Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Shatner Book Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Nov 20

Trek Original Series Slippers
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Hemsworth Is Sexiest Man Alive
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old December 18 2013, 06:12 AM   #1
t_smitts
Commander

Could YOU handle acting in heavy alien prosthetics?

I just read an interview Jeffrey Dean Morgan gave in 2012 how playing a Xindi-Reptilian on "Enterprise" was such a thoroughly miserable experience for him that he would go home in tears every night and almost quit acting because of it.

Now it's common knowledge that acting under heavy prosthetics can be pretty rough, especially if you're claustrophobic. It's heavy, it's hot, your skin can't breathe, sweat gets trapped, you're often restricted as to what you can eat, you're sometimes nearly deaf if your ears are covered. Plus you've got a 3 AM call-time. Lovely.

When you factor all that in, it's not too terribly surprising to hear about Andrea Martin being unwilling to return as Moogie, or Star Trek resorting to what's practically a company repertory players (Vaughn Armstrong, etc.) as aliens, or a VERY generous salary bump being necessary to woo Michael Dorn to put that forehead back on for DS9.

(This is also why I think you need to give props to someone like Ron Perlman for making the Hellboy movies. He was the lead, after all, which means he was on set all the time. They were action movies, meaning lots of moving around. Plus he was already in his fifties when they made the first one).

My question is, do you think YOU could've endured the hours of applied prosthetics to play a Klingon, Ferengi, Cardassian, etc. for a guest spot or even a recurring role? What about the REALLY heavy ones like the Xindi-Reptilian, or Hirogen?

In my case, I've never been claustrophobic, but I don't think I could handle anything that requires contacts, so I guess a Vorta or Aenar would be out of the question for me. For the sake of immortality, however, I think be able to subject myself to a few days of working with forehead or even full head on me, but probably no more than that, as I suspect the long hours in something like that would really start to take its toll.

What about you?
t_smitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2013, 06:43 AM   #2
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Re: Could YOU handle acting in heavy alien prosthetics?

I don't even like wearing hats, so probably not.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2013, 08:56 AM   #3
Wadjda
Commander

No way.
Wadjda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2013, 09:33 AM   #4
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Facial prosthetic, yes. Full head, no way. The actors who played Ferengi...man, they got my respec'. Something like a Cardassian would be bad enough, but at least you've got the top of your head exposed, more or less. The Ferengi have got a gigantic rubber heat-seal on their head. Horrible.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2013, 04:12 PM   #5
Kirby
Rear Admiral

View Kirby's Twitter Profile

I can't even talk in front of a group of people without feeliing like I'm going to pass out, so I assume that adding a claustrophobic, heavy latex prosthetic would probably just make me wet myself before passing out.
Old December 18 2013, 07:51 PM   #6
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Going by the accounts of various actors who don't wear prosthetics, spending hours in a Starfleet uniform costume is just as bad (IIRC, they're very tight, they tend to ride up, they can be extremely hot under set lighting, and--if you're not careful--they're easily prone to wardrobe malfunction).
Old December 18 2013, 08:59 PM   #7
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral

If I'm trying to break into the industry and it's the job offered to me, absolutely I would. Prosthetics aren't the only source of acting discomfort, the actors in Titanic got practically hypothermic. Severe discomfort is an occupational hazard.

If I'm an established actor with the ability to be picky and choosy, probably not, unless I really respected the writers.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2013, 02:54 PM   #8
PicardSpeedo
Lieutenant Commander

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
Going by the accounts of various actors who don't wear prosthetics, spending hours in a Starfleet uniform costume is just as bad (IIRC, they're very tight, they tend to ride up, they can be extremely hot under set lighting, and--if you're not careful--they're easily prone to wardrobe malfunction).
Well, at least the women got to go commando in the Starfleet uniforms (according to Marina Sirtis).
PicardSpeedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2013, 07:32 PM   #9
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

PicardSpeedo wrote: View Post
C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
Well, at least the women got to go commando in the Starfleet uniforms (according to Marina Sirtis).
Doesn't help that the costumes are uncomfortable to begin with. Like most costumes, they're designed to look good on camera more than anything else. Even the ENT Starfleet costumes weren't all that comfortable to wear for long periods of time apparently (although they were supposedly better than the ones worn in previous shows).
Old December 19 2013, 09:04 PM   #10
trekker670
Fleet Captain

Is there a source for this? In one of the best buy exclusive discs with the TNG DVDs, there's a tour of the costume department and that's clearly not the case.
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2013, 10:23 PM   #11
PicardSpeedo
Lieutenant Commander

trekker670 wrote: View Post
Is there a source for this? In one of the best buy exclusive discs with the TNG DVDs, there's a tour of the costume department and that's clearly not the case.
I'd have to track it down, but it was a statement attributed to her in an interview. In any case, just because they showed undergarments in the costume department doesn't mean that they were wearing them. There are several well-known screengrabs on the Internet that clearly reveal the lack of undergarments on more than a few Trek actors.
PicardSpeedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2013, 03:31 AM   #12
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Oh God no. I don't know how Vaughn Armstrong handled it. Poor guy's played more different alien species than anyone in history (8 different races, comprising over a dozen characters). I bet he was damn glad to finally play a human on ENT!
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2013, 11:20 AM   #13
MacLeod
Admiral

Kirby wrote: View Post
I can't even talk in front of a group of people without feeliing like I'm going to pass out, so I assume that adding a claustrophobic, heavy latex prosthetic would probably just make me wet myself before passing out.
Or it might help counter the anxeity of talking in front of a group of people, and yes I dislike talking in front of even small groups of people.

But my answer to the OP's question is I don't know. What can happen is that people say they'll be fine with it until it's applied than they could freak out.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2013, 05:14 PM   #14
t_smitts
Commander

MacLeod wrote: View Post
Kirby wrote: View Post
Or it might help counter the anxeity of talking in front of a group of people, and yes I dislike talking in front of even small groups of people.

But my answer to the OP's question is I don't know. What can happen is that people say they'll be fine with it until it's applied than they could freak out.
That's why they have make-up tests.
t_smitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2013, 05:51 AM   #15
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral

Jeffrey Combs doesn't mind.

By 2005 he must have felt uncomfortable *without* prosthetics.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote