Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old December 19 2013, 05:28 AM   #211
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: TMP on Blu-Ray

^ But what's the point of that? Things like the size of V'Ger, for example. It obviously can't be both 82 AU's and 2 AU's in diameter. When future Trek material picks one or the other, that becomes official, and it's pointless to argue otherwise.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2013, 11:39 AM   #212
MakeshiftPython
Captain

What was the reason for the AUs thing? It doesn't bother me that they changed to from 82 to 2, because either way it's still ridiculously big. I'm curious to know why that alteration was done.
MakeshiftPython is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2013, 05:41 PM   #213
BeatleJWOL
Commander

Send a message via AIM to BeatleJWOL Send a message via Yahoo to BeatleJWOL

Sez Memory Alpha:
In the original version of the film, V'Ger's cloud was actually 82 AUs across. At their farthest point from each other (the aphelion), Earth and Pluto are just over 49 AUs apart. This would have made V'Ger's cloud almost twice that length, completely engulfing the solar system.
http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Astronomical_unit
BeatleJWOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2013, 06:44 PM   #214
Jeyl
Commodore

RAMA wrote: View Post
Too the poster who says paramount doesn't care about it's bluray releases, what utter nonesense. ST still makes money in all it's incarnations, new releases of the old movies on bluray continue to appear on shelves in stores. A remaster of STII and STII is on bluray. It poured money into the STNG blurays to re-edit them fromscratch. Star Trek 09 went back onto the top 20 blurays sales chart after STID was released in the theaters, then on video. I also saw STNG on the top 15 sales chart chart several times. There's a DE for STII on bluray. If there is a market like this, then they have reason to work on them.
Slight problem with that argument. The movies and television series are being run by two different studios. Paramount is in charge of the movies, while CBS is in charge of the television series. And despite Trek09 being a fantastic BluRay, the Star Trek Into Darkness BluRay is no where near as good. Bonus features were split up as retailer exclusives and immersive features like the visual commentary and the Imax aspect ratio being iTunes exclusives (and not even in 1080p).

So in retrospect, CBS is the one pouring a lot of money and resources into presenting Star Trek in the best possible way while Paramount is still sticking with the work they did on the movies in 2009 and nothing beyond that.

And no, there is no BluRay of the Director's Edition of The Wrath of Khan. Also, the film is now starch blue.
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2013, 07:55 PM   #215
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Jeyl wrote: View Post
RAMA wrote: View Post
Too the poster who says paramount doesn't care about it's bluray releases, what utter nonesense. ST still makes money in all it's incarnations, new releases of the old movies on bluray continue to appear on shelves in stores. A remaster of STII and STII is on bluray. It poured money into the STNG blurays to re-edit them fromscratch. Star Trek 09 went back onto the top 20 blurays sales chart after STID was released in the theaters, then on video. I also saw STNG on the top 15 sales chart chart several times. There's a DE for STII on bluray. If there is a market like this, then they have reason to work on them.
Slight problem with that argument. The movies and television series are being run by two different studios. Paramount is in charge of the movies, while CBS is in charge of the television series. And despite Trek09 being a fantastic BluRay, the Star Trek Into Darkness BluRay is no where near as good. Bonus features were split up as retailer exclusives and immersive features like the visual commentary and the Imax aspect ratio being iTunes exclusives (and not even in 1080p).

So in retrospect, CBS is the one pouring a lot of money and resources into presenting Star Trek in the best possible way while Paramount is still sticking with the work they did on the movies in 2009 and nothing beyond that.

And no, there is no BluRay of the Director's Edition of The Wrath of Khan. Also, the film is now starch blue.
Paramount produced brand new versions of blurays and remastered at least several for the release, so that's STILL supporting the movies franchise(s).

STID's bluray was a marketing scheme and in no way make the release or desire to acquire it different to the majority of consumers, who do not watch most of the special features anyway.

RAMA
Old December 19 2013, 08:07 PM   #216
Harvey
Admiral

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that only Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan was remastered. Also, Paramount only remastered the theatrical version (which even comes to a surprise to Nicholas Meyer on the new audio commentary!) and changed much of the color-timing of that film to a more blueish tint for no particular reason.

The rest of the Blu-Rays have old, heavily DNR'd transfers on them. There are some new bonus features, but many of these are pointless (i.e. the fan round tables and the commentaries by people who didn't work on the films).

The Blu-Rays certainly could be worse, but they're not great.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2013, 08:11 PM   #217
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Harvey wrote: View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that only Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan was remastered.
You're right.
Old December 19 2013, 10:19 PM   #218
Oso Blanco
Commodore

BillJ wrote: View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that only Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan was remastered.
You're right.
I think they have all been remastered, but only TWOK has been given the restoration treatment because the negatives were in such a bad shape.

I mean, they had to be remastered for the BD release ... otherwise they would have been SD upscales, right?
Old December 19 2013, 10:24 PM   #219
Harvey
Admiral

^^
Unless the previous DVDs were sourced from (poor) HD transfers.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2013, 10:37 PM   #220
BillJ
Admiral

^^
I'm pretty sure the films were scanned at 1080i and then downrezzed to 480i for the DVD's. Those masters were then used for the Blu-ray's except for TWOK.

Can't remember where I read that though? So take the above with a grain of salt.
Old December 19 2013, 10:50 PM   #221
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Oso Blanco wrote: View Post
You're right.
I think they have all been remastered, but only TWOK has been given the restoration treatment because the negatives were in such a bad shape.

I mean, they had to be remastered for the BD release ... otherwise they would have been SD upscales, right?
No, depends on what rez they were scanned at. The Bond films were mostly scanned at 4K by Lowery Digital a good ways back, so they are good to go for a ways to come. Even 2K scans of the TREK films is plenty good enough for BR, so the stated notion that only TWOK has been remastered seems totally accurate to me. I guess you could look on thedigitalbits.com or blu-ray.com or some place like that for authentication.

blu-ray.com's forum notes TWOK as having a 4K transfer.

Last edited by trevanian; December 19 2013 at 10:53 PM. Reason: enhancement
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2013, 02:36 AM   #222
SpHeRe31459
Captain

^^
I'm pretty sure the films were scanned at 1080i and then downrezzed to 480i for the DVD's. Those masters were then used for the Blu-ray's except for TWOK.

Can't remember where I read that though? So take the above with a grain of salt.
Basically correct. There is some pretty strong evidence that they just cranked out the Blu-ray editions in 2009 using the very early, for the tech, 1080p scans that were made in the early-2000s for the DE DVDs and for use on the (then) new premium HD cable/sat movie channels (HBO used to have the catalog rights to the TOS movies).

Since their target resolution was DVD (480i) and done in the early-2000s they were not very concerned with what it looked like at HD resolution. So they used all the quick and easy cheats of the era to process the image for DVD resolution. The problem is those quick and dirty image manipulation tricks look like crap when viewed in high resolution. Hence why we have all of the movies with anywhere from a bit too much to massive amounts of noise reduction applied.
SpHeRe31459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2013, 02:38 AM   #223
SpHeRe31459
Captain

trevanian wrote: View Post
Oso Blanco wrote: View Post

You're right.

No, depends on what rez they were scanned at. The Bond films were mostly scanned at 4K by Lowery Digital a good ways back, so they are good to go for a ways to come.
I wouldn't say "mostly". Lowery only scanned a select group, 9 of the movies, at 4k. All the Connery movies, plus a few others they deemed needing the higher resolution.
http://commanderbond.net/2878/all-20...-new-dvds.html

Lowery is another company that is infamously heavy handed with DNR. And again the initial target for the project were the DVDs from the early-mid-2000s.

trevanian wrote: View Post
Even 2K scans of the TREK films is plenty good enough for BR, so the stated notion that only TWOK has been remastered seems totally accurate to me. I guess you could look on thedigitalbits.com or blu-ray.com or some place like that for authentication.

blu-ray.com's forum notes TWOK as having a 4K transfer.
I highly doubt TWOK was given a 4k transfer. The Blu-ray discs appear to have been done as cheaply as possible to coincide/cash-in-on the Abrams movie in 2009.
If they did, it's been ruined by DNR, and other processing. TWOK still looks very "cleaned up", not as bad the ones clearly reusing ancient transfers like TVH and TUC, but still not what a proper/well-done transfer of a 1982 film should look like.

Last edited by SpHeRe31459; December 20 2013 at 02:54 AM.
SpHeRe31459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2013, 02:56 AM   #224
BillJ
Admiral

SpHeRe31459 wrote: View Post
^^

Basically correct. There is some pretty strong evidence that they just cranked out the Blu-ray editions in 2009 using the very early, for the tech, 1080p scans that were made in the early-2000s for the DE DVDs and for use on the (then) new premium HD cable/sat movie channels (HBO used to have the catalog rights to the TOS movies).

Since their target resolution was DVD (480i) and done in the early-2000s they were not very concerned with what it looked like at HD resolution. So they used all the quick and easy cheats of the era to process the image for DVD resolution. The problem is those quick and dirty image manipulation tricks look like crap when viewed in high resolution. Hence why we have all of the movies with anywhere from a bit too much to massive amounts of noise reduction applied.
Thanks for the correct information. I was afraid I might have been misremembering some of the details.