IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old December 4 2013, 11:34 PM   #1411
sojourner
Admiral

Re: USS Grandeur - One... More... Time!

The wyvern cannons look much simpler here than I recall them. Is that just stand in geometry? Because I remember you putting a lot of fantastic work into them at one point.
Old December 5 2013, 05:39 AM   #1412
Vektor
Rear Admiral

It's not geometry all, the cannons were hand-painted.
Old December 8 2013, 10:47 PM   #1413
publiusr
Commodore

The underside is lovely as everyone has said.

Do you think the hardest part of trek ships is doing a side view.
I've tried to sketch out Galaxy class designs with raised nacelles, and the supports always look to chuncky. I like raised nacelles, but in some respects lowered ENT-D versions seem more fluid.

Have you tried sharply angled lines atop nacelle supports to either side to make struts look more rakish than they actually are?
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2013, 03:00 AM   #1414
cardinal biggles
THE ZEPPO

Send a message via ICQ to cardinal biggles Send a message via AIM to cardinal biggles Send a message via Yahoo to cardinal biggles

I think the pattern of darker sections on the underside looks fantastic; the top side not as much, but maybe I need to see it from a couple more angles.

As for the wyvern cannons, you mentioned that they are "one shot, one kill" and take a lot of time to recharge. Do they fire in tandem, or does the ship get to take one shot with each 'barrel'?
"For those of you playing the home game, this is what is known as a 'Prince Albert'. And I'm sure that was his last wish. 'Victoria, I'm dying. I want you to name a museum, a performance hall, and a bolt through the cock after me.'"
—Robin Williams, Live on Broadway
cardinal biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16 2013, 09:40 PM   #1415
JES
Captain

The underside details, even if painted, still look stunning. They didn't even look that way, and I would probably have never even noticed if you hadn't posted close-ups or mentioned it.

Blip: What you say about the Sovereign class having unrefined aspects and errors in her design is true, especially the placement of the impulse drives (I would have probably put at least a pair in the nacelle pylons; those, she would use while together, while the saucer impulse drives would work brilliantly only after the saucer section had cleared the engineering hull) but she is still a beautiful design. There is a difference between looking like trash, and being unrefined or under-detailed.

The Grandeur has surely benefited from having a much longer time of development, and I get the feeling that the deadline prevented John Eaves from making further design refinements to the Ent-E, and I speculate this is why she lacked visible aft weapons on her engineering hull, like the ones she had in Nemesis.
JES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2013, 12:57 AM   #1416
Blip
Fleet Captain

JES wrote: View Post
she is still a beautiful design. There is a difference between looking like trash, and being unrefined or under-detailed.
1) In your opinion it's beautiful. It's an opinion I and many others don't necessarily share.

2) I said kludge, not trash. The attempts at homage are crude, and lack subtlety; while the overall attempts at a sleek "fast" look are undermined by the presence of numerous clunky elements and harsh angles (eg, the pointless stepped ventral saucer, indents in the saucer rim, giganto impulse drives, etc)

I'm sure that Mr Eaves was on a deadline, and am well aware of Berman and co.'s predilection for interfering in the design process. But IMO if he'd wanted to improve the Ent-E for Nemesis there are a multitude of areas he should have addressed. Slapping on a dozen extra torpedo launchers just doesn't cut the mustard.
For those determined to contort yourselves into knots so as to include every minor production flub as gospel, and shoehorn it into "cannnonnnnn": STOP. I don't have all day to waste on here; I quite like enjoying real life thankyouverymuch.
Blip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2013, 08:30 PM   #1417
Santaman
Rear Admiral

A lot of other designs were rush jobs but no one but Eaves found it nescesary to aim impulse engines at nacelles/nacelle pylons which is plain stupid and I DO think he did that on purpose since he cursed Ent B with this design "feature" as well...
Old December 18 2013, 10:18 PM   #1418
Vektor
Rear Admiral

Not to stir the pot, but there is a rationale for impulse engines being reactionless and not actually emitting an exhaust that would incinerate the nacelles or pylons or whatever. The mere fact that they are capable of operating in reverse argues in favor of this.

That being said, I've always made a point of not putting anything directly behind them myself, but I'm not personally inclined to criticize those who do.
Old December 18 2013, 10:25 PM   #1419
Santaman
Rear Admiral

They don't provide any meaningful thrust but they are the exhaust of the impulse fusion reactors so helium/other fusion products and probably a lot of heat are expelled from there which you probably still don't want to have near your nacelles and/or pylons. "She's got to have a tailpipe."
Old December 19 2013, 06:09 PM   #1420
Blip
Fleet Captain

^ Yep, this.
For those determined to contort yourselves into knots so as to include every minor production flub as gospel, and shoehorn it into "cannnonnnnn": STOP. I don't have all day to waste on here; I quite like enjoying real life thankyouverymuch.
Old December 20 2013, 12:02 AM   #1421
largo
Fleet Captain

its fine because its on screen. if it were a problem, it'd be a problem on screen.
Old December 20 2013, 09:15 PM   #1422
Blip
Fleet Captain

Threshold was on screen. So was These Are The Voyages. And those were both utter stinking garbage.

Do you make excuses for shoddy writing and execution as much as bad production design?

Old March 3 2014, 03:34 AM   #1423
Vektor
Rear Admiral

Long overdue update on the USS Grandeur coming one week from today. Watch for it.
Old March 3 2014, 05:57 AM   #1424
Zombie Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Zombie Klaus's Twitter Profile

sweet!
Zombie Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2014, 08:52 PM   #1425
The Fiend
Torturing Savage Dragon

Awesome! Can't wait! I'm glad it's you bumping the thread for a change Vektor.