RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,411
Members: 24,630
Currently online: 472
Newest member: DasGeneral

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old December 20 2013, 07:26 AM   #136
AllStarEntprise
Fleet Captain

Re: J.J. admits keeping Khan's identity a secret was a mistake

I'd be down for a reimagining of the Borg in the Abramsverse. I think enough time has passed and they can get their "Extreme Makeover" for this new era/audience.

I suspect it will either be the Borg or classic Klingons like Kang, Kor and Koloth in the next Trek film.
AllStarEntprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2013, 09:56 AM   #137
Wadjda
Lieutenant Commander

I think people want to be spoiled too early. I would had been fine with knowing nothing about the villain.
Wadjda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2013, 01:40 PM   #138
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

MakeshiftPython wrote: View Post
The Borg are something that originated with TNG, thus I think if they should ever return to the big screen it should be when they get around to doing the TNG crew for the Abramsverse.
I wish TNG had used the same rational before screwing up the Romulans and Klingons.
Old December 20 2013, 04:16 PM   #139
The Wormhole
Admiral

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
Borg or bust.
But it won't be the Borg until a twist in the middle of the film.
Which everyone will have figured out.

Fans: "These mechanical zombies in cube ships. They're the Borg, right?"
Orci: "No, but they are from canon."
Old December 20 2013, 04:23 PM   #140
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Karl Urban states at some point that it's V'Ger.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2013, 04:34 PM   #141
Ryan8bit
Commodore

Set Harth wrote: View Post
Having everybody show up at the appointed time as dictated by the original timeline kind of defeats the purpose of having an alternate timeline.
I don't think they really wanted an alternate timeline though. That's just a bone thrown to fans who care too much about that kind of thing. It's pretty obvious that they just wanted to do a reboot, and that's essentially what we're getting.
Ryan8bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2013, 04:51 PM   #142
The Wormhole
Admiral

Of course, bringing the Borg into the movie means Spock Prime won't be able to help.

Quinto Spock: "I seek information."
Nimoy Spock: "I swore a solemn vow never to discuss the future with you. But since you are asking, I'll make an exception. Just this once."
Quinto Spock: "Tell me of your encounters with the Borg."
Nimoy Spock: "..."
Quinto Spock: "Sir?"
Nimoy Spock: "Another ship and crew dealt with them. You're on your own with this one. Sorry."
Old December 20 2013, 04:52 PM   #143
Wadjda
Lieutenant Commander

AllStarEntprise wrote: View Post
I'd be down for a reimagining of the Borg in the Abramsverse. I think enough time has passed and they can get their "Extreme Makeover" for this new era/audience.

I suspect it will either be the Borg or classic Klingons like Kang, Kor and Koloth in the next Trek film.
They need to be faster, like new Dawn of the Dead zombies.
Old December 20 2013, 05:39 PM   #144
MakeshiftPython
Captain

DDD...D Unit wrote: View Post

More likely the frantic WORLD WAR Z than anything else. Bones will inject deadly viruses on every crew member so the Borg won't want to assimilate people.

Oh God, who's betting that mid-way through the film Kirk gets captured and assimilated? It'll be a "homage" of that "Best of Both Words" cliffhanger, but now with TOS characters! How clever!
MakeshiftPython is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2013, 05:43 PM   #145
The Wormhole
Admiral

Oh God, who's betting that mid-way through the film Kirk gets captured and assimilated? It'll be a "homage" of that "Best of Both Words" cliffhanger, but now with TOS characters! How clever!
Nah, it'll be Spock who gets assimilated and Kirk will give the order to fire. Role reversal is so "clever" and less obvious.

Last edited by The Wormhole; December 21 2013 at 02:40 AM.
The Wormhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2013, 09:06 PM   #146
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Nah, it'll Spock who gets assimilated and Kirk will give the order to fire. Role reversal is so "clever" and less obvious.
Before he does, Borg Spock will tell him an ironic, borgified remark about "the needs of the many".
Old December 20 2013, 09:07 PM   #147
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Oh wait wait wait, I got it.

Resistance is... illogical!

Old December 20 2013, 10:19 PM   #148
Wadjda
Lieutenant Commander

DDD...D Unit wrote: View Post

More likely the frantic WORLD WAR Z than anything else. Bones will inject deadly viruses on every crew member so the Borg won't want to assimilate people.

Within a month a Borg will die out because of STDs.
Old December 21 2013, 02:36 AM   #149
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Ryan8bit wrote: View Post
I don't think they really wanted an alternate timeline though. That's just a bone thrown to fans who care too much about that kind of thing. It's pretty obvious that they just wanted to do a reboot, and that's essentially what we're getting.
How do you know what they wanted? All this "bone thrown to fans" stuff is just what certain people insist on believing. It's only "pretty obvious" that people not involved in the production of the films will continue to make this claim despite not having any actual evidence for it. And it's irrelevant anyway, since we did end up with an alternate timeline. In any event, even if they had rebooted the franchise, they would still be able to have the Borg show up earlier.
Old December 21 2013, 03:53 AM   #150
Lance
Fleet Captain

In regards to the Borg fighting against altKirk and crew, I have no problem with that. Enterprise (which is still completely 100% correct in this timeline as well) already established Borg tech pre-TOS, so Kirk and company coming up against them would be perfectly acceptable.

But why not throw the TOS crew up against Cardassians? The 2009 movie confirms Starfleet has meet the Cardies at this point, and it would provide audiences with something they've never seen before (TOS era Cardassians) without it feeling quite so... contrived as bringing in the Borg.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote