor (and the audience) not knowing he was really back home on Earth. Since they can't repeat that part of the story it does give them creative room to do something new.
Why can't they repeat it?

I mean, obviously none of us can know exactly what happens in Dawn, but I'm just guessing that there'll still be room for a full-out nuclear conflict (which is what happened in the original).

And even if it's not nuclear: There will be *some* kind of final conflict, we know that much. That's the whole point of all Apes films: to establish a world where apes rule and humans are slaves. We don't know how Dawn will get there, but it's pretty safe to assume it will. It'll do something to humans to make them unable to speak and act like anything other than animals. (I mean, come on, why else use the phrase "Planet of the APES"? ) And thus lead to a reboot of POTA.
Old December 22 2013, 07:45 PM   #30
Gojira
Commodore

Gojira wrote: View Post
One of the aspects of the original was Taylor (and the audience) not knowing he was really back home on Earth. Since they can't repeat that part of the story it does give them creative room to do something new.
Why can't they repeat it?

I mean, obviously none of us can know exactly what happens in Dawn, but I'm just guessing that there'll still be room for a full-out nuclear conflict (which is what happened in the original).

And even if it's not nuclear: There will be *some* kind of final conflict, we know that much. That's the whole point of all Apes films: to establish a world where apes rule and humans are slaves. We don't know how Dawn will get there, but it's pretty safe to assume it will. It'll do something to humans to make them unable to speak and act like anything other than animals. (I mean, come on, why else use the phrase "Planet of the APES"? ) And thus lead to a reboot of POTA.

I would love to see a POTA remake where the apes rule and humans are mutant slaves and cattle. I just don't think the plot element of the astronauts from the Icarus not knowing they have arrived back on earth would work. I don't want to rule it out but I think the film makers might want to add something new. Not sure what that would be though.