Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old December 19 2013, 10:06 PM   #1
Shat Happens
Commander

"They're just trying to decide whether a twenty year-old Klingon Bird

"They're just trying to decide whether a twenty year-old Klingon Bird of Prey is any match for the Federation flagship."

No, Picard, they were working of their cunning plan to take your ship down, and in case you didn't notice, they succeded. Also with that same 20-year old spaceship (which isn't that much older than your 8-year one).

Picard doesn't respect his enemy. Oh the irony. And I dont see why the Klingons love him so much. Anyway, so much for the Enterprise-D.
Shat Happens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2013, 11:19 PM   #2
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: "They're just trying to decide whether a twenty year-old Klingon B

Shat Happens wrote: View Post
Anyway, so much for the Enterprise-D.
It made me very sad to watch it go down in such a shitty manner. I'm still angry about it twenty-plus years later.

Maybe it wouldn't have stung so much for so long if the Enterprise-E didn't look like a complete piece of garbage.
Old December 19 2013, 11:57 PM   #3
CorporalClegg
Admiral

Even with the Geordi as a Trojan horse, I think it could have been save had someone more competent had sat at the helm.

Alas, if only Wesley was still on board.
Old December 19 2013, 11:58 PM   #4
Dick_Valentine
Commander

View Dick_Valentine's Twitter Profile

^Equal favourite ship along with the Defiant, cheers

It would've been nice to see it go out all guns blazing, instead of getting off one phaser shot and firing a "full spread" of ONE photon torpedo!

DS9's USS Odyssey got a much punchier demse, she was holding her own against 3 Jem H'adar bugs with no shields, the finale of the legendary Enterprise-D should've gone down a lot more like that, death by a thousand cuts type of thing, instead of one big battle.

But oh well, it gave us the Enterprise-E and the famous name has never looked better so, swings and roundabouts
Old December 20 2013, 12:03 AM   #5
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

BillJ wrote: View Post
Shat Happens wrote: View Post
Anyway, so much for the Enterprise-D.
It made me very sad to watch it go down in such a shitty manner. I'm still angry about it twenty-plus years later.

Maybe it wouldn't have stung so much for so long if the Enterprise-E didn't look like a complete piece of garbage.
The Enterprise is a character and her destruction shouldn't have been simply shrugged off. It would be like if they'd killed Picard and the movie ended with the crew saying, "Oh, well, we can always get a new captain."
Old December 20 2013, 12:35 AM   #6
2takesfrakes
Commodore

Enterprise-D was an important character in TNG and if they were, in fact, committed to destroying her, she deserved at least as much respect as Kirk gave his Enterprise, as it went down in a blaze of glory. Riker's comment on "she went before her time," was not at all satisfactory in this regard! Is that all he has to say? Even Data's "Oh ... Shit!!!" comment, as unexpectedly funny as it was (and I must concede that it was) seemed to cheapen her demise. The "D" was very elegant, stately and as iconic as the original was in TMP. But ... that's what I deserve, I suppose, for being a sentimental fan of this beloved franchise.
Old December 20 2013, 12:42 AM   #7
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
The Enterprise is a character and her destruction shouldn't have been simply shrugged off. It would be like if they'd killed Picard and the movie ended with the crew saying, "Oh, well, we can always get a new captain."
It's odd that for as long as he ran the franchise, Rick Berman never really seemed to get what was important to fans.
Old December 20 2013, 02:06 AM   #8
Shat Happens
Commander

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
Alas, if only Wesley was still on board.
OK, now I lol'd
Old December 20 2013, 02:28 AM   #9
Lance
Fleet Captain

Dick_Valentine wrote: View Post
It would've been nice to see it go out all guns blazing, instead of getting off one phaser shot and firing a "full spread" of ONE photon torpedo!
Yeah, do we know what was up with that? Did ILM make a mistake with the opticals? Did they not read the script? I would assume the line "Full Spread" implies something more spectacular.

See, this is the thing. The Enterprise being taken down isn't really the issue. It's that she goes down in such a lame way. We'd already seen better battles on the TNG tv series!
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2013, 03:10 AM   #10
Shat Happens
Commander

That's it, those cheapasses in charge wouldn't pay ILM do do a nice battle for them.

They reused the Bird of Prey explosion from the last movie. (It would be funny if Kirk saw the explosion from somewhere and said "I already saw that!")

Funny thing is, nowadays CGI battles are cheap as bananas -- but I don't care anymore. I sleep thru JJ's things.
Old December 20 2013, 05:15 AM   #11
AllStarEntprise
Fleet Captain

Blame Brannon Braga for the lame ass way the ENT-D went down. He wanted a scene where the saucer section was crashing on a planet. He says this on the GEN commentary with Ronald D. Moore. The saucer section crash was something he had planned to for the finale season 6 of TNG. In season 7 the TNG crew would've just gotten another Galaxy class with the name ENT-E. The destruction of the D was a means to an ends (no pun intended).

You can also blame Rick Berman and Ronald D Moore for Kirk and Picard making eggs and riding horses. Braga wanted Kirk and Picard doing action hero shit on their respective ships against Soran. Listening to the GEN commentary you get the impression that Braga, Moore and Berman did not want to do what people expected, and instead strove to do things unexpected and off beat. It's outside of the box thinking yes, but sometimes the box is their for a reason.

Last edited by AllStarEntprise; December 20 2013 at 05:27 AM.
AllStarEntprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2013, 06:05 AM   #12
MakeshiftPython
Captain

AllStarEntprise wrote: View Post
You can also blame Rick Berman and Ronald D Moore for Kirk and Picard making eggs and riding horses. Braga wanted Kirk and Picard doing action hero shit on their respective ships against Soran. Listening to the GEN commentary you get the impression that Braga, Moore and Berman did not want to do what people expected, and instead strove to do things unexpected and off beat. It's outside of the box thinking yes, but sometimes the box is their for a reason.
In a way it was Jeri Taylor's fault because she was the one that actually encouraged them to do something off beat. Originally the introduction of the Enterprise was supposed to be heroic. We see the station get attacked by Romulans, suddenly the Enterprise sweeps in to save the day. Jeri Taylor then said "that's boring, you should do something more off beat and quirky, make it fun". Thus, our introduction to the TNG crew on the big screen is a holodeck program of the old sailing ship with everyone in costume. From then on, Moore and Braga kept up with Taylor's advice of going for the unexpected, off beat kind of thing. It's ironic, cause Beverly tells Data "live in the moment, do something unexpected" and when Data tries (pushing her into the water) it's a failure.
MakeshiftPython is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2013, 06:34 AM   #13
AllStarEntprise
Fleet Captain

^ AH. I knew Jeri Taylor had input but I had no idea it was like that. It's also ironic considering how much action VOY had on it. VOY has tons of disposable action but a pay for view movie has very little? Why did they listen to her? With a movie you need to have rewatch value.
AllStarEntprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2013, 08:49 AM   #14
GameOn
Lieutenant Commander

AllStarEntprise wrote: View Post
^ AH. I knew Jeri Taylor had input but I had no idea it was like that. It's also ironic considering how much action VOY had on it. VOY has tons of disposable action but a pay for view movie has very little? Why did they listen to her? With a movie you need to have rewatch value.
Yeah Voyager had so much needless action that hardly ever served the plot. I think the biggest mistake they made was leaving the TNG movies in the hands of the people behind the TV shows.
GameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2013, 08:54 AM   #15
CorporalClegg
Admiral

To be fair, most of Voyager's "needless" action came along after she was gone.