Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old December 17 2013, 11:37 PM   #16
TheUsualSuspect
Lieutenant

Re: your favorite standalone novel?

A couple older novels that haven't been mentioned here:
TOS: The Entropy Effect by Vonda McIntyre (the first Pocket original novel, published in 1981)
TNG: War Drums by John Vornholt

I also remember really liking Chain of Attack by Gene DeWeese, although it's technically not a standalone since it had a sequel, The Final Nexus (which I did not enjoy as much), and also a very loose connection (a couple references in the text) to the earlier novel The Abode of Life.
TheUsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2013, 12:01 AM   #17
Christopher
Writer

TheUsualSuspect wrote: View Post
I also remember really liking Chain of Attack by Gene DeWeese, although it's technically not a standalone since it had a sequel, The Final Nexus (which I did not enjoy as much), and also a very loose connection (a couple references in the text) to the earlier novel The Abode of Life.
It would be more fitting to say that Chain of Attack was a loose sequel to The Abode of Life, in that it began with the Enterprise returning to investigate the same space warp phenomenon that they'd fallen through in that novel and discovered it was part of a much larger network of "gates" (essentially wormholes). The references to TAoL are vague enough that you could read the book without realizing it was a sequel, but it essentially was, in that its events were directly precipitated by, and occurred soon after, the events of TAoL.

Although a thought just occurred to me that somehow has never occurred to me in the past 26 years since CoA came out: perhaps the book wasn't conceived as a TAoL sequel, but the references were added in because the two books dealt with similar ideas.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2013, 12:08 AM   #18
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Gulliver's Fugitives
Old December 18 2013, 12:30 AM   #19
Use of Time
Commodore

Vendetta
Old December 18 2013, 02:18 AM   #20
2takesfrakes
Commodore

There's only one STAR TREK novel I've read cover to cover and that is "TNG: Foreign Foes," which is so bad, with its cliches and homages, that it's surprisingly charming! And it took two authors, which is the most amusing bit: Dave Galanter and Greg Brodeur. Hmmm ... the only other book in this vein I've (mostly) read is "TOS: Spock, Messiah." Both of these I found in the Cheap Bin and unexpectedly, too! I enjoy Classic literature and Shakespeare. This, in fact, is what I spend the most time reading - when I have the time, that is ...
Old December 18 2013, 02:56 AM   #21
Tirius
Captain

I actually had problems finding stuff that qualifies as stand-alone. So much is serialized these days...

TOS: none that comes to mind, this is by far my smallest shelf. And it's dusty.
TNG: Dominion War duology by John Vornholt (standalone story, if split over 2 books)
DS9: A Stitch in Time by Andrew Robinson
VGR: Pathways by Jeri Taylor
ENT: A Choice of Futures by Christopher L. Bennett * (I guess this qualifies as standalone until the next one is due)

... and of the novelverse series:

NFR: Once Burned by Peter David
KE: Diplomatic Implausibility, by KRAD
and if any part of Titan can be qualified as standalone: Orion's Hounds, by Christopher again.

I'm reasonably sure SCE and Vanguard don't really qualify for the list, or if TLE does, so I'm leaving it at this.
Tirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2013, 04:08 AM   #22
trampledamage
Clone

Memory Prime, I think for me. I need to dig it out of the basement and read it again - hey, Christmas hols are coming up, perfect time to lose myself in Classic Trek novels again...

And he says that like it's a bad thing...
trampledamage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2013, 05:37 AM   #23
Smitty
Lieutenant Commander

Tirius wrote: View Post
I actually had problems finding stuff that qualifies as stand-alone. So much is serialized these days....
Agreed, which why figured I would ask, trolling for ideas I guess.
I love the series but they take longer to get into and finish.
Old December 18 2013, 08:09 AM   #24
ronny
Fleet Captain

View ronny's Twitter Profile

TOS - Prime Directive or Federation - There are quite a few stand alone TOS books I like.

TNG - Vedetta, Q-in-Law, Dark Mirror - Really want to put Imzadi here but it's got a sequel.

DS9 - Fallen Heroes or A Stitch in Time - I think ASiT was written as a stand alone even though it fits in with DS9R

ENT - Rosetta - Not many options and nothing else is close. Last Full Measure is second but not sure if that counts as a stand alone. If you remove the wrapper and focus on the novel then yeah.

VOY - nothing is really coming to me. Only Voyager books I've liked are Beyer and those are part of the main series but I haven't read most of the old numbered books. Maybe the Greg Cox book is good, he usually is.

My Star Trek reading progress.
ronny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2013, 08:17 AM   #25
BobtheGunslinge
Lieutenant

Ovation wrote: View Post
Darth Duck wrote: View Post
The Final Reflection, hands down.
Same here. I've read about 100 or so (have about 90 of them, in a box somewhere) since the early 80s and this is the only one for which I recall the title instantly and remember in any great detail (and I read it when it was first published). One of my biggest disappointments about Klingons on-screen after this book came out is how different (and inferior, to me) they have been compared to those in this book.

Do you mind going into more detail? I'm trying to understand why this was such a popular book for so many.

I read it a few years ago and I found it totally forgettable. I mean, I kind of remember an Ender's Game scene in the beginning, and Klin-zha as a chess game/game of thrones kind of metaphor and something about Klingons having transporters before the Federation, but I just don't see the greatness. What made The Final Reflection so meaningful?
BobtheGunslinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2013, 09:12 AM   #26
Slyvon
Lieutenant

View Slyvon's Twitter Profile

I haven't nearly as much as some of you but some of the standalone novels that come to mind:

Articles of the Federation
Rising Son
The Battle of Betazed
Vendetta
Dark Mirror
Slyvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2013, 10:17 AM   #27
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Very solid standalones for me: "The Entropy Effect", "Strangers from the Sky", "Uhura's Song" and "Ex Machina", plus "TNG: Metamorphosis", "TNG: Vendetta", "DS9: Fallen Heroes", "Captain's Table: NF: Once Burned", "Captain's Table: VOY: Fire Ship" and "DS9: Rising Son"!
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2013, 02:29 PM   #28
Trek Survivor
Captain

Lots of the earlier TNG novels rank very highly for me, in no particular order:

#23 War Drums
#28 Here There Be Dragons
#07 Masks
#09 A Call To Darkness
Reunion
Q-Squared
Dark Mirror
Imzadi

Michael Jan Friedman and John Vornholt are my favourite Trek authors (I only really read TNG; have tried others, but not enjoyed them so much).
Old December 18 2013, 03:14 PM   #29
Christopher
Writer

ronny wrote: View Post
Really want to put Imzadi here but it's got a sequel.
Several of the other cited "standalones" in the thread so far have sequels as well, so go ahead.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2013, 08:39 PM   #30
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

TNG: Q-Squared
VOY: Fire Ship