Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: So what did you think?
Brilliant: Geronimo. 188 77.69%
Very Good: Bow Ties are Cool! 38 15.70%
Ok: Come along Ponds. 10 4.13%
Passable: Fish Fingers and Custard. 5 2.07%
Terrible: Who da man? 1 0.41%
Voters: 242. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 12 2013, 06:24 PM   #691
Psion
Commodore

View Psion's Twitter Profile
Re: The Day of the Doctore Review Thread (Spoilers?)

Christopher wrote: View Post

Since I'm a 3D novice, could you clarify your meaning? Are you just saying that it would make the shot look too dim? Because I noticed something in Gravity that might be completely different from what you're talking about, and I'm wondering whether it's common. On some of the shots of a bright spacesuited figure in the distance against the black of space, I got a bit of a double image that was there even when I closed one eye, so it must've been the result of the glasses failing to filter out one of the images completely. I'm wondering if that was a fault in my specific pair of glasses or in the theater's projection system, or if it's an endemic flaw in the process.
I think I've seen this as well, but on the 2D versions. Go to the scene where Queen Elizabeth's men surround the three Doctors. One of the guardsmen has a pike pointed at the camera, and the blade of the weapon has a peculiar, ghostly double-image. I've been wondering if this is an artifact of the 3D camera used, or was just a production glitch.
Old December 12 2013, 08:17 PM   #692
Christopher
Writer

As for the dimming effect, I've seen it often enough in 2D movies when the theater forgets to swap out the 3D lenses on the projector. I always assumed the actual 3D movies would be brighter because there were two images being projected instead of one.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2013, 09:15 PM   #693
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

Technically, if they had a projectionist adjusting the picture for every showing they could do things to mitigate the dimming effect but nope, it's no brighter and you have the dual effect of darkness due to the polarising lens and the glasses.
Old December 17 2013, 06:39 PM   #694
Relayer1
Commodore

If this is true, a great opportunity was wasted :

http://www.doctorwhoisepic.com/2/pos...-director.html
Old December 17 2013, 07:14 PM   #695
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Wow, that's surprising. I wonder why Moffat didn't want to even consider using Joe Aherne as a director (other than it's been 8 years since he worked on the show). Moffat clearly has a good working relationship with Nick Hurran, who directed some of the best recent episodes as well as one of the upcoming Sherlock episodes.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17 2013, 07:17 PM   #696
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

If this is true, it seems a bit strange that Eccleston would place such a specific demand for his return to a one-off.
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17 2013, 07:22 PM   #697
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

That's less surprising considering he has stated numerous times over the years how much enjoyed working with Joe Aherne.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17 2013, 07:53 PM   #698
diankra
Commodore

From what I understand, Ahearne was so exhausted by working on five episodes more or less in a row (because they'd asked him to handle the season finale at the last minute so as to keep Eccleston happy after seeing how well they worked together on the Dalek/Father's Day pair; some reports suggest that another director had already been hired and had to be paid off as a result) that his partner effectively barred him from returning to the show: sort of "If you want to kill yourself on that show, don't expect me to stay here and witness it." That might be a bit of an obstacle...
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17 2013, 09:38 PM   #699
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

How reliable is that site? Can't help but wonder if someone just made that story up on the back of Eccleston's tongue-in-cheek remark about returning for the 100th anniversary if Ahearne directed. Then again, I also wonder if Eccleston's joke was prompted by the original request.
Old December 18 2013, 03:44 AM   #700
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

Christopher wrote: View Post
PsychoPere wrote: View Post
The theater intros are not on the DVD / Blu-ray.
Well, that's disappointing. It would be a bummer if those of us who missed the theater showing never got to see them.

Although I'm disappointed in myself for not making more of an effort to see it in the theater.
I really wanted to see it in the theater. There was a theater showing it right next door to where I work. But I was really tired after work that day and I didn't want to wait around another 2 1/2 hours after work for it to start.

Here's hoping that the theater videos get posted online sometime soon. Everything Strax says is brilliant!

Ovation wrote: View Post
What you saw is often referred to as ghosting in the A/V media online fora. It is related, I believe, to something called crosstalk. If I understand the tech correctly, the problem is usually related to the projection system rather than the media itself. If you peruse a few A/V forum sites, you'll get a lot more info on this.
I thought "Ghosting" was more like this:
Old December 18 2013, 03:59 AM   #701
sttngfan1701d
Commodore

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
How reliable is that site? Can't help but wonder if someone just made that story up on the back of Eccleston's tongue-in-cheek remark about returning for the 100th anniversary if Ahearne directed. Then again, I also wonder if Eccleston's joke was prompted by the original request.
I had the exact same two thoughts. What's more, though, I can definitely see it going down like that the more I think about it.
sttngfan1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2013, 04:10 AM   #702
The Wormhole
Admiral

sttngfan1701d wrote: View Post
I had the exact same two thoughts. What's more, though, I can definitely see it going down like that the more I think about it.
I too am questioning the accuracy of the site and agree they seem to be taking Eccleston's praise of Ahearne a bit too seriously. I know Eccleston has long been known to view working with Ahearne to be one of the highlights of his time on Doctor Who, but I just imagine Eccleston walking into Moffat's office and saying "yeah I'll do it, if Ahearne directs it" and when Moffat said no Eccleston just turned and walked out. Kind of convenient that this also lead to the infamous falling out between Moffat and Caroline Skinner that led to her erasure.

Sure, it's a nice story, but no, I don't believe it.
Old December 18 2013, 04:29 AM   #703
DWF
Vice Admiral

I guess we'd have ask Matt Smith if Eccleston is in the 100th anniversary special, since he say it and it was filmed in 12D with all 58 Doctors in it.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2013, 02:06 PM   #704
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

That report first surfaced on Doctor Who Archive on the 9th. Doctor Who Is Epic lifted it wholecloth.

I think this was a story that took a lot of different known facts -- Eccleston met with Moffat and passed on the special, Eccleston said he would do the 100th-anniversary special if Ahearne directed, Moffat shouted at Skinner "You are erased from Doctor Who at a BBC function and she was reassigned to London -- tossed them into a blender, and made connections that aren't actually there.

I don't know if I said it here or at Gallifrey Base at the time, so I'll say it again. Signing Eccleston wasn't going to be like signing any other guest star. Eccleston wasn't going to appear just because he was free and needed the work. He would want things. It's the same problem the Star Trek movies had; if Harve Bennett wanted Sulu, he'd have to meet the price George Takei had (which usually involved some sort of meaningful scene). If Moffat wanted the Ninth Doctor, he was going to have to negotiate with Eccleston, sell him on appearing, and find some sort of common ground. I don't see Ahearne as a "make or break" demand; that really seems to me to be a "this would be nice" demand. I can, however, see a meaningful role and a finished script (so that Eccleston could judge whether or not the role was, in fact, meaningful) as a "make or break" demand. If Moffat was unable to provide Eccleston with a script, Eccleston would have shrugged and moved on.

I think that what we got worked out for the best, though. We got John Hurt as the Doctor! According to the new DWM, Hurt did, in fact, fill the narrative role that Eccleston would have filled. We wouldn't have had John Hurt in "The Day of the Doctor," and a world without John Hurt as the Doctor, especially a world without pictures of a boozy John Hurt and a Dalek in Buckingham Palace, scarcely bears thinking of.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2013, 04:45 PM   #705
The Wormhole
Admiral

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
I think that what we got worked out for the best, though. We got John Hurt as the Doctor! According to the new DWM, Hurt did, in fact, fill the narrative role that Eccleston would have filled. We wouldn't have had John Hurt in "The Day of the Doctor," and a world without John Hurt as the Doctor, especially a world without pictures of a boozy John Hurt and a Dalek in Buckingham Palace, scarcely bears thinking of.
So the War Doctor really was originally written for Eccleston? I did note in my review that it felt like the role was originally written for him.

Hmm, though this has me wondering. What if the only reason Eccleston turned it down was just because Moffat didn't have a completed script at the meeting and he just shrugged and walked away as you say? As great as John Hurt was, it really is a wasted opportunity if we missed out on having an actual Doctor return just because of Moffat's script-writing procrastination.