RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,346
Posts: 5,354,202
Members: 24,620
Currently online: 523
Newest member: StarTrekSteve

TrekToday headlines

Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

True Trek History To Be Penned
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: So what did you think?
Brilliant: Geronimo. 188 77.69%
Very Good: Bow Ties are Cool! 38 15.70%
Ok: Come along Ponds. 10 4.13%
Passable: Fish Fingers and Custard. 5 2.07%
Terrible: Who da man? 1 0.41%
Voters: 242. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old December 18 2013, 05:16 PM   #706
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral
 
Allyn Gibson's Avatar
 
Location: South Pennsyltucky
View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson
Re: The Day of the Doctore Review Thread (Spoilers?)

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
So the War Doctor really was originally written for Eccleston? I did note in my review that it felt like the role was originally written for him.
"Intended to be" rather than "written," I think. I doubt there was ever a completed script for Eccleston. When Eccleston passed, Moffat says he went with his back-up plan, which was "the Mayfly Doctor."

If there was a scene for Eccleston written, it was probably the moment when the War Doctor meets Ten and Eleven. The breezy attitude he has in that moment is very much as odds with the rest of the portrayal of the character.

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Hmm, though this has me wondering. What if the only reason Eccleston turned it down was just because Moffat didn't have a completed script at the meeting and he just shrugged and walked away as you say? As great as John Hurt was, it really is a wasted opportunity if we missed out on having an actual Doctor return just because of Moffat's script-writing procrastination.
I can't see Eccleston agreeing to take part unless there were a script; he'd want to see the kind of material he was getting since this would have been a project that probably didn't pay much. (He's made no secret of the fact that he takes crappy roles for money, but if there's little money involved it would probably work the other way, too; he'd have to see that it were a good and meaty role.) Harve Bennett had the same problem with the Star Trek films. The actors wanted to see the scripts before they signed. Heck, even Tom Baker wanted to see a script for "The Five Doctors"; he read what existed, and then passed.
__________________
"When David Marcus cited the great thinkers of history -- "Newton, Einstein, Surak" -- Newt Gingrich did not make his list." -- 24 January 2012

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2013, 09:57 PM   #707
Emperor-Tiberius
Fleet Captain
 
Emperor-Tiberius's Avatar
 
Location: Kavala, Greece
Re: The Day of the Doctore Review Thread (Spoilers?)

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
We wouldn't have had John Hurt in "The Day of the Doctor," and a world without John Hurt as the Doctor, especially a world without pictures of a boozy John Hurt and a Dalek in Buckingham Palace, scarcely bears thinking of.
I'm sorry, but I can't agree to this at all. Between Eccleston and John Hurt, if I HAD to choose which of the two to feature in the program's 50th anniversary - a new Doctor that would screw with the incarnations for no other reason than stunt casting, and a returning actor who hasn't been associated with the role for over 8 years since he left DW - I'd choose Eccleston (though my avatar kinda betrays this).

Thats not to say, of course, that I don't like Hurt or his performance as the War Doctor. I do, and he did extremely well - it was the rare stunt casting that worked, and thankfully for that. Can't complain on him, he did more than solid.

But if there was a choice between the two, its gotta be for Mr. Nine. Just like I wouldn't want the special to NOT have David Tennant in it.
__________________
"Spock...?" Kirk said, whispering.
"I am... most pleased to see again, Captain" Spock formally replied.
McCoy shook his head in disgust. "Oh, for crying out loud, Spock. Its been eighty years!"
"Seventy eight point four years, Doctor."

The Holy Three meet again, in The Return
Emperor-Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2013, 03:25 AM   #708
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral
 
The Mirrorball Man's Avatar
 
Location: Switzerland
View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile
Re: The Day of the Doctore Review Thread (Spoilers?)

Emperor-Tiberius wrote: View Post
Thats not to say, of course, that I don't like Hurt or his performance as the War Doctor. I do, and he did extremely well - it was the rare stunt casting that worked, and thankfully for that. Can't complain on him, he did more than solid.
That's because it was not stunt casting, it was simply casting. As someone famously said, stunt casting implies that you cast someone solely because they are popular with your target audience. Now, I'm not really "down" with the kids anymore, I don't know a lot about hippity hop and Snoopy Snoopy Dog Dog, but I am fairly certain that most kids don't hang around the playgrounds discussing how cool John Hurt is.
__________________
Check out my deviantArt gallery!
The Mirrorball Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2013, 03:31 AM   #709
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral
 
Guy Gardener's Avatar
 
Location: In the lap of squalor I assure you.
Re: The Day of the Doctore Review Thread (Spoilers?)

Peter Davison made his own special.

Eccleston just doesn't want anything to do with this anymore.

Let him go.
__________________
"Glitter is the herpes of arts and craft."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2013, 04:30 AM   #710
Sindatur
Vice Admiral
 
Sindatur's Avatar
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: The Day of the Doctore Review Thread (Spoilers?)

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
<Snip>...Now, I'm not really "down" with the kids anymore, I don't know a lot about hippity hop and Snoopy Snoopy Dog Dog...<Snip>
I thought it was Snoop Snoopy Dog
__________________
One Day I hope to be the Man my Cat thinks I am

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2013, 10:45 AM   #711
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion
 
RJDiogenes's Avatar
 
Location: RJDiogenes of Boston
Re: The Day of the Doctore Review Thread (Spoilers?)

I thought it was Snoopy and the Red Baron.
__________________
Please stop by my Gallery and YouTube Page for a visit. And read Trunkards!
RJDiogenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2013, 11:17 AM   #712
Emperor-Tiberius
Fleet Captain
 
Emperor-Tiberius's Avatar
 
Location: Kavala, Greece
Re: The Day of the Doctore Review Thread (Spoilers?)

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Emperor-Tiberius wrote: View Post
Thats not to say, of course, that I don't like Hurt or his performance as the War Doctor. I do, and he did extremely well - it was the rare stunt casting that worked, and thankfully for that. Can't complain on him, he did more than solid.
That's because it was not stunt casting, it was simply casting. As someone famously said, stunt casting implies that you cast someone solely because they are popular with your target audience. Now, I'm not really "down" with the kids anymore, I don't know a lot about hippity hop and Snoopy Snoopy Dog Dog, but I am fairly certain that most kids don't hang around the playgrounds discussing how cool John Hurt is.
Thats because kids weren't the sole target audience for The Day of the Doctor. And most everyone over 16 knows who John Hurt is, if their pop-culture knowledge is worth a damn.

And he was stunt casting, because he was an all-new Doctor, written with John Hurt in mind. To say it was anything else is wishful thinking.
__________________
"Spock...?" Kirk said, whispering.
"I am... most pleased to see again, Captain" Spock formally replied.
McCoy shook his head in disgust. "Oh, for crying out loud, Spock. Its been eighty years!"
"Seventy eight point four years, Doctor."

The Holy Three meet again, in The Return
Emperor-Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2013, 11:30 AM   #713
RoJoHen
Awesome
 
RoJoHen's Avatar
 
Location: QC, IL, USA
Re: The Day of the Doctore Review Thread (Spoilers?)

Sindatur wrote: View Post
The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
<Snip>...Now, I'm not really "down" with the kids anymore, I don't know a lot about hippity hop and Snoopy Snoopy Dog Dog...<Snip>
I thought it was Snoop Snoopy Dog
Nowadays he actually goes by Snoop Lion.
__________________
I am the Quintessential Admiral.
RoJoHen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2013, 11:38 AM   #714
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral
 
The Mirrorball Man's Avatar
 
Location: Switzerland
View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile
Re: The Day of the Doctore Review Thread (Spoilers?)

Emperor-Tiberius wrote: View Post
And he was stunt casting, because he was an all-new Doctor, written with John Hurt in mind. To say it was anything else is wishful thinking.
No, really, the expression actually has a definition. No matter how much you insist, "stunt casting" is not just "hiring famous actors".

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Nowadays he actually goes by Snoop Lion.
And Reincarnated is actually a decent album, much to my surprise.
__________________
Check out my deviantArt gallery!
The Mirrorball Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2013, 11:42 AM   #715
Emperor-Tiberius
Fleet Captain
 
Emperor-Tiberius's Avatar
 
Location: Kavala, Greece
Re: The Day of the Doctore Review Thread (Spoilers?)

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Emperor-Tiberius wrote: View Post
And he was stunt casting, because he was an all-new Doctor, written with John Hurt in mind. To say it was anything else is wishful thinking.
No, really, the expression actually has a definition. No matter how much you insist, "stunt casting" is not just "hiring famous actors".
It is when its John Hurt, and promotes the programme through him. Or wasn't there a whole lot of (retroactively pointless) debate about what John Hurt's Doctor was gonna be over the summer?
__________________
"Spock...?" Kirk said, whispering.
"I am... most pleased to see again, Captain" Spock formally replied.
McCoy shook his head in disgust. "Oh, for crying out loud, Spock. Its been eighty years!"
"Seventy eight point four years, Doctor."

The Holy Three meet again, in The Return
Emperor-Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2013, 12:03 PM   #716
Starkers
Admiral
 
Starkers's Avatar
 
Location: Behind enemy lines
Re: The Day of the Doctore Review Thread (Spoilers?)

Hardly a small role though was it?
__________________
Werewolves on the Moon Now with Dawn of the Planet of the Apes review

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2013, 12:13 PM   #717
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral
 
The Mirrorball Man's Avatar
 
Location: Switzerland
View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile
Re: The Day of the Doctore Review Thread (Spoilers?)

Emperor-Tiberius wrote: View Post
It is when its John Hurt, and promotes the programme through him. Or wasn't there a whole lot of (retroactively pointless) debate about what John Hurt's Doctor was gonna be over the summer?
But they did not promote the programme through John Hurt.

He was not mentioned and his face was not visible in the teaser trailer. His name was listed in fifth position on the official poster, which featured a tiny John Hurt figure in the middle of two towering Matt Smith and David Tennant pictures. He didn't get more interviews or have more media presence than Jenna Coleman.

What you're talking about here, it seems to me, is the amount of speculation among fans, but I can assure you that it's not on the forefront of Stephen Moffat's preoccupations and has very little to do with his casting decisions.

Starkers wrote: View Post
Hardly a small role though was it?
It was a pivotal, meaty role, which is why they picked a talented and charismatic actor to play it. Thinking that they were counting on the legions of John Hurt fans to boost up Doctor Who's viewing figures, though, which is what stunt casting is, is obviously delusional.
__________________
Check out my deviantArt gallery!

Last edited by The Mirrorball Man; December 19 2013 at 12:28 PM.
The Mirrorball Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2013, 02:04 PM   #718
Emperor-Tiberius
Fleet Captain
 
Emperor-Tiberius's Avatar
 
Location: Kavala, Greece
Re: The Day of the Doctore Review Thread (Spoilers?)

Starkers wrote: View Post
Hardly a small role though was it?
Obviously. But his role in the special was the most talked about in the whole year. I even heard about it before I turned into DW this year - and I gotta admit, that did turn my head a little.

In any case, its foolhardy to say that the John Hurt was what made the special so great, and that the thought of him not being in it is, well, unthinkable. I firmly believe the special would've been as effective with Paul McGann as that Doctor, if not more so because of the signifcance of seeing a one-off Doctor have such an interesting history layed upon him.

But Paul McGann wasn't gonna be in it, because who's McGann compared to John frickin' Hurt?
__________________
"Spock...?" Kirk said, whispering.
"I am... most pleased to see again, Captain" Spock formally replied.
McCoy shook his head in disgust. "Oh, for crying out loud, Spock. Its been eighty years!"
"Seventy eight point four years, Doctor."

The Holy Three meet again, in The Return
Emperor-Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2013, 03:42 PM   #719
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral
 
Re: The Day of the Doctore Review Thread (Spoilers?)

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
but I can assure you that it's not on the forefront of Stephen Moffat's preoccupations and has very little to do with his casting decisions.
While I might actually agree with your main point, you're way overstepping in the above.

No, you can't assure us about Moffat's preoccupations and casting rationale because you're not in Moffat's head. You can, however, give us your opinion on Moffat's thoughts.

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2013, 03:54 PM   #720
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral
 
Captaindemotion's Avatar
 
Location: Ireland
Re: The Day of the Doctore Review Thread (Spoilers?)

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Now, I'm not really "down" with the kids anymore, I don't know a lot about hippity hop and Snoopy Snoopy Dog Dog...
But you get bonus points for a Father Ted reference.

The rest of you - back of the class with Father Damo!
__________________
Hodor!!!!!!!
Captaindemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:28 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.