RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,665
Members: 24,816
Currently online: 495
Newest member: CapSmith

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 20 2013, 04:55 AM   #61
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Re: X-Men: Apocalypse announced for May 2016

Well, he would be awesome in any role

To be fair, I think if we're talking about someone born in the ancient middle east and lived for thousands of years, I believe they generally go with Liam Neeson.
Old December 20 2013, 05:19 AM   #62
Christopher
Writer

Well, Alex Proyas is making a movie called Gods of Egypt, and playing the Egyptian gods are the likes of Gerard Butler (Scottish), Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (Danish), and Geoffrey Rush (Australian of British/Irish/German ancestry). So there's that.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2013, 05:20 AM   #63
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Liam needs to retire, or get some range.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2013, 10:31 AM   #64
Pauln6
Rear Admiral

In the IDW ongoing comic they are showing Khan's youth with the correct ethnicity so will presumably hand-wave away Cumberbatch's ethnicity as a disguise to protect his identity.

Additionally, Apocalypse sometimes usurps other bodies when his own wears out and he's a shapeshifter so handsome young white dude is more likely than anything else sadly.

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2013, 01:24 PM   #65
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Young white dudes are so underrepresented in film, it'll be good to see one of them finally getting a break.
Old December 20 2013, 04:34 PM   #66
Pauln6
Rear Admiral

Set Harth wrote: View Post
Young white dudes are so underrepresented in film, it'll be good to see one of them finally getting a break.
True dat.

I, for one, pledge my undying support for our Hollywood Overseers.

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2013, 08:07 PM   #67
Gaith
Rear Admiral

So Apocalypse will probably look pretty much like this, right? I've been assuming he'll be a CG mocap character; the vague unreality of even the highest-end CG could in this case work in the movie's favor to give him an even more nightmarish presence in addition to beefing up his physique.
Gaith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2013, 08:18 PM   #68
Christopher
Writer

Allowing for the typical exaggeration of comic-book art, I don't see anything about Apocalypse's appearance that couldn't be easily enough achieved with prosthetic makeup. Well, he is rather large and able to grow to giant size (at least he could in the '90s cartoon), so maybe he could be a mocap character.

Old December 20 2013, 08:21 PM   #69
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Pauln6 wrote: View Post
In the IDW ongoing comic they are showing Khan's youth with the correct ethnicity so will presumably hand-wave away Cumberbatch's ethnicity as a disguise to protect his identity.

Additionally, Apocalypse sometimes usurps other bodies when his own wears out and he's a shapeshifter so handsome young white dude is more likely than anything else sadly.
I'm reading that too, but I assumed that Khan is going to die getting them aboard the Botany Bay, and Ricardo Khan is going to say to Bendict Khan with his dying breath: "Now you are Khan!"

Old December 20 2013, 08:51 PM   #70
Obiwanshinobi
Rear Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Allowing for the typical exaggeration of comic-book art, I don't see anything about Apocalypse's appearance that couldn't be easily enough achieved with prosthetic makeup. Well, he is rather large and able to grow to giant size (at least he could in the '90s cartoon), so maybe he could be a mocap character.
Yeah probably same treatment they're going to give Thanos.
Obiwanshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2013, 11:12 PM   #71
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
True, but one could have made the same argument for Gollum - find a very lanky guy, cover him in gray body paint, and give him a prosthetic skull cap. And one wouldn't have been wrong, either, but I don't think any of us wish they had gone that route.
Gaith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2013, 11:31 PM   #72
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

His big blue lips make contact with his ear lobes.

Old December 20 2013, 11:46 PM   #73
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

Great news.

However, Mike Dougherty and Dan Harris unofficially did some re-write work on Days of Future Past, so this isn't all that surprising. Still good news, though.

I like Simon Kinberg, but he's very much hit or miss as a screenwriter. I trust Singer, but I'm glad Dougherty and Harris are back for Days of Future Past and Apocalypse.

Also, it seems that Singer is collaborating with Dougherty and Harris on an X-Men comic-book. They were slated to work on one in the pre-X-Men: The Last Stand days but Singer left that project for Superman Returns and the rest is history. With Singer back with the X-Men universe, it appears that comic-book is getting revitalized and will probably get released sometime next year.
Old December 21 2013, 12:37 AM   #74
Christopher
Writer

Gaith wrote: View Post
True, but one could have made the same argument for Gollum - find a very lanky guy, cover him in gray body paint, and give him a prosthetic skull cap. And one wouldn't have been wrong, either, but I don't think any of us wish they had gone that route.
I don't quite agree with the analogy. The idea behind Gollum is that he's emaciated to an extreme degree, that the Ring has eaten away at his body and soul until there's very little left. Getting someone "lanky" wouldn't cut it; you'd need someone on the verge of starving to death. It's within the possible range of human variation but far beyond what you could ethically ask of any live performer.

Apocalypse, on the other hand, is basically just a big, muscular guy with gray skin and blue lines on his face who likes to wear big shoulder pads and a mongrammed belt buckle. Okay, he's about seven feet tall, which is getting into Richard Kiel/Carel Struycken territory, but it's doable.

Granted, though, finding someone really tall and muscular who's also a good actor is tricky. So that might justify going CGI, although it seems extravagantly expensive in a case like this, given that it's easy to make actors look bigger with costuming, camera angles, and the like.

I mean, really, if the X-Men movies got hung up on height, Hugh Jackman would never have qualified to be Wolverine.

Old December 21 2013, 12:50 AM   #75
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

I don't see it being a big deal either way.